Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: I'm in Frankfurt Germany
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bostonmeche
Hi all,
I managed to find myself in Frankfurt for a couple weeks. I was curious of those that have been there, do you have some ideas of cool car related things to do there? I already looked at renting a tail dragger or a Boxster S and cruise the Autobahn but found the $500/day price tag a bit much for me. If you know of any cheaper places to rent fun cars at let me know too! driving.gif
rhodyguy
not kar related. hop on a train and head for karlsruhe. then go up to baden baden. nice day trip.

k
Allan
I don't know too much about the city but I've been through the airport plenty of times. I used to try and plan longer lay-overs just because there was so much to do at the airport itself.
Dr. Roger
This Sat is the Apple Wine Festival in Zeil Frankfurt. It's huge and their famous for it.

Also there are many "eros centers". (No, there is no difference than a *hore house in the US...) in the RLD near the hauptbahnhof & on the riverbank etc. Also a few FKK's & plenty of cool international bars especially across the river in alten sachenhousen?

Nightlife is 24h, but bars & discos close around 4/5am...

There's also the Museum Mile down by the river.
Since there's a college nearby, the river is where i'd suggest going and meeting people... biggrin.gif
Or do something boring like a cruise on the Rhine. Bring a special friend and make it less boring... wink.gif

Also... The U bahns run till about 3:00 am
Brent
Stuttgart is just a train ride away. At the factory check out the Museum and possibly a tour on Fridays?? If you go, ask where the Parts center is. I picked up some nice hardback option books for cars (back in 94). They were free.

My wife always reminds me we didn't visit Cologne or Neuschwanstein castle.

Just flew in and out of Frankfurt, so don't know much about the city.
balljoint
Just a ride on one of the ICE trains can be fun. Especially if they let you hang your head out the window at 200 kph.

I have also found that body checking Germans on the escalators at the airport can be a source of amusement. In my country that would result in two people apologizing to each other. In Germany it is commonplace to crash into other people and ignore that it ever happened. (Or I may be way off on this and have almost started an international incident. Thank God for my giant USA Flag jacket) biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
train to amsterdam smoke.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 19 2005, 10:32 AM)
train to amsterdam smoke.gif

It's true. a couple of hours and your there.
U got the "Bars". I suggest the Bull Dog. Hash and grass abound.
The red light district. Fun to go shopping... Large display windows... biggrin.gif
and lastly, the Heineken brewery. U get an educational movie, U can "smoke" during the movie biggrin.gif , and dring all you can for 15 minutes. This can be a brutal experience.

Oh and I forgot to mention if you venture to Munich the English Garden is kinda' nice. On sunny days the ladies like to go topless. God bless Germany....
Oh and the BMW factory is cool too.
r_towle
Hi,
Rent a BMW, they are cheaper...All the cars in Germany are limited to 250 KPH..they all have computer chips that keep them at that speed in stock form

I found the 328 to be the fastest and the cheapest from Avis.

I would say Stuttgart is a must do.
The Rhine is close by, so is Paris...

Baden Baden I found to be kinda boring.
If you go to Munich, find a good outdoor beer garten, its alot of fun and some really good company will be found.

You can take a train anywhere in Europe from Frankfurt, its a hub of finance and all the trains will get you there.

Have fun.

rich
mikelsr
We were over there a year ago visiting our daughter who is stationed near Frankfurt working for the DoD. We rented a new Merc-Benz for less than renting a small Ford (if I remember is was about 500 Euro's for a week unlimited mileage). Cruising at 135 mph for a long time was a lot of fun (my wife would never look at the speedometer). We did visit the Neuschwanstein castle, and others, floated the Rhine, visited the Black Forest area.

We made it down to the Porsche factory for a pre-arranged tour - this is a MUST do if you get a chance. And we also did a lot of day tours around Germany. It is a very beautiful country and we got along great with the Germans, even when they didn't speak any English and we didn't speak any german.
Gustl
QUOTE (r_towle @ May 19 2005, 09:54 PM)
All the cars in Germany are limited to 250 KPH..

this is only a gentlemen's agreement from "the big ones" like BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen and so
be sure that a Porsche isn't limited to 250 km/h smile.gif
rhodyguy
word up regarding what we called "fish bars" when i was stationed in the GDR. the girl with her hand on your thigh will drink "cocktails" (coca cola) all night long or as long as your money lasts. they can drink like a fish. hence the term. as chris rock said "remember, there is no sex in the champaine room". if you want them to make a hasty retreat, the only thing you offer to buy is 1 beer.

k
VegasRacer
Almost anyplace you want to go is just a train ride away.
Get a sleeper car and wake up in the city / country of your choice.
If you are stuck in Frankfurt, the Sachsenhausen area has some great clubs, bars and restaurants.
Brent
Ah Germany...good times...

My navigator (wife) reminded me Ludwigsburg is just right around the corner. The castle and garden grounds are good places to spend some time.
Verruckt
Frankfurt is cool! Lived there for a short time. Definitely check out Sachsenhausen wink.gif
There is all kinds of cool shops along the Fussganger platz? Look for the ubahn breaking up through the sidewalk. wink.gif If I remember correctly, been quite a few years. If you can, take a late night train to Munich, and check out the Deutsches Museum. It's like the Smithsonian, but on steroids. You could also take the train to Heidelberg, and check out Heidelberg castle, its pretty cool. Sounds like a blast. biggrin.gif
michelko
HI,
try the technik Museum in Speyer or Sinzheim. Not to far away.
Some cool stuff about cars, trains, tanks, planes,....

smilie_flagge6.gif
bostonmeche
Wow! This is awesome! We now have more than enough to do in the time we have left. beer3.gif My wife and I have toured some of the places mentioned, but there are many more options that we were on the fence that you guys pushed us over on. I just got to convince her that the Munich English Garden is the most typically German.
Brent
I would like to see documentation of that garden please. Official 914club business is all the wife need hear.
redshift
Take plenty of clean underwear, they don't sell clean underwear in Germany!

unsure.gif

M
Series9
There's only one thing you do from Frankfurt: drive south to the Porsche factory. I've done it. You won't regret it.
Brent
QUOTE (redshift @ May 19 2005, 11:59 PM)
they don't sell clean underwear in Germany!

Cmon...I went from a vision of sweaty, sun drunched tata's in the English Garden in Munchen to dir/...unclean underwear?

going back to happy place, happy place, happy pla..........
maf914
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 19 2005, 10:27 AM)
I have also found that body checking Germans on the escalators at the airport can be a source of amusement. In my country that would result in two people apologizing to each other. In Germany it is commonplace to crash into other people and ignore that it ever happened.

I lived in Frankfurt for several years and one of the things that surprised me was the "me-first" behavior in crowded public places. People would never step aside and politely allow others to go first. If you slowed to allow someone to be first someone else would push through as well. Several times when I held a door for a women, a man would push through, acting like I was chump! Eventually I tired of this and just went for it. Hip and shoulder checks were mandatory. wacko.gif

Another surprise was that in the typically orderly German social system, where there are rules and regulations for practically everything, the people will not stand in line to wait their turn. Everyone must get to the counter first. Once again, hip and shoulder checks were mandatory. wacko.gif

It would take a trip to England to remember what "queing up" meant! laugh.gif

But, let me conclude by saying that I did enjoy my years in Germany very much. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.