Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Car disposal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
what do you do with a totally parted out body? can you call those " give us your car - running or not, tax deductable" places, and have them take it away? or do you have to pay to have it taken away? also, how much does a stripped body weigh?
tryan
i know a guy that donated a celica gt to the kidney foundation. it ran though.

cut it up into sections and weld up a 914 modern art statue for your front lawn. then put a $3000 price tag on it to see if someone will buy it.

stripped, i would guess 800-900#.
Aaron Cox
is there any use in cutting out fenders and such?
tryan
you can cut off the drivers side rear corner for me. i am desperate. huh.gif maybe the control arm too.

look up a few metal recyclers in the yellow pages. if you have a sawzall, you could cut it up into managable sections and get some money for the metal. instead of paying to get it towed. (i am the fool that owns a truck and gets the willyoubemyfriendandtowthisforme phone calls. duh. okay)

5-17 cents a pound? i know scrap copper(pure) is 90 cents/pound.
scotty
biggrin.gif Isn't a Viking Funeral (fire) a traditional farewell for 914's? biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
there is a place is the Seattle area that will pay for the steel if cut up into four pieces and if it weights more that 1500lbs. If not you just dump it for free. I loaded the 70 914 into the F250 pickup and pushed it into the pile there.

Geoff
nomore4
Try some local towing company's. They should be able to dump it for free at a scrap yard and may only charge for their time.

joe

dance.gif
garyh
I've done it twice now.

You're in California. You need a 'junk slip'. Free from the DMV, go get it.

The 1st one I took the local body shop that does a lot of 914 work (Hi Scott!), and he cut it up and put the pieces on customer cars.

The 2nd one I took to the local dismantler (Hi Rich!), and he took care of it.

Any junk yard can/will deal with it, once -you- get the junk slip.

Weight? Dunno, but 4 people lifted it easily onto a flat-bed without any budweiser.
Joe Bob
Sawzall the fenders, the rest in a dumpster or the dump....BTDT....
tryan
i'm working on this one for my own viking funeral in 40 years. ......little stain and 13 coats of varnish.
2teeners
i could use the right rear fend and door post pillar, if you saw it.
Aaron Cox
well see. i comtemplating cost / benefit analysis on (soon to be) mine parts car
anthony
Yes, you need the junk slip or title for the regular junk yards to take it. Often, when people don't have the title on these types of junkers they do the cut up method and then take it to the dump or a metal recycler.
EdwardBlume
If you have the title, be sure to surrender the title and possibly get rid of the VINs if you end up cutting it up for scrap yourself. Otherwise, CA will just keep sending you renewal notices.
rhodyguy
you guys and your sawsalls. what ever you spend for blades, time hauling it away plus gas, what ever time you burn up cutting it up, screwing your back up loading that one big piece. last time it cost me $20 to have one drug out. would you work anywhere else for what you are saving if you figured it at an hourly wage?

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2003, 10:30 AM)
last time it cost me $20 to have one drug out. would you work anywhere else for what you are saving if you figured it at an hourly wage?

yeah, but you're missing out on the fun!

invite some friends over, fire up the barbecue, get the Sawzall and the blow torch out and have fun ...

plus, if you're clever, you can sell most of the rust-free CA pieces to guys on the east coast for BIG money, har har happy11.gif

Andy
rhodyguy
andy, it takes me so long to get stuff done that i think my head would explode, if i started cutting one up with the silver car needing time.

kevin
Lawrence
Cutting up a car? Geez, one afternoon and a 12 pack.

I have to admit... when we did the Bumblebee, it was the recipient of donations from several sawzall'd cars. Of which, I was very grateful.

One cut up can save many. Even though my old 72 was a rustbucket, it had a good front trunk floor. I cut it out for someone... and a couple years later someone repaid the favor by helping me out with something and it was completely unexpected (and greatly appreciated).

-Rusty smoke.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 6 2003, 09:30 AM)
you guys and your sawsalls. what ever you spend for blades, time hauling it away plus gas, what ever time you burn up cutting it up, screwing your back up loading that one big piece. last time it cost me $20 to have one drug out. would you work anywhere else for what you are saving if you figured it at an hourly wage?

kevin

It's therapy....cheaper than a shrink's hourly rate and you don't go to jail...... rolleyes.gif
krk
QUOTE(tryan @ Jul 5 2003, 03:45 PM)
i'm working on this one for my own viking funeral in 40 years. ......little stain and 13 coats of varnish.

Ok, more details. Wooden boats rule. (I spent a little time in the Muskokas where these things are a sport of their own) Chriscraft? Year? Etc.

kim.
seanery
I used to LIVE on a wooden boat!

63 Chriscraft 37'
tryan
krk, i like to water ski for therapy and i have three old correct crafts. this one is 1960 18' starflite, gray marine fireball v8 327 cu in based on a continental block. low rise intake with two side draft carters. shifter on the collum, go pedal on the floor.

i hit a BIG pothole on 77 in w va and it put a crack in the transom. board sanding the whole puppy the only way to get that mirror finish.
mr914
I could use some custom cuts from the front inner fenderwells.
ThinAir
It would be nice to see some pictures of a car that has been cut up to see how it was done so that there were useable parts left over. Cutting it up to just get rid of it is probably easy. Doing it so that you've got useable fenders left over may be a bit more difficult.
Malmz
Cut up one 914 and you will know more about how the car is built structurally then you could ever imagine.

I've shipped cut parts all the way to the east coast. Easier if you know before hand what people need, then you can cut around those areas and hack more on the rest.

After the main parts are carefully removed from the car (interior, etc), it takes about 5 hours to wack the roller with one person (see avitar) with a sawzall... I haven't tried a plasma cutter.

Only cut the ones that are too far gone to save, otherwise ship the solid rollers east...

sm
dan10101
Here's one we did with a 14" cutoff saw. Still have some pieces..
dan10101
Here it is before sectioning it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.