Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cheap clutch replacement??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
capn914
Hi guys & gals

I'm going to swap out the engine soon, and the clutch is slipping too. I'll need to replace it, but I cannot get over the cost. I am pleading for good news here.

Any info on low cost packages from anyone apart from the major 914 parts-houses?

And excuse my french, but this is just a !@#$% VW engine, I just cannot believe there is not a compatible clutch to be found in the JC Whitney catalog.

Thanks in advance.

Russ
Woodland Hills, CA
tat2dphreak
lol2.gif

you can shop around and get a 6-spring sachs clutch on ebay that may save you $20... but really, no that's just how much they are...

get Pelican's Kit... it has everyhintg you need in it... including the good, 6-spring clutch... a good shop can turn the flywheel for you, if it's within spec, so you don't have to buy a new one of those...

IIRC, if it was going into a BUS with a BUS tranny, BUS fly, you could get a cheaper clutch/plate, I think... BUT it's not... so if you are mating it to the 901, you need the clutch kit...

believe me I still get sticker shock on things... these little cars are mucho dinero, but still less than a 911... unless you have a /6, then you're fuct.

shop around though and if possible use the club site, they will track down the parts and give you a great deal, plus you will be supporting the club's events/tents from what I understand...
capn914
Thanks Wayne. I'll check around the classifieds etc., I knew I should do that but I guess I just had to vent. That "deluxe kit" is about 4 bills, bro. That's a quarter of what I paid for this car! I guess you get what you pay for, and you'll pay eventually either way.

I checked out your floorpan thread -- some guys said they got flashbacks, I guess I'm having flash-precognition. I can see it coming and I dread it as a leper would dread a ride on the Great American Scream Machine. Oh yes! I'll be posting!

I'm sure glad you and all the other veterans have provided this amazing reference with photos and whatnot. Thanks a million.

Seeya

Russ
Woodland Hills, CA
Jake Raby
I have a good price on the pieces individually, when I started the store I beat everyone's price I could find by at least 5 bucks...

Carlitos Way
So, Jake... why not offer a "full kit" for those of us who want a one-stop shop? I think that's one of the reason people swarm to Pelican Parts and such. It's nice to know you can get "everything you need" and not have to hunt it down when you're under 3" of grime and grease.

I'd probably be up for a clutch from you as well, if I could get a "comparable" kit.

Thanks,

Carlos
bondo
If you don't mind having to do it again sooner, you could always go with used parts. I had a pile of clutches and flywheels that still had some life left. I carted them around to swap meets for a while, but they eventually got tossed because I couldn't give them away. You should be able to get back on the road real cheap that way, but of course your mileage may vary!
tat2dphreak
the d-luxe kit is worth every penny!!

I just did it last year... I DID get a 6-spring clutch off ebay and bought the rest of the kit from PP... but it didn't save me much, maybe $40 total... not worth the extra hassle...

I had my flywheel done local... $40

and yes it was about 1/3 the price of my car... but I have learned you can't think of it like that... I have a $1500 car(shell+spare engine) with $2k in the(another) engine, $500 clutch/tranny (bushings, etc) and another $500 in interior... and I'm not counting all the other stuff... Brakes were another few hundred, and there's a lot of little stuff too...

we're always glad to help, but if you have the engine out already, you'll find the clutch job is not hard... there are great tech articles here and on pelican to help you! not only that, there are usually a lot more locals than you realize... and they are usually more than willing to drop by and help, and their prices are cheap:
beer.gif
anthony
QUOTE (capn914 @ May 19 2005, 02:45 PM)
That "deluxe kit" is about 4 bills, bro.  That's a quarter of what I paid for this car! I guess you get what you pay for, and you'll pay eventually either way.

That's the way it works. biggrin.gif It's good that you figured it out now. All 914s end up costing you $10-20K over time.

Joe Bob
If you get up to Santa Barbara....I have a bunch of used clutches and flywheels and stuff that came with Manfred....since it's a six now....don't need them. They look...OK....not new, not toast.

Free....I don't deliver....
Joe Bob
Also....Kennedy Engineered Products IN Palmdale always has good prices on new stuff.....they build there own discs and use Sachs PP and TOs....
Rouser
QUOTE (capn914 @ May 19 2005, 05:45 PM)
That "deluxe kit" is about 4 bills, bro. That's a quarter of what I paid for this car! I guess you get what you pay for, and you'll pay eventually either way.

What you paid for your car and what you'll pay to fix it can't be compared in any way, shape, or form. 914's have a way of getting their fair share of your wallet, one way or another.

$400 for a complete kit, with EVERYTHING included, to do a 914 clutch job sounds pretty good, considering its one-stop nature. Good luck finding all the correct parts cheaper (somebody somewhere's gonna ship you the wrong part) just to save ... what ... $40 bucks?
Mueller
has anyone looked into getting thier clutch disc re-built with new friction media??

anthony
Wow, I can't believe the price difference between the 4 spring and 6 spring 911 clutch discs. I guess you could shave $90 off the Pelican "kit" price by buying the 4 spring disc. Does it make that much difference?
bd1308
dudes, $400 is CHEAP!!!! my dad's rover clutch job was 2Gs....no freaking kidding!!! a new tranny is 5Gs and the new hood that some guy's insurance will pay( backed into my dad) is $1100 alone...just for parts.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 19 2005, 07:38 PM)
dudes, $400 is CHEAP!!!! my dad's rover clutch job was 2Gs....no freaking kidding!!! a new tranny is 5Gs and the new hood that some guy's insurance will pay( backed into my dad) is $1100 alone...just for parts.

yep a new clutch in my Dad's truck(Ford F350 powerstroke diesel) just cost him 2k... I don't want to know how much a new porsche clutch job will cost...
MattR
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 19 2005, 04:38 PM)

bleh, its never cheap enough
TimT
hehe
bd1308
WOAH...i just crapped my pants. that setup looks awesome
nyum96
This does not help but I got my clutch kit for $450 total, including new flywheel. The places I got them from when up after I bought it. Thats a 6 spring set up too and a new OE flywheel. Awesome deal.

Keep pricing and looking around.

BB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.