Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SDS shipping is the best!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Although I had told Ross at SDS I was grabbing a wide-band meter last week I didn't order it till Tuesday, May 17th and when I did he said they were out of stock, but they should have more there that day. I was all ready for a couple of weeks wait.

Well holy crap...two days later and it's here!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Absolutely no one I've ever dealt with is this fast.

The WMS meter is real small, also it comes with 12 feet of cable so that should be lots, even for our cars.

BTW I'm now an SDS dealer. smile.gif
Mark Henry
In a couple of days I should have a direct comparison between a Haltec AF 30 narrow-band and a WMS wide-band meter.
cool_shades.gif
balljoint
Hey Mark, if possible, when you post your analysis, could you also explain it in more simple terms? I love all the new possibilities with these motors and the analysis with new parts and systems. Unfortunately I don't have the background to fully comprehend some of the stuff you have been talking about. Of course if it's just me then nevermind. wacko.gif
mattillac
some pics of the goods, if you please. rolleyes.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (mattillac @ May 19 2005, 04:05 PM)

Camera batteries dead...sorry

This is the one: http://sdsefi.com/wmsmm.htm
Mueller
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ May 19 2005, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (mattillac @ May 19 2005, 04:05 PM)

Camera batteries dead...sorry

This is the one: http://sdsefi.com/wmsmm.htm

is that calibrated in Metric units for you people up North?? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

have fun with it......reminds me I need to get my 02 reader back from McMark soon for my car smash.gif
Mark Henry
I was going to say that the harness was about 4 metre’s long…but I knew most of you guy’s wouldn’t know what I was talking about. wink.gif
lapuwali
If you can, see if you can get McMark's handy stub pipe for the sensor. I may want to try the thing on the 912, futzing with the carbs, and that pipe would be very handy, since I don't want to put a bung into the 912 exhaust system. Reminds ME I need to buy a sensor...
lapuwali
QUOTE (balljoint @ May 19 2005, 11:49 AM)
Hey Mark, if possible, when you post your analysis, could you also explain it in more simple terms? I love all the new possibilities with these motors and the analysis with new parts and systems. Unfortunately I don't have the background to fully comprehend some of the stuff you have been talking about. Of course if it's just me then nevermind. wacko.gif

If it's the difference between narrow-band (NB) and wide-band (WB) sensors, that's tripping you up, it's pretty simple.

Engines run on air/fuel mixtures ranging from 10:1 (very rich, lots of fuel) to 17:1 (very lean, little fuel). Best power is achieved with the mixture around 12-13:1. Best economy (gas mileage) is achieved with the mixture around 16-17:1. Best emissions with a modern catalytic convertor are achieved with 14.7:1, which also happens to be the "chemically correct" mixture for getting 100% combustion when burning gasoline in air.

Narrow-band sensors were invented to detect in a very unambiguous way when the air/fuel mixture was EXACTLY 14.7:1, since emissions were the primary concern. They act as a three-way switch: rich, just right, lean. It's the nature of these "swicthes" that you can really read them as: way rich, a bit rich, a tiny bit rich, just right, a smidge lean, somewhat lean, way lean. However, you can't reliably attach a number like 14:1 to "a smidge rich", nor can you rely on all sensors behaving properly beyond the three way rich/right/lean scale. So, the 10-20 LED meters out there aren't really telling you the truth.

Wide-band sensors use a different technology, and are accurate from at least 10:1 to 20:1. They were originally invented for the cars that deliberately run quite lean for excellent economy. However, where the narrow band sensors are very simple devices that require very little effort to read, the wide-band sensors require much more complicated electronics to make them work. 6-7 years ago, wide-band setups cost $800-1000, and the sensors alone were over $400. Today, the sensors are down around $25 each, and the control electronics are as cheap as $150 retail. Now, you can have a meter with 10-20 LEDs on it that really mean something. You can reliably tune an engine to run exactly at 13:1 or 15:1 or 18:1.

Mark's tests should show us just how far off the NB sensors are from the WB sensors in accuracy. The Halmeters NB units are supposed to be one of the better ones (they're certainly one of the more expensive ones) out there. It will be very interesting to read Mark's test results.
balljoint
Thanks James, that was perfect.
Mark Henry
I got some batteries biggrin.gif

Thats a quarter in the pic...and the datalog cable.
Mark Henry
The whole kit (less the instructions) the software for datalogging you download from their site.

The harness looks like it's covered in that firebraid covering...but I'm not going to try it. wink.gif
Mark Henry
The sensor connector
TimT
Thats impressive, looks like they got the heater/contoller for the sensor, and the display all in one tiny package!

That also look like a LSU 4.X connector.. you can get these sensors for a little as $29USD..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.