Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Daily driver got wrecked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom Perso
Hey Guys,

About 2 or 3 months ago, I picked up a super clean, 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, 103K miles. Car was BONE stock, still had the stock radio and TEMS shocks. Interior was perfect, it ran smooth and strong, and was pretty comfortable.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Ok, so it's not real fast looking in light blue, but it hides from the cops... smile.gif

Well, yesterday, coming home from work, I was travelling down a 4 lane highway. Oncoming traffic was at a stop due to contruction. I moved to the right lane to stay away from traffic. As I head checked and started to come over, I look back in front of me - Some asshole decided not to wait in line and pulled a U-Turn (illegal, of course) right in front of me. I tried to swerve, but it was too late. I tagged his POS Thunderbird with my left front.

It's all in slow motion, but I remember hitting my head on the A-pillar (was wearing a seatbelt). Next thing I knew, I was skidding down the road with the brake pedal to the floor. Nothing's happening. As I look to my left, I see my left front tire PASSING me down the road. Well, I finally ground to a halt up onto the curb...

I was doing about 55mph (Posted speed limit was 55) when I hit him, never had time for the brakes.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Police show up on the scene, this dude claims that I was "speeding" and that's why I HIT HIM. mad.gif finger.gif Cop looked at him and laughed and proceeded to write him the ticket. The cops were pretty nice to me, offered me a ride to a gas station to wait for my wife to come pick me up.

So, I was feeling a little stunned and whatnot from the actual accident. But, last night I started gettting dizzy, light headed, blurred vision, and some nausea. Soooo, off to the ER we go. They did some checking, I got a CAT scan which showed no bleeding on the brain.

Doc tells me it's a typical concussion, take 800mg of Motrin, and sorry about tomorrow, cause you're gonna hurt.

And holy shit, do I. My back and neck feel like I got pegged with a baseball bat. Other than more Mortrin, anyone have any suggestions?

Luckily, I have full coverage on the car - it'll probably get totalled, which then I'll buy it back and part it out. Me thinks I might find another Supra and drop this one's drivetrain in, or maybe a Cressida and do a 7M-GTE and 5-speed conversion... smile.gif Or, I'll sell the parts and get a 3-series. Who knows.

Just needed to vent... ar15.gif finger.gif chair.gif

Tom
Joe Bob
Sorry to hear about the incident...

Can you get a KEP adapter plate for a 914 and that engine???? cool_shades.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ May 19 2005, 03:26 PM)
My back and neck feel like I got pegged with a baseball bat. Other than more Mortrin, anyone have any suggestions?

Take one or two days off from work to "recover", have the motrin and some beer.gif

It will hurt, but since your CAT scan didn't show anything bad, you'll feel much better after a couple days of rest. While you are resting, you can imagine how good it would feel to torture the bastard who caused the accident happy11.gif Hopefully your insurance doesn't try to screw you beerchug.gif
machina
glad your OK, just stay in bed and read the autotrader. smile.gif
sportlicherFahrer
DAMN! that sux. A month ago I totaled my daily driver(not my fault) and that is how i came to be on this site, if you catch my meaning. cool.gif I wonder how one of those motors might fit into a 914?? happy11.gif
messix
looks fixable.

and get some vicodan and have a few beer.gif
ArtechnikA
i'm no fan of Toyotas but that truly sucks; i feel bad for you.

but everybody knows TurboSupras make 1000 HP so you should probably just transplant the engine into a 914...
Tom Perso
Ok, this is why this club rocks...

I just posted this, and not 5 minutes later I have quite a few replys, good lucks, sorry to hear, whadda gonna do with the motor smilie_pokal.gif (hey, you can't turbo a 914!)...

I even got a PM offering some advice.

Thanks everyone... I feel much better now!!! smile.gif

Tom
tat2dphreak
that sucks tom, hope it gets back on the road soon...

maybe you can get it painted while it's being fixed... smile.gif
Jenny
This is a perfect opportunity to get yourself one of these...user posted image drooley.gif

Jen
ematulac
Sorry to hear that, Tom.

I can actually relate with ya ... I bought a pretty blue A4 Avant right after you got the Supra ... I wrecked it about 2 weeks ago on Angeles Forest Highway on the way to work. sad.gif

My co-worker is starting to wonder about us 914 drivers ... unsure.gif
GWN7
Sorry to hear about the hit.

If your back & neck still hurt after a few days, find a good chiropractor and a massage therapist (one who has done deep tissue work).

When I had my little hit (head thru rear window of my old PU Truck) I tore a lot of mussel tissue and the massage was the only way to remove the scar tissue off the new mussels.
Lou W
Wow, that's a bummer, hope you feel better. Take the money and buy a tub to but that motor in. biggrin.gif
Mueller
that sucks...at least you walked away from it....I've been seeing more and more of those roadside memorials on my commute...it's kinda scary knowing I'm passing one in an area that someone did something stupid and took out 5 innocent people in less than a second (head one at 70mph+)

count your blessings and keep looking forward.... beerchug.gif
Toast
Sorry to hear that. sad.gif

I got in a car wreck in Sept. 03 and my neck still hurts. It was quite a more serious accident than yours mine you. wacko.gif

*Do these neck exercises and it will help you feel better faster.

1.turn your head and try to look over each shoulder. hold for no more that 5 seconds each. Repeat.
2. tip your head all the way forward and all the way back and hold for no more that 5 seconds each. Repeat.
3. tip your head sideways and try to put your ear on your shoulder, each side, and hold for no more that 5 seconds each. Repeat.
4. take your right hand and place against the side of your head. try to push your head into your hand, while resisting with your hand. Head should not move! hold for no more that 5 seconds each. Repeat. Repeat with left hand. *This is great for strengthening the neck muscles. It provides the most relief for me.
5. Take your hand and place on your forhead. Push your head forward into your hand, while resisting with your hand. Head should not move! ....You know the rest from here.
6 Cup your hands and place them behind your head. HAND BEHIND YOUR HEAD. biggrin.gif Try pushing your head back into your hands while resisting with your hands. You know what to do.

These only take ONE MINUTE!! But it really relives the soarness and helps strenghen your neck
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Tom; Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Perfect remendy
for you is to come over to Ypsilanti Sunday and hang out with the SMOG guys at the Mich VW show. I promise we will all commiserate with you. Dave slap.gif
fiid
Dude.... that sucks. I've had whiplash a couple of times and it always hurts for like a couple of weeks. Just try and take it easy. The thing that really sucks is when you discover the one head movement you can't make any more.... my last one was a direct rear-ending - so I found I actually couldn't pick my head up (i.e. sit up in bed) anymore - I had to roll oin my side and then sit up sideways. (EDIT: Can't like "it hurts", not can't like "the titanium rod won't let me" smile.gif. I've been fortunate)

On the bright side - 3 liter turbo V6.. Japanese reliability. Hell Yeah - get that into a 914!!!! Can you say rocketship?

smilie_pokal.gif
Toast
QUOTE (messix @ May 19 2005, 01:34 PM)
looks fixable.

and get some vicodan and have a few beer.gif

Actually, i've mixed those two before.

VERY Bad Idea! barf.gif

........but I knew what you ment Troy. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
TimT
have the motrin and some:beer1:

thats a bad combo also... read the fine print on the Motrin.. your liver wont be happy

sucks about the accident. though the car looks fixable.. depending on what the insurance will do with a car that age.

Dead Air
I always liked those cars, too. My Toyota truck just passed 300K this week. Why don't D.L.'s require an IQ test?
mharrison
I'm not a big proponent of lawsuits, but since he tried to screw you with the cops, screw him back. Call your local one-call attorney and he'll send you to the right doctor!
ChrisFoley
I'm glad to hear you're ok Tom!
I totalled an old VW Golf shortly after buying it, but I was alone on the road. I hit a retaining wall head on at about 20mph after sliding on black ice. I bent the steering wheel pretty good and cracked the windshield, but no pain. I would've fixed the car because I liked it and had spent $$ on new upholstery. Unfortunately the impact buckled the roof.
xsboost90
man that sux! i had a blue 90 supra turbo- xsboost90 wink.gif - i was just thinking this morning about how much i miss that thing on the drive to work, turbo turbo turbo! If you decide to not fix it and its not totalled, let me know a price! idea.gif
Pnambic
I can second the Chiropractic suggestion, but warn that you may end up handling the bills out of pocket.

MrsPnambic was in a nasty accident a few years ago and suffered serious back injuries. She went through all the physical Therapy and meds and it was helping, but very slowly. On her doctor's suggestion, she visited a Chiropractor and viola! It worked!

The other guy's insurance refused to consider it a valid expense though. They said Chiroprators were all quacks and wouldn't cover the bills. Couple that with an idiot lawyer that couldn't tell his...grrr....getting mad thinking about it...

Basically, all that she was awarded for the pain and suffering went to pay the Chiropractor's bills, and he discounted it for us when he found out we were getting screwed. Nice doc. Just a bad situation.

Hope you come out better than we did.
1bad914
Tom that sux!! Call me! 5101
djm914-6
Glad you walked away!! I wish you a speedy recovery.

I am so tired of hearing stories like these. There are way too many idiots on the road that get away with everything and anything. I'm constantly seeing people run lights and stop signs, stopping in the 2nd or 3rd lane of a highway to make an exit that's backed up, waiting till the last minute to change lanes for a turn, and TALKING ON CELL PHONES. It's time that people get their licenses pulled for more than too many speeding tickets. Yeah, I know speeding is breaking the law too, but it's stupidity that kills.

/rant

Peace
messix
good morning Tom

how are you feeling today?

i didn't say it yeasterday, but i had been in a rear ender three years ago. the guy driving a roofing truck never hit the brakes while i was stopped at a traffic light, he hit doing about 40mph. i'm still not back to normal, still alot of daily pain.

so do your self a favor and keep on with seeing the doctor and get every test and picture now so they [the insurance companies] can't screw withyou later. this is happening to me to this day.

and turn your cars damage claim to your insurance, and get it fixed the way you want it fix. i tried to work with the other guys insurance to fix mine and they wouldn't let the body shop fix it correctly.

just some avise from some one who's been burned about as bad as you can from those antichrist POS insurance co.

good luck and rest up
Tom Perso
Hey guys...

Just as an update, I'm feeling much better now. So, I guess I got lucky...

The car was totalled, I had someone buy it from me so I turned a little profit.

I just picked this little gem up yesterday....

user posted image

Sorry about the crummy pics, my 1 megapixel camera is on it's way out...

But, I digress... It's an 89 325is, just getting broke in at 175,000 miles. It's been religiously maintained and runs like a top. As long as I can keep the smoke in the wires, I'll be all set.

Came with a new set of Yokohama Icegaurd winter tires and a set of Avid H4's for summer use.

user posted image

The 2.5 is in great shape and runs like a sewing machine. Seems to run a little rich under power and higher revs, so maybe the O2 sensor is on it's way out? Gotta look into that...

user posted image

Pretty clean for 175K, eh?

Fun car... smile.gif

Later,
Tom
tat2dphreak
clap.gif

kick ass!! better than that ol' rice cooker anyday! now, put some Brats on the ex. manifold, drive around the block at high speeds then drink 2 pints of Hefeweisen to christen that bitch! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.