Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: painting the black parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
So I'd like to paint my car myself and I thought I would practice on the top, front and rear valences, and rocker panels first. I've sanded and painted small models, but nothing as big as a car. I'm taking them a few pieces at a time.

I've researched and seen the posts about the type of paint and getting the texture right. However, I'd like to use a spray gun, not a rattle can, since that's what I'd like to paint the whole car with and want to get a feel for using it. So, I'm thinking I'd get some sort of texture paint to apply the texture, then go over it with a spray gun.

1. What texture paint gives a finer texture:
a) Rustoluem Hammered
b) Line-X (seems like this is really thick and rough)
c) undercoating (is this the stuff made by VHT?)

2. What kind of paint can I spray over the texture coat for the final coat? I'd like satin black, but want it to last. The car is garaged, but I'd like something durable.

I do NOT want to do a gel coat and have to mess with having the gun spit out the right texture (like McMark did. That was bichin' paint job, by the way!).
I do not care if it matches the original perfectly, I just want a slight texture to hide the inevitable scuffs when I remove the top and put it in the trunk.
burton73
Wurth Stone Guard Spray paint that is the standard for Valances on 911sc and I think that may be what you want. They have it in black but if looking for a great black paint Wurth Sateen Black worked great on my top on my 76.

Bob B
Localboy808
https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Products-0825-...k/dp/B00NOIKSPC

I used this to recoat the Targa top. Its a beautiful finish. I also did my running boards. Will be using it on the valances as well. Seems super tough and although its textures, it's smooth to the touch if that makes sense. You can get a gun to shoot it cheap.
914 RZ-1
Bob: Thanks for the info. I came across this in my research, but thought it was something else. Looked into it again more carefully and watched the company video where they describe how it works it. It does go on textured and can be sprayed out of a gun, depending on which kind (aerosol or in a can for a spray gun). EDIT: I can only get the spray cans in California. Wurth has it on their site, but they do not ship to CA. so rattle can it is for me!

This stuff, correct?
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-sto...uard-spray.html
How much does one can cover?

Pelican doesn't seem to have this particular one. Anybody ever bought from this company (goodspeedmotoring.com)?

Should I just buy the rattle can Wurth in black and be done, or also spray over it with something else?
914_teener
I used this with great results if you need and alternative.

I was quite close to what I would consider a stock schutz finish and bullet proof.

I put a low voc clear coat over it with great results. I did a thread on it a while back.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-...1481&rt=rud
914_teener
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Sep 4 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Bob: Thanks for the info. I came across this in my research, but thought it was something else. Looked into it again more carefully and watched the company video where they describe how it works it. It does go on textured and can be sprayed out of a gun, depending on which kind (aerosol or in a can for a spray gun). EDIT: I can only get the spray cans in California. Wurth has it on their site, but they do not ship to CA. so rattle can it is for me!

This stuff, correct?
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-sto...uard-spray.html
How much does one can cover?

Pelican doesn't seem to have this particular one. Anybody ever bought from this company (goodspeedmotoring.com)?

Should I just buy the rattle can Wurth in black and be done, or also spray over it with something else?

I guess my answer to the last question is yes, in my opinion.
burton73
OK I looked and found that I had some cans of Sateen paint that I did my targa top in and a part of a can of the Stone Shield.

AS I said before the material that is on my Carrera and on all 911scin the Valance looks great. It is then painted with the car color and I am not 100% sure this is it. I got a bunch of cans of Wurth Stone Guard for my 914-6 it was tan just like the factory put on but that was plenty on the bottom.

I think I had George @AA send it to me. I am in CA. Now I have been working with it for 10 years so it was a while ago. All I can tell you if you look at a Carrera or 911SC front valance it look beautiful.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 4 2017, 08:04 PM) *

I used this with great results if you need and alternative.

I was quite close to what I would consider a stock schutz finish and bullet proof.

I put a low voc clear coat over it with great results. I did a thread on it a while back.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-...1481&rt=rud

Thanks for the info. How much does a can cover? I need to paint the front and rear valences, rockers and top.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 5 2017, 10:57 AM) *

OK I looked and found that I had some cans of Sateen paint that I did my targa top in and a part of a can of the Stone Shield.

AS I said before the material that is on my Carrera and on all 911scin the Valance looks great. It is then painted with the car color and I am not 100% sure this is it. I got a bunch of cans of Wurth Stone Guard for my 914-6 it was tan just like the factory put on but that was plenty on the bottom.

I think I had George @AA send it to me. I am in CA. Now I have been working with it for 10 years so it was a while ago. All I can tell you if you look at a Carrera or 911SC front valance it look beautiful.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

Thanks Bob! beerchug.gif They don't make the tan anymore, by the way. I may look at a local auto parts store and see what they have, then probably end up buying the Wurth stuff. How much does a can cover?
burton73
On the Sateen black for the top. I used just over one can. I cleaned up the top sanded it a little and as I said one was just short of doing a couple of coats. Not sure how much to do the rockers and valances.

The paint was very good. I picked up my 76 car from Leamons today and I see that I need to recoat the top one more time.

Bob B
w00t.gif
doug_b_928
According to a poster on Pelican, if I understand correctly, U-Pol Gravitex is the same thing as he Wurth product (he says they supply it to Wurth).
914 RZ-1
I bought 4 cans of the Wurth at goodspeedmotoring.com. Couldn't find anything local that was what I wanted. I figure I either bought too much or not enough!

I sanded through the gel coat so I had to get some sprayable polyester filler at eastwood.com. Couldn't find any of that locally, either.

I tried using the sandable resin I fix my surfboard with, but I just sanded it all off. On a surfboard, you just use a router to hog out an area lower than the surrounding surface and then fill it with resin. I didn't do that because the top is too thin. Next time I'll be more careful with the sander! headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.