Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Engine Case Shot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Costa05
Wanting opinion from the engine builders here. Is this case shot now with this metal gouges on the barrel mount? Piston was completely rusted solid in the barrel so had to cut the rod to get it off. Woops!!@$@*
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment unsure.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Costa05 @ Sep 5 2017, 07:40 AM) *

Wanting opinion from the engine builders here. Is this case shot now with this metal gouges on the barrel mount? Piston was completely rusted solid in the barrel so had to cut the rod to get it off. Woops!!@$@*
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment unsure.gif

No,that area could be cleaned up with a small half round file.
DM_2000
For the ID of the hole, I'd work the metal slightly with a small hammer then run a bearing knife , single edge or similar around the ID to clean up any loose metal. I would not try to remove metal in an attempt make it smooth again, all you need is for the barrel not to catch.

For the sealing surface face I'd tap down any high spots, scrape off any loose metal and leave it at that.

The goal is to reform metal not remove it.
porschetub
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 5 2017, 08:27 AM) *

For the ID of the hole, I'd work the metal slightly with a small hammer then run a bearing knife , single edge or similar around the ID to clean up any loose metal. I would not try to remove metal in an attempt make it smooth again, all you need is for the barrel not to catch.

For the sealing surface face I'd tap down any high spots, scrape off any loose metal and leave it at that.

You would only be carefully removing the high spots,I didn't say to hog the area out with a file ??? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif .
McMark recently did the same sort of thing on a damaged piston...he knows what he is doing.
injunmort
if doing a subie swap, why worry about it at all?
Costa05
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 4 2017, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 5 2017, 08:27 AM) *

You would only be carefully removing the high spots,I didn't say to hog the area out with a file ??? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif .
McMark recently did the same sort of thing on a damaged piston...he knows what he is doing.

Thanks guys for the professional advice here.. Awesome website. I was about to toss the case to the recycler and salvage all the rest of value and thought the biggest value is that damned engine stamp on the case in the event I restore this thing to numbers matching later. You helped make that decision easier for me. Heck it might be my first Type 4 rebuild on the horizon.
crash914
A little JB weld to fill in the low spot won't hurt either. fill and smooth...no more worries.
iankarr
agree.gif
The face is the main sealing surface. Tap the high spots down to smooth and use a sealant like yamabond when putting the jugs back in.
Costa05
QUOTE(crash914 @ Sep 4 2017, 08:19 PM) *

A little JB weld to fill in the low spot won't hurt either. fill and smooth...no more worries.

I am becoming a bigger fan of the JB Weld products and that is a great suggestion. Thank you.
Valy
I wouldn't use JB weld there. With time vibrations and heat cycles, the JB weld pieces will brake loose and work the soft metal.
Just make it flat and use a sealant. There's nothing to worry about.
Mark Henry
JB weld it, remove all the case interior studs and take it to a good machinist, have them deck the bores just enough for cleanup.
I'm finding just about every case needs this service anyways, 40 year old cases sink in the middle between the bores.
Even if the JB weld was to fail it's trapped and won't go anywhere.
Olympic 914
You might want to look closer at this area

Click to view attachment
crash914
Looks like casting flash to me. Best to inspect to be sure.
Bartlett 914
This is an historic thread! I think it is the first time I have read about JB weld as not being a joke!
crash914
got to be careful, we can't recommend it too often.

Although I have used it in my case to build up some low spots on the jug registers and other places. I have also used it to repair a front spindle on a truck for a the wheel bearing. Still running strong.
DM_2000
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 4 2017, 05:01 PM) *

I said to tap down high spots to reform then remove loose metal by scraping. ( IE flakes )

You only said to remove metal. " No,that area could be cleaned up with a small half round file. "

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.