Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adjust shift linkage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
capitolatim
I can not get my shifter properly adjusted, it's a side shift. sloppy intp 1st gear and absolutely can not get into fourth.

I've read several posts but can't make it work.

It was working fine before I did an engine rebuild.

Any videos, etc?

Cheers

Tim in Capitola, CA
second wind
QUOTE(capitolatim @ Sep 4 2017, 06:39 PM) *

I can not get my shifter properly adjusted, it's a side shift. sloppy intp 1st gear and absolutely can not get into fourth.

Any videos, etc?

Cheers

Tim in Capitola, CA

Hey Tim.....my car came from Capitola.....right next to the salt water Pacific Ocean....anyway for me it is always the allen bolt in the back holding the shaft on....just tightened mine Friday before work. Car goes from worthless to concourse in about 10 minutes. Flathead to remove plastic cover and proper allen wrench to tighten.....don't muscle f'___ it though! I bet you will be surprised...
gg
Elliot Cannon
This might help. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm
capitolatim
QUOTE(second wind @ Sep 4 2017, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(capitolatim @ Sep 4 2017, 06:39 PM) *

Any videos, etc?

Cheers

Tim in Capitola, CA

Hey Tim.....my car came from Capitola.....right next to the salt water Pacific Ocean....anyway for me it is always the allen bolt in the back holding the shaft on....just tightened mine Friday before work. Car goes from worthless to concourse in about 10 minutes. Flathead to remove plastic cover and proper allen wrench to tighten.....don't muscle f'___ it though! I bet you will be surprised...
gg

Thanks, I loosen that allen bolt a couple of weeks ago to do an adjustment, it worked for a while. I will recheck and perhaps some locktite. Our sea air is not kind to metal.
Amphicar770
Took me a while but not hard once you get the hang of it. Once you get close, make some alignment marks on shaft and coupling. Small Adjustment in either direction can make a big difference so it is helpful to have reference mark.

You.mentioned engine rebuild. Make sure clutch is properly adjusted.
Keith914
If side shift, remove black plastic oval cover at tranny. Find neutral position at tranny, then place into third gear with linkage at the tranny - i. e. short gear arm at tranny is half way out of the tranny and pushed forward into 3rd gear. Have someone hold the linkage at the tranny in third with the linkage shaft held with anti clockwise torque against the gate looking forward. Now loosen the bolt at the shift lever in the tunnel and hold the lever firmly toward the driver side against the gate but not compressing the springs into the first and reverse gate. with the lever in your preferred forward/back position tighten the bolt firmly. Done!
capitolatim
Thanks, will try all the suggestions, don't like the prospect of shifting from third to second at redline.

Cheers
Tim
DM_2000
Something to be aware of when adjusting any linkage that has set screws / rod clamped to a tube. The set screw indent / serrated rod will resist making slight adjustments as the dents tend to make everything line back up the wrong way.

Sometimes working the adjustment portion back and forth smooths over the dents leaving a fresh surface to start with. Having some sort of marking on the adjustment area is critical, the marks don't even need to be aligned as they only serve as a reference point.
ClayPerrine
Try this procedure:

How to adjust your side shifter.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.