Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust leak right drivers side, think heat exchanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
I have a low RPM popping sound, have not got the car on a lift to check it out. It is a 1976 2.0 and has an ancient Bursch exhaust. While driving at speed sound goes away. I think it is the right side heat exchanger but not sure.

Now, if I wanted to just get all new heat exchangers and exhaust....will the engine have to be dropped for the work?

Also, what would be the best all in one package for new heat exchangers and exhaust. I do not care about OEM or HP as not much to gain but need something that lasts. I saw one of the members was making some custom exhausts. Looks like under a last gen 914 the bumper valence needs to come off to fit.

Right now just hope the right side heat extractor is not bad, or a head bolt to the exhaust. If I can get any suggestions for an easy fix, would be appreciated.

Also, if worse come to worse, any suggestions for an all in one exhaust package would be appreciated.
rhodyguy
Does your car still have the model year correct, 75/76', exhaust system?
Dave_Darling
In general, the stainless exhausts will last the best. They're getting harder to find, though, as they haven't been made in years.

Note that they are of the earlier style exhaust, so you will need a muffler and muffler hanger and some of the heater ducting from an earlier car.

You do not have to drop the engine to replace the exhaust. At least, not until you break an exhaust stud... (A good penetrating oil like Aero Kroyl or PB Blaster is your friend. WD-40 is not a good penetrating oil. Heat and time are also things to make use of on the studs.)

--DD
rhodyguy
You forgot PATIENCE Dave. A number of days worth. There are plenty of potential leak points on the last versions.

OP. If you push a piece 2x4 against the exhaust while the engine is running, it can help with pinpointing the source of the noise. A well sealed system will load up, the idle will drop and the engine should develop a stumble or even die. There's nothing wrong with a GOOD set of earlier 1.7/1.8 he's from my couch. Cheaper too if budget is a concern. The rest of the conversion parts are readily available at reasonable prices. Just be an informed buyer before you leap.
carcus
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 5 2017, 03:25 AM) *

Does your car still have the model year correct, 75/76', exhaust system?

Just found out on the forum last night the engine is from a 1973 2.0. I have a Bursch exhaust on it that is pretty much worn out. Are there any differences from a 1973 2.0 exhaust compared to a 1976 exhaust? Are they interchangeable? Not sure if someone put a 76 exhaust on the 73 block that is in the car.

Planning on taking it to a muffler shop to get it on a lift and check out where the right leak is coming from.

Again, thanks all guys.
rhodyguy
Displacement means nothing. For that matter car model year too. My question is, what model of heat exchangers are currently on the car? What shape are inlet flanges on the muffler. Triangular or trapezoid? 75-76 heat exchangers are common for both 1.8 and 2.0 engines.
rfinegan
I have a set or two or 75-76 HEs your choice, FREE! pick up or you pay shipping from NC. let me know what part you need...I also have some 1.7/1.8 HEs in good useable shape pics in Classifieds here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=315954

Robert
Dave_Darling
Quick tutorial on different versions of stock exhaust, courtesy of Jeff Bowlsby's 914 Tech Notebook web page (http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm)

The two 70-74 heat exchanger styles:
IPB Image

Here is a picture of the 75-76 heat exchanger:
IPB Image

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.