Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt - Passenger Side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Porsche 914, 1972 1.7

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to remove the bolt that holds the seat belt to the rocker panel on the passenger side. It looks like a PO might have changed things up a bit as there is a different looking bolt at this attachment point (vs. the other 3 attachment points). When I try to remove it, it just spins. Almost like there is a nut on the inside of the rocker panel. Question 1 - Is that normal?

Question 2 - There is an "oval-ish" plastic cover next to the seat belt attachment point, in the rocker panel. What does this little plastic cover give you access to if you remove it? The back side of the seat belt attachment area? Or something totally unrelated?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Ross @ Sep 5 2017, 07:44 AM) *

Porsche 914, 1972 1.7

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to remove the bolt that holds the seat belt to the rocker panel on the passenger side. It looks like a PO might have changed things up a bit as there is a different looking bolt at this attachment point (vs. the other 3 attachment points). When I try to remove it, it just spins. Almost like there is a nut on the inside of the rocker panel. Question 1 - Is that normal?

Question 2 - There is an "oval-ish" plastic cover next to the seat belt attachment point, in the rocker panel. What does this little plastic cover give you access to if you remove it? The back side of the seat belt attachment area? Or something totally unrelated?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

There is no 'backside' to the seat belt attachment but maybe a previous owner had to make an 'alternate' attachment.
Take a peek behind the ovalish cover. maybe there is a nut and bolt arrangement.
Not an area where you want to take any liberties.
SirAndy
My guess is the locking nut is rusted and broke off the mounting plate. The stock setup is a backing plate with a welded nut, both welded to the inside of the long.

Or, if the bolt is really that different, maybe the PO stripped the threads on the nut.

Either way, the only way to fix this correctly will be to open up the long and replace the plate and nut on the inside.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
mgphoto
Click to view attachment

Shown here is what the problem can and the solution.
Sorry sent from my phone, photo is upside down.
Ross
Thanks everyone!
SirAndy
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 5 2017, 10:19 AM) *
Shown here is what the problem can and the solution.

I stand corrected, it's not a nut, it's a threaded insert. But the problem is the same, it is only spot welded to the backing plate and can break lose if rusted.

In fact, the whole plate can break lose from the long if rusted enough.
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.