Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Heads Opinions Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
Len Hoffman has my 2.0 heads. He is repairing cracked plug bosses, converting to 12MM plugs, installing 8 new seats.

I am considering dual springs new chromoly retainers. The heads have new (expensive) sodium exhaust valves. Len doesn't recommend sodium valves with dual springs, he says change the to SS valves. So, should I keep the sodium valves & stock springs or go SS with double springs & new retainers? How much performance do double springs make?

The engine is a fairly fresh 2056 with Dellorto 40's and a stockish Webcam. I have the parts to convert back to Djet but will probably drive it with the carbs for a while first. The car is a weekend fun car & not a daily driver.

ArtechnikA
what's your anticipated rev range?

my impression has been that dual springs are good for controlling valves at high revs, and sodium valves are good for transferring heat at high loads (like a top-gear freeway cruiser).

so - are you building a weekend AX screamer, or a weekend long-trip cruiser?

past that - i'm unqualified to express an opinion on T-IV heads, so i'll bow out and let the real experts take over...
lagunero
Jake recommended I go with SS valves so I went with Sodium. J/K I got the SS and HD springs. I really don't remember the reasons he offered but I trust his opinion.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (MarkV @ May 19 2005, 06:24 PM)
How much performance do double springs make?

Double springs don't make any performance. They just put more stress on the entire valvetrain. the only thing they are useful for is controlling heavy valve assy. at high revs.
With your mild cam they would be totally the wrong thing to add. HD singles would make much more sense and probably be ok with sodium filled valves. OTOH, the SS will be lighter due to smaller stem diameter, and allow even more revs if the cam could support it.
Allan
I seem to remember that they dissipate heat well but if they fail it is catastrophic. I have sodium filled but my car wont rev to the sky.
redshift
Yes. Sodium filled valves are a catastrophic failure point...

dry.gif

I thought you only used double spring when the valve mass calculated out to need them at whatever your redline is.. like Chris said, but even on lighter stuff, that revs higher?

If they were chrome though, and outside.. that'd be cool!

M
SLITS
In the old days, metallurgy wasn't what it is today. The heat transfer accorded by sodium filled valves is no longer germain. With today's metallurgy of both the valve and seat material, SS will give you as much or more longetivity and they cost a SHIT pile less.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
redshift
.... and he's a shit wizz-ard, with a gameshow shirt.

M
Bleyseng
Go with the SS valve and HD valve springs as the extra springs won't do you any good and can be harmful to your "stockish" valvetrain.
Sell the sodium valves.....
messix
not sure if they apply here, but new hot thing in v8 valve springs, is the beehive ovoid spring. it has great dampening properties.
Jake Raby
Let Len supply you with his valves- They come from me..

Sodium filled valves are a HUGE mistake, stainless technology of today far supercedes the sodium of yesteryear..

FWIW- 85% of the cams that *should* be used on the streeet do not need dual springs.. While you have it apart get a cam designed to compliment the heads and since Len is doing them for you- I have that cam absolutely.
Joe Bob
God I hope so....ten years ago I bought some sooper dooper heads from that fuckwad Mark Stephens....LEAKED like a MOFO....
MarkV
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ May 19 2005, 04:19 PM)
Go with the SS valve and HD valve springs as the extra springs won't do you any good and can be harmful to your "stockish" valvetrain.
Sell the sodium valves.....

Yea, thats kind of what it looks like I will do. Guess I should have asked around here before I got a price on cutting for dual springs. screwy.gif
SGB
B'lieve I'de go with the SS valves, single spring. No need to overload the heads with 2 springs. You get the avantages of Len's work and advanced metallurgy. If'n you wanna, of course a cam from Jake would be the final solution...
Cap'n Krusty
A 'stockish" WebCam ain't gonna get it with D-jet, so you might as well make the best of the carbs. I don't care what WebCam says, I have to make cars driveable (and, in many cases, legal), and all their theoretical claims don't make a bit of sense in the real world. Even the mildest of their non-stock grinds make unacceptably high HCs, and don't idle right without screwing with the MPS, and THAT opens the door to all kinds of nasty problems. High HCs is high unburned fuel, and that translates to poor power and bad fuel economy. The Cap'n
Jake Raby
Always upgrade to a single spring with nice chromoly retainers. I have seen so many stock retainers fail that I no longer use them at all, same with springs.

The single springs that Len has are the same as the ones I sell/use and so are the retainers..

Stock springs and retainers are only good for stock cams, any performance upgrade should include better springs and retainers.

Capn' I had no luck with their off the shelf grinds either, you should try one of mine one day- The only alterations are on the exhaust side of things and they work very nicely with D or L jet...

Web cam does NOT build engines, probably50% of their grinds and the feedback on the TIV has came from yours truly... Cam grinders seldom know the best cam for your engine-
MarkV
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 19 2005, 05:34 PM)
Web cam does NOT build engines, probably50% of their grinds and the feedback on the TIV has came from yours truly... Cam grinders seldom know the best cam for your engine-

The cam is a 118S ??
MecGen
Hey
I have had SS valves for 12 years now...no problems with my mild 2.0l at all.
Hey Z
God I hope so....ten years ago I bought some sooper dooper heads from that fuckwad Mark Stephens....LEAKED like a MOFO....

I guarenty I got reamed worse then you, any body know what happened to him? I don't really care just curious..

Anyways I plan to use SS valves with new single springs and retainers for a bone stock 2.0l.
Good luck with it aktion035.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif

Mueller
I guarenty I got reamed worse then you, any body know what happened to him? I don't really care just curious..

supposedly got into long haul trucking....landed a gig hauling for Wal-Mart or something like that....
MecGen
At least on the road he can't touch a T1V head again.
Thanx
Joe
914werke
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ May 19 2005, 05:50 PM)

Joe & Z we should create a support group "GOT ASS F*CKED by MSHP & are here to tll about it" dry.gif
Funny Ive still got those super duper heads on the 73 and havent had any problem, they look like shit with all kind of funky weklding on em.
One day I run into that rat bastard and exact my revenge chair.gif
Joe Bob
I'd just knee cap the douchebag with a couple of blue tip .357 rounds. He'll be driving a hand controlled car for the rest of his life.....
redshift
Great Mike! Then you can be Bubba's steering wheel for his butt mobile, next to Michael Jackson, and Scott Peterson...

Scott.. Peterson... that sounds familiar.. is he a member here?

M
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, double murder and serial pedophilia.....hardly compares to plotting revenge on a scumbag machine shop owner....

It's not like you .....while high on fermented goat milk.....have dreamt to do to OTTO..... cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.