Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge relocation/Center console removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Over the weekend I ran new wiring and moved my gauges to the spot where the radio typically lives. I also installed a new potted "buck-boost" converter to get stable voltage to the gauges. The VDO oil pressure gauge is EXTREMELY voltage dependent.

Click to view attachment
scallyk9
Looks great. I also have three gauges where a radio once resided but a previous owner had found a small panel that angle all three towards the driver. If I add a radio, it will be an under dash unit.

Interesting comment about stable voltage. My oil pressure gauge seems to perform well but the voltmeter usually reads 12-12.5v while I'm reading 13.4-13.6v directly at the battery terminals.
yeahmag
From VDO:

Aaron,
The gauges are rated for 16 volts and yes, a fluctuation in voltage will affect the accuracy of the gauge.
They are designed to receive a constant voltage of around 14 volts. A fluctuation of 12 to 14 would throw off the reading by about 5 to 10 psi.

Best regards,
Technical Support Team
Business Unit CVAM
Continental
Division Interior
6755 Snowdrift Road
Allentown, PA 18106
USA
yeahmag
This is the regulator I'm using.

SMAKNĀ® Waterproof DC-DC Boost Buck module 6V / 12V / 24V / 36V 6-36V to 13.8V 5A 69W Power Converter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017CNAL56/ref=cm...p_EDAzWL6vFTM7k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.