Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with Air
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bfed
I just purchased a 75 914/4. The seller told me that the car had an aftermarket air unit installed. I received the car today and found a large patched hole under the front pan. The seller told me that they cut the hole for the condenser unit. I was wondering if that was the case for that type of air unit or was it to cover-up rust in the area. Has anyone seen air units installed?

Thanks Bill
BeatNavy
Yes, the front pan is where the condenser was typically installed. Doesn't mean there wasn't rust there, but if someone removed the A/C system fully they would patch the front trunk pan.
xperu
QUOTE(bfed @ Sep 6 2017, 06:29 PM) *

I just purchased a 75 914/4. The seller told me that the car had an aftermarket air unit installed. I received the car today and found a large patched hole under the front pan. The seller told me that they cut the hole for the condenser unit. I was wondering if that was the case for that type of air unit or was it to cover-up rust in the area. Has anyone seen air units installed?

Thanks Bill

If it is just a patch of sheet metal and you want the original look. You can go to the classified forum and place an add. sometimes someone has the piece already cut out of a car, or google Restoration Design, they make an after market piece. It's actually a pretty common to find this condition. Mike Kelly
Lucky9146
QUOTE(bfed @ Sep 6 2017, 04:29 PM) *

Thanks Bill

Congrats on the purchase and pictures sure help. This is a great site.

welcome.png

cn2800
Here is what the holes may have looked like (there were two different systems - I don't know if they both used the same layout):

Click to view attachment

welcome.png
Blue6
Bill, welcome.png .... ask anything here. You will find a wealth of info.
GeorgeRud
If you need a patch panel, contact Garold Shaffer in Portage, IN (he's on the Forum). He probably has or can get you the needed patch panel from a parts car.
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
bfed
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 6 2017, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(bfed @ Sep 6 2017, 04:29 PM) *

Thanks Bill

Congrats on the purchase and pictures sure help. This is a great site.

welcome.png

bfed
Thanks for all the help. Sorry to say I'm so new I cannot figure out how to post pictures. If someone explains I can show you what I'm dealing with on the pan.

Bill
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bfed @ Sep 7 2017, 11:54 AM) *

Thanks for all the help. Sorry to say I'm so new I cannot figure out how to post pictures. If someone explains I can show you what I'm dealing with on the pan.

Bill

Here you go: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637
Kansas 914
Here is the best fix, IMHO, from Restoration Design: http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP337B
bfed
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 7 2017, 12:19 PM) *

Here is the best fix, IMHO, from Restoration Design: http://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP337B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This is the car with two pictures of the patch. I like the panel from restoration design. I also need Wheels for the car and any suggestions would be helpful.
IronHillRestorations
2.0 Fuchs wheels are THE 914 four lug wheel IMHO, and please don't paint the recessed areas black.

I have a section of that front floor if you want a cut out piece. To be honest the best route is always brand new metal, but I'll sell you mine for $100 plus actual shipping.
rhodyguy
You are going to find lots of holes for the various hoses. Front to back. Examine the pass side engine shelve and the pass side upper engine tin. More than likely they have been cut too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.