Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Relief Valve Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
My 76 2.0 has about 120,000 miles on it. It runs flawlessly. It smoked a little on deceleration until I started using Brad Penn 20/50. The BP stopped the smoking. It passes CA smog every 2 years just fine. The oil pressure light never goes on. Because of the age and mileage, would it be a good idea to replace the oil pressure relief valve with a Tangerine OPRV as preventive medicine anyway or leave it alone?
jim_hoyland
I replaced mine; it may have been OK, but it had 40+ years of wear. Installed the Tangerine PRV and figure it's one less thing to wear out. smile.gif
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 6 2017, 06:36 PM) *

I replaced mine; it may have been OK, but it had 40+ years of wear. Installed the Tangerine PRV and figure it's one less thing to wear out. smile.gif

Jim, after you got the spring out, was there any problem getting the valve itself out? Do I need any kind of sealing washer?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Sep 6 2017, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 6 2017, 06:36 PM) *

Jim, after you got the spring out, was there any problem getting the valve itself out? Do I need any kind of sealing washer?

I had my Indy mechanic do the change over since he has a lift.
oakdalecurtis
I called Chris at Tangerine Racing this morning. He was very helpful and said that there was no downside to putting in his custom OPRV. He suggested that there was only potential upside due to improved oil flow to internal engine parts and also possible lower oil temps due to better oil cooler flow rates. Ordered one up! Thanks Chris.
Keith914
You wrote, "--- the light never goes on---" . When you switch the ignition on before starting the engine, the light should be on. If not check the bulb.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Keith914 @ Sep 7 2017, 03:29 PM) *

You wrote, "--- the light never goes on---" . When you switch the ignition on before starting the engine, the light should be on. If not check the bulb.

Sorry Kieth for the confusion, yes, light works, just never goes on while driving to indicate low oil pressure is an issue. Ty for clarifying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.