Full Version: the Great 2017 Knob group buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VaccaRabite
These knobs.
IPB Image

Looks like the last time I opened the group buy was spring of 2014

Details:
Cost will be $75, which includes shipping in the CONUS. If you live outside the CONUS we will work something out.

I'll probably end up making 20-30 knobs and that may be it for a few years.

Knobs are about 50mm in diameter. They all all 100% hand made, by me, here in York PA.

Here is how it works.
  • If you want one, post up. I'll add your name to this post. If your name isn't in this post, you won't be on my queue. Feel free to bug me if you don't see it.
  • What shifter is it going on?
  • How many do you want?
  • Send me a PM with your email address, home address, etc. I'll respond with my paypal address.
  • I ONLY ACCEPT PAYPAL! Seriously, no checks.
Finish will be tung oil and wax, as in years past. I no longer offer the acrylic finish as it had cracking issues for some members in very cold climates. The oil and wax takes longer, but its a bullet proof finish.

The knobs are very light weight, and attach to your car with the standard crush ring. If you have a threaded shifter lever, I can do a spin on if you tell me.

I make each knob to order, and your name on the list is the order I make them. I try to turn them around as quick as I can, but each one takes a solid weekend to do, from the first turns on the lathe to the last buff on the buffing wheel.
UPDATE 9/8/17 - Enough interest shown to order materials, so today I ordered materials. Should be able to start making the blanks in about 10 days.
UPDATE 9/10/17 - the first run will be 18 knobs. If more people want in I'll add you to the wait list. If enough people warrent a second run this fall, I'll make it. Likewise, if people move out of the first run for some reason, the wait list will move in and take their slot.

The Queue:
1 mepstein - rennshifter - PAID
2 mepstein - ? - PAID
3 bigkensteele - stock - PM received - PAID
4 markhoward - rennshifter PM received - PAID
5 markhoward - rennshifter PM received - PAID
6 Rleog - stock - PM received - PAID
7 nditiz1 -stock - PAID
8 Freezin 914 - stock - PM received - PAID
9 ConeDodger - renshifter - PAID
10 echocanyons - rennshifter - PAID
11 wes - rennshifter - PM received - PAID
12 somd914 - stock - PM received - PAID
13 somd914 - stock - PM received - PAID
14 Java2570 - stock - PM received - PAID
15 Steve - Renn - PM received - PAID
16 11tentths - renn - PM received -PAID
17 dlee6204 - stock - PM received - PAID
18 Eddie 914 - ? -PM received

Second Run!
19 Jett - stock - PM received - PAID
20 wysri9 - stock -- PAID
21 SKL1 -renn - PM received -PAID
22 SKL1 -renn - PM received -PAID
23 mepstein - rennshifter - PAID
24 KeithVonLaws - Ren
25 KeithVonLaws -stock
26 bahnzai - stock - PAID
27 bahnzai -renn - PAID
28 Cracker -Stock -PM received - PAID
29 zaballosc - renn
30 abes914 - stock - PAID
dlee6204
I'm interested in one for a stock shifter.
mepstein
Great! I want two. One for a rennshifter. One undecided.
bigkensteele
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I want one! I want one!

Stock shifter.

Glad to see you back at this!
markhoward
I'm in for two for the Rennshifter (screw in). One for the teener, the other for the SC. Mark
Rleog
I'm in for one on a standard shifter.
Thanks
nditiz1
In for one stock shifter
Freezin 914
I am in for one, (standard) pm sent. driving.gif
ConeDodger
In. Rennshifter 2 (second version)
echocanyons
I would like a rennshifter version as well please.
wes
One Rennshifter please and thank you!
somd914
Awesome, been hoping you would make more! beerchug.gif

I'll take two, stock shifters.
VaccaRabite
Excellent!
I have enough interest to go ahead and order materials.
Rockler, here I come.

Zach
Java2570
Hey Zach - I'm in for one for a stock shifter, please! Sending PM now....
11tenths
These feel beautiful in hand, and don't get hot- I already have one but it's mainly lighter in color.

I'd like one that looks like your picture for a Rennshifter please.

driving.gif -Harry
BuddyV
These are so friggin cool.... I almost ordered one, and then I remembered that I already have TWO!

ha ha!

Thank you for the service. Best deal in town.

Cheers!

beerchug.gif
Andyrew
If my other source falls through I am in. Put me down as a tentative smile.gif
jmalone
Love mine Zach. Thanks for making these beerchug.gif
Steve
Add me to the list!! One for a rennshift (screw in).
VaccaRabite
up to 18 requests. This is going to be the first run.
Still looking for PMs from a few of you.

If more people want in I'll add you to the wait list. If enough people warrent a second run this fall, I'll make it.
Likewise, if people move out of the first run for some reason, the wait list will move in and take their slot.

Zach
Jett
I'd love one for our stock 73.

PM sent
wysri9
Please add me to the wait list! I am super keen to have one of these on my GT lookalike, which may hopefully come out to play next spring....I will have a standard shifter. I can PM you, but suspect I should wait until run 2 is confirmed...
Thx

SR
VaccaRabite
For everyone who PMed me, I'll be sending out the payment information tomorrow.

If I can get three more people on the wait list, I'll buy materials for a second run this week.

Have to say, its been a while since I have made these, and I'm looking forward to it.

Zach
mb911
I am on the fence on this.. Send me a pm if you need the last one for a second run..
SKL1
I'm definitely in for 1, possibly 2, both for a rennshift. Add me to the list!!
VaccaRabite
I plan to be sending PMs out tonight to all members of the first group.

Second group will get made with 1 more commitment.

Zach
Mercurial
Count me in for a tear drop shape for a Rennshifter.
VaccaRabite
I've gotten payments from about 1/2 of the first run. THANK YOU!
I will be starting turning this weekend, with intentions to ship the first knobs next week.

I still need one more knob to commit the second run.
Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 18 2017, 08:56 PM) *

I've gotten payments from about 1/2 of the first run. THANK YOU!
I will be starting turning this weekend, with intentions to ship the first knobs next week.

I still need one more knob to commit the second run.
Zach

I’ll take another one so you can finish out the run. Thanks, mark
dflesburg
Click to view attachment

saw one of these on some guys car... kinda sweet.
VaccaRabite
We have enough knobs to make the second run!

Zach
Cracker
I'll take one for a stock 914 shifter...

Tony
SKL1
glad you're doing the second run!! smile.gif
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

The block glued up really well. It gets cut into blanks tomorrow.

The delrin rod arrived earlier this week that I use for the crush rings.

I should be turning tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Zach
KeithVonLaws
I would like 2... one for a stock shifter and one rennshifter
Rleog
You probably already intend to (as above) but posting pics of the process is fascinating.

Craftsman at work. pray.gif
wysri9
Pictures are brilliant, but I guess being an engineer I would like to know full specs as well so that when the guy who has just had full details of my engine build also asks about that wonderful gear knob....

How about wood species, laminate thickness, glue type, blank size, turning time, polish time, polish, lacquer and anything else that you can think of that does not reveal anything proprietary! beerchug.gif
bahnzai
Zach, if it is not too late, I will get in on the second run.
I will take 2: 1 for stock shifter and 1 for a rennshifter.
PM me with payment info.
Thanks!
VaccaRabite
Lots of spaces for the second run. I need to update the first thread to account fro from new pays, and adding new folks to the second run.

Zach
Jett
Thanks for all the work n these beautiful works of art !!

Please send PP info when you get a chance.

Cheers

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 24 2017, 08:05 AM) *

Lots of spaces for the second run. I need to update the first thread to account fro from new pays, and adding new folks to the second run.

Zach

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Sep 24 2017, 03:27 AM) *

Pictures are brilliant, but I guess being an engineer I would like to know full specs as well so that when the guy who has just had full details of my engine build also asks about that wonderful gear knob....

How about wood species, laminate thickness, glue type, blank size, turning time, polish time, polish, lacquer and anything else that you can think of that does not reveal anything proprietary! beerchug.gif

Sure.
I've always held that this is something I do for the community here, and if people want to make their own, I'm all for it.

For this run the species is maple and american walnut.
In the past I have used maple and mahogany. Both work, but the walnut was a little darker this time so that's what I bought. Wood being wood, there can be a LOT of variation.

I use 5 layers of 1/4 inch walnut, and 4 layers of 1/8 inch maple.
They are glued up with Titebond 3, which is a very strong indoor/outdoor wood glue with pretty good resistance to water.

I make a bushing out of 1 inch round delrin rod. This supports the pressure of the crush ring. If you just used wood, the crush ring would split the knob. The bushing is epoxied into the base of the blank, and also serves as the attachment to my lathe.

After turning and sanding, each knob gets "a bunch" of coats of tung oil. About 8-10. When those have dried, they get polished on the buffer, and a stiff coat of wax is applied. And that's it.

It takes me about 3 hours to prep and make the block and cut the blanks out (not counting the dry time for the glue). A couple hours to batch the delrin into the bushings I need. Maybe an hour per knob to turn and sand. And about a day spent oiling and buffing.

Its important to point out here that this is WAY DIFFERENT from the race knobs made by Porsche in the 60s and 70s. Those were literally made of birch plywood. They were generally not finished beyond sanding, and were glued on to the shifter levers. The metal shifter rods apparently conducted a good bit of heat from the engine and the wood knobs insulated the drivers hands. They were also very VERY lightweight (as are mine). There is a myth that the factory race knobs were made of balsa. My research has not born this out. Everything that I have found points to the birch plywood, which makes a lot more sense the laminated balsa.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 24 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Thanks for all the work n these beautiful works of art !!

Please send PP info when you get a chance.

Cheers

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 24 2017, 08:05 AM) *

Zach

When I get closer to being able to make the second run, I'll contact the second run folks for payment. I'm never comfortable taking money before I'm able to start the work.

Zach
VaccaRabite
And now the pic I actually got online to post...
IPB Image
Block has been cut up and the blanks have been roughed out on the bandsaw. Centers are marked and ready to go through the drill press once I have the delrin inserts made.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I updated the first post. Looks like I am missing payments from 2 of the first run people.

Second Run folks - hang tight. We are 1/2 way through building the second run. I'll be contacting you to forward payment, shipping info as I work through the first run and get closer to starting your run.

Thanks all!
Zach
nditiz1
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 25 2017, 04:17 PM) *

I updated the first post. Looks like I am missing payments from 2 of the first run people.

Second Run folks - hang tight. We are 1/2 way through building the second run. I'll be contacting you to forward payment, shipping info as I work through the first run and get closer to starting your run.

Thanks all!
Zach

I think just one Zach, I sent you the payment already.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 25 2017, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 25 2017, 04:17 PM) *

Thanks all!
Zach

I think just one Zach, I sent you the payment already.

Yup. Just checked and there is was. Updated the first post. Thanks for fact checking me.

Zach
VaccaRabite
Waiting on one more component I need before I can start work, the threaded aluminum rod for the Rennshifter knobs. I can start work on the Stockers now, (well, after the kids go to sleep tonight), and hopefully the rod will arrive this week.

Zach
SKL1
Looking forward to the second run- and the rennshifter mounting!

(drove the '73 today and the black plastic knob just doesn't do it!! I'll channel my inner 917 with the wood knob!)
markhoward
superfly!
VaccaRabite
The aluminum threaded rod for the Rennshift knobs showed up at my door yesterday.

All the materials are now in hand.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.