Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found 1974 2.0, inut please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmcconnell
Hi All
I am thinking of taking the plunge into 914 ownership and I am looking for some guidance.

I have found the following, i hope the link works

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1974-Porsche-91...353.m1438.l2649

The sale did not reach its reserve and the guy sounds like he buys and sells. He made all the right noises when I asked about rust and matching numbers but I will want some proof on those. We discussed a price and I said I would arrange an inspection before I proceed.

From the photos is there anything you can spot that I should be asking about. or does anyone now this car, its in the Portland area.

I own a 1966 912 and have had a few 911's in the past but I dont know a great deal about the 914, but its a mid engine german sports car, how can you go wrong.

Cheers
Rob
porschetub
Appears it has not sold and will be relisted,really overpriced for a non-running car,could cost a lot to get up and running.
Post a WTB on here and you will find a better car.
JOEPROPER
Check the Classified section on this forum, there is a good deal in Montana for sale.
era vulgaris
The wheels are repros, not original Fuchs. Don't know where that steering wheel is from, but I'm not really digging it. The rear trunk hinge on the driver's side broke off and was re-welded at some point. No pics of the battery tray area, longitudinals, or floor pans...so without proof, it's anyone's guess. The color looks like marathon blue metallic, not the most common, but "very unique" is overselling it.
Difficult to tell anything else from those little pics. Why can't people just pay the extra $1 for the super-size picture option??!! I always think the seller is trying to hide something when they don't pay the measley little fee for that!

With it having sat as long as it did, assume that you'll have to overhaul the entire fuel system and the entire braking system.

I agree with what was said, it's WAY overpriced for a non-runner. Should be sub-$10k for an otherwise solid non-runner.
GeorgeRud
I see you're in Australia. Doesn't Australia require the cars be right hand drive? If not, that's an issue that isn't a problem.

I'd agree on having to have it very carefully checked for rust . Mechanical issues can always be dealt with, but the tin worm never sleeps! I'd definitely get a prepurchase independent inspection if you're buying overseas. There is a tale on the Pelican Parts website of a fellow that had a 911 shipped from England to Australia just to find that it was nowhere near what was represented and had major rust issues.
malcolm2
I checked the VIN on here and in the comments it said:

"Purchased in April 2012. California car. 131K miles. Restoration approximately 10 years ago. Originally a 1.8 engine. Upgraded to a 2.0 (1975 GC code engine). Great looking car with FI, driving lights, center console, Fuchs alloys and more. Car now resides in Washington state."

so the engine is not the original, if that matters to you. And it does have 132K miles on it. Not many miles since 2012. Wonder why.... shades.gif
rhodyguy
Was that car at medford 2 years ago?
Cairo94507
Good work guys. I understand a lot of uninformed people flip these cars to try to make money. I don't hold that against them. I am glad to see this car's status clarified re the engine, mileage, etc. I would be upset if someone bought it believing it to be an original 2.0 only to find out it was not- if that is important to them.

That's an $8K at the top to me assuming all his representations re rust are accurate. Anytime a description is everything is perfect and the paint only has micro-scratches, I get suspicious. That car requires an actual physical inspection by someone in the know.
IronHillRestorations
There's a nice '71 in the classifieds right now with a Raby engine, and it looks like a good car to me.

If I was in the market for a 914, this would probably be in my garage by now smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=315884
Spoke
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 8 2017, 04:11 PM) *

There's a nice '71 in the classifieds right now with a Raby engine, and it looks like a good car to me.

If I was in the market for a 914, this would probably be in my garage by now smile.gif

agree.gif

This car looks in great shape plus a Raby 2270 engine. Looks to be a great deal.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 8 2017, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Sep 8 2017, 04:11 PM) *

agree.gif

This car looks in great shape plus a Raby 2270 engine. Looks to be a great deal.

agree.gif
I've got to say that the Raby engine is soooo good....it'll put a smile on your face that you can't wipe off with a handful of $100 bills, AU or USD. My 2316 does that for me... driving.gif
boxsterfan
Lots of pics....yet not one solid, up-close pic of the hell hole or the longs. I always find that kind of strange.
burton73
I love this color combo. The seller has 17 positive feedbacks in the last 18 mounts. 11 on different models of Porsche, 4 on MB and one Land Rover that thought the guy did not disclose it right.

If I was looking for a 914 I would get some eyeballs on it but that is because I got to have the light blue metallic car.

Reserve not met at $12,100. So who knows what it will go for?
The guy is probably a good car reseller with most cars decent as far as car feedback goes

The red/orange car does look good and the Raby Eng. is gold.

Bob B

rmcconnell
Hi Gents
As a newbie your input is invaluable. I am going to step back from this one and keep looking. When I asked if it had matching numbers, he said it did. Not really honest from the get go, so if will go with my gut and give it a miss.

I checked out the car with the Raby engine, I presumed it had been sold by the look of the messages but I will drop the seller a line. It did look super clean.

You will probably be seeing a few more posts from me and thanks again.

Cheers
Rob
Spoke
QUOTE(rmcconnell @ Sep 9 2017, 06:16 AM) *

Hi Gents
As a newbie your input is invaluable. I am going to step back from this one and keep looking. When I asked if it had matching numbers, he said it did. Not really honest from the get go, so if will go with my gut and give it a miss.

I checked out the car with the Raby engine, I presumed it had been sold by the look of the messages but I will drop the seller a line. It did look super clean.

You will probably be seeing a few more posts from me and thanks again.

Cheers
Rob

Wise move. Evilbay usually has a lot of cars to look at but I don't trust folks there especially for 914's. If I were you, I'd look mainly on this site and perhaps Pelican Parts for your 914. Same goes for parts for your 914.

I bought my 914 from someone on this site and bought my 930 from someone on Pelican.

And, oh by the way,

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.