Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint color for gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bee
I needed to refinish the gas tank on my '74. The inside was properly done and is there a paint code for the black outside or is it just "black?" Thanks for any assistance!

worn
QUOTE(914bee @ Sep 8 2017, 08:05 AM) *

I needed to refinish the gas tank on my '74. The inside was properly done and is there a paint code for the black outside or is it just "black?" Thanks for any assistance!

Most people find a rattle can that they think will match. Of course an automotive catalyzed paint will hold up better. Better than original! I haven't had any trouble with the lesser paints in this application.
Tom_T
It's a satin black or semi-flat/slightly off semi-gloss sheen black. If you want an exact color code for concours exact, then IIRC there is a paint code/type/color in the factory shop manual somewhere - I'm pretty sure that the tank is the same satin black as used on the engine tins, heater flapper boxes, J-tubes, etc. around the 914 in black.

AA & maybe some other sources sell a CD manual in pdf format for $30-something if you don't have the 8 binders, & those have some extra "bonus" mauals included, in addition to a scanned 8 volume set.

beerchug.gif
Tom
//////
Amphicar770
Eastwood satin black chassis paint is pretty much spot on.
boxsterfan
It's your car. Paint it any color you like. I've seen blue, red, orange, silver, etc... for gas tanks. Rattle can paint seems to work fine for the tank primarily because it is not really exposed.
Elliot Cannon
I turns out I had a lot rustoleum red on hand at the time so... I kind of like it though. biggrin.gif This thread got me to thinking (I actually do that sometimes) how much of my car is original stock 1973 Porsche 914. Back pad, steering linkage and trailing arms is all I can come up with so far. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.