Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Recently had my 914-6 engine rebuilt,upgraded to a 2.2 with an E cam,the oil pressure light is on while the car idles,soon as you rev it a bit the light goes out till you're back to idle,what could be causing this
Thanks Brian
Ferg
At what Oil Temp is it coming on at Idle.

IIRC it comes on at 7psi, so below what should be normal oil pressure for a fresh motor, unless the motor is running warmer than normal, say above 230.
IronHillRestorations
I'd be concerned. Low oil pressure can be a sign of main bearing problems. That's not set in stone, but I wouldn't be happy to see that on a fresh rebuild.

One common mod is to use a later oil line adapter with a smaller orifice, which helps raise the oil pressure.
sixnotfour
what pump is in it ?? the factory pwners manual states at elevated temps light may flicker..
what rpm is idle ??

replace the dual sender with a single red plastic oil pressure sender,,, by the oil thermostat
Mikey914
Also, if you have a LED it will look much worse than it is. When the light stays on over a low idle I'd be concerned.
Elliot Cannon
What viscosity are you using. Maybe too thin?
porschetub
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 9 2017, 11:14 AM) *

What viscosity are you using. Maybe too thin?

agree.gif low idle speed,wrong oil spec will do it....but it is a rebuilt engine.
I had a once only minor overheat on my engine and mine dropped to 12psi @ 230F.
I have a combination pressure/warning vdo sender set @ 10psi it has never set off the oil light with engine running.
My engine runs well but could hardly be described as newish or rebuilt,OP should be concerned as its rare to have a low pressure switch fail,maybe he has the wrong one I don't know confused24.gif .
Perry made the comment about the upgrade camline oil restrictors but wasn't happy after researching them ,appears they can cause camshaft lobe wear in an early motor,I swapped back to the stock ones for my 2.2.
Elliot Cannon
I run 15W50 in my type IV. I tried 10W40 once and every time the engine was at idle RPM the oil light would come on. Went back to 15W50 and no problem. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.