Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WWYD If It Was Your Frunk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
This carpet was off when I bought my car and has since fallen off again since having it glued back up!!

Should I clean the area of all the glue and leave it un-carpeted or should I clean it off all the glue and try one last time?

I like the looks both ways, but since it's factory I would like for it to stick and stay for good also.... decisions... decisions.
Racer
Reglue
worn
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Sep 8 2017, 04:05 PM) *

This carpet was off when I bought my car and has since fallen off again since having it glued back up!!

Should I clean the area of all the glue and leave it un-carpeted or should I clean it off all the glue and try one last time?

I like the looks both ways, but since it's factory I would like for it to stick and stay for good also.... decisions... decisions.

I used double stick Velcro.
porschetub
What glue did you use ?,I personally don't like spraycan contact glues,a good brush on high temp rated would do it 3M or similar,I use a product called Ados F38 but don't know if you can buy it in the US.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 8 2017, 06:30 PM) *

What glue did you use ?,I personally don't like spraycan contact glues,a good brush on high temp rated would do it 3M or similar,I use a product called Ados F38 but don't know if you can buy it in the US.

It was the 3M spray on glue. They may not have used enough.

TM_Corey
Is the carpet supposed to be tucked under the rubber that runs across the width of the top?
Olympic 914
Yeah its factory, and probably provides some protection to and from luggage / cargo in the Frunk, but I like it without and left it off.

two cents
Andyrew
Follow the glue instructions carefully. Shouldnt fall off if you spray both sides, let tack then set once.
burton73
Pliobond

W. J. Ruscoe
Pliobond Adhesive 1oz -W. J. Ruscoe
4.2 out of 5 stars 34 customer reviews

| 8 answered questions

This is the stuff: it works great.

Bob B
Cairo94507
Clean the area thoroughly and apply the 3M adhesive to both the carpet and the bulkhead and let it tack up as the instructions indicate. Then apply the carpet and it won't fall off again.
IronHillRestorations
Clean surfaces will greatly help adhesion. If I'm going through the trouble, I'd probably get new perlon felt.

1st mistake guys make: not getting off old glue. It will contaminate the glue and reduce adhesion.

2nd mistake: not using enough glue on BOTH surfaces. You don't want to soak it, but you want good even coverage. BTW a high quality auto trim adhesive is what you want, and 3M super is good. I wouldn't use anything but a spray, but brush on will work, to me it's just harder to apply.

3rd mistake: trying to glue the whole thing at once. Mask off the whole area, and only glue 1/2 of the piece at a time.

I position the felt and tape it in place, then fold back half, spray that half of the back of the felt and the surface you are sticking it on. Wait the time required, then from the center fold point smooth the felt to the surface out to the edges, making sure to align any critical edge, and sometimes gentle warming with a heat gun helps mold the felt. Repeat for the second half. You can do it left to right to top/ bottom.

FWIW someone who's done this before has some experience (a "pro") saves time by rough cutting the piece and trimming as its fitted, the cut to fit pieces actually take longer to line up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.