Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speedlance2000
Hi can someone please tell me if a set of heat exchangers off a 1.7 litre motor will fit on a one point eight? Thanks Lance
914werke
yes cool.gif
SirAndy
ayupp, 1.7/1.8 HEs are interchangeable ...

wink.gif Andy
MarkV
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 19 2005, 08:05 PM)
ayupp, 1.7/1.8 HEs are interchangeable ...

wink.gif Andy

unless it's a 75, then it is a whole different set up.
SirAndy
QUOTE (MarkV @ May 19 2005, 09:16 PM)
unless it's a 75, then it is a whole different set up.

true!

i always forget about those later cars ...
unsure.gif Andy
dmenche914
There are three basic types of heat exchangers for four cylinder 914's:

A...The early 1.7 /1.8, which have the muffler end pipes kick up a couple inches. You must use the 1.7/1.8 muffler with these, or the approprate aftermarket muffler.

B....The early 2.0 type, which look simular to the above, except the pipe going to the muffler is straight (does not kick upwards), you must use a 2.0 muffler, or aftermarket one designed for the 2.0

C....The later smog heat exchangers for the later 1.8/2.0 cars These are special, there are no reproductions, so if you got them, hold on to them, as they are required in some cases for cars to pass smog, and in Nazi california, 1976 cars need be smogged forever (no more thirty year old exemption)

All the heat exchangers are interchangable on all engines, but you must use the correct muffler for that heat exchanger.

There are stainless steel reproduction heat exchangers for both the 1.7/1.8 and 2.0 early cars, they are nice, wiegh less, and resist rust.

There are also aftermarket headers, that eliminate the heater
brer
I think i know why you ask. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.