Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 60 PSI on #2 Cyl, WTF do I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LukeD
I have been figting what I thought was a bad connection at the injector, turns out about 5 minutes ago I bought a compression tester and popped it in the #2.

I have 60PSI Yack.gif pissoff.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Please give it to me easy. What am I in for? Where should I start. I just bought the car so I think my wife is going to kill me.

FUBAR headbang.gif chairfall.gif

Luke D
scotty914
okay first do a valve adjust then drive till it is hot and retest. but you should do all the cylinders at the same time and pull the plugs too
aircooledboy
agree.gif
Calm down for a second, and don't tell the wife anything just yet. beerchug.gif

Now, do a correct valve adjustment per the proceedure you can find here with the search feature. Then find out the right proceedure for the tester you have and test again. THEN ask the experts here (i.e. guys way smarter than you and me), and see what you've really got. beerchug.gif
Gary#
60psi??? Are the valves adjusted? No??? ohmy.gif
Adj. the valves. Check compression again.
Check all around. Should be similar#'s.
SirAndy
QUOTE ("7" @ May 19 2005, 08:23 PM)

i never thought it would come to this, but ...

agree.gif with "7"
Gary#
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 19 2005, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE ("7" @ May 19 2005, 08:23 PM)

i never thought it would come to this, but ...

agree.gif with "7"

I'm not worthy; lol2.gif i'm just a "7". smoke.gif
LukeD
I checked all the rest and they are 120+/-

When I pulled the injector it had a little oil on the end and it got all over my rubber glove. The car is a bit chatty but would it really be that off?

Luke D
scotty914
oil on the injectors is kind of common from it being pulled out of the heads or oil breather, but 60 psi read what we said then post back
TravisNeff
rings or valves, If you run your test again, then put a squirt of oil in the hole and retest and you have more compression that way - I think that is an indication of ring problems (if I remember right - someone tell me if I am wrong).
tat2dphreak
do a valve adjust COLD then drive it around a bit and check compression again when warm... just like everyone else said...
Bleyseng
Retest after a valve adjustment and its hot.

Yup Travis, squirt some oil in the cylinder to help seal the rings if they are shot. If it doesn't help its the valves. (Usually is)
Joe Bob
Yeah...check it hot. Then dump a spoonfull of 30 weight in the spark hole and do it again...if it stays the same, it's valves....if it goes up...rings.
914efi
Don't forget to open the throttle during the test. It's amazing how low the compression readings can go with a slightly tight valve.
LukeD
!! UPDATE !!

Valve adjust today some were loose but the exhaust on the #2 was very tight. Probably should have had the valve adjust done emmediatly after purchase even though the PO said he did it about 1000 miles ago. The car is so damn quite now smilie_pokal.gif , i almost forgot how quite they can be LOL

Now my oil cooler fan stopped working so I started another thread headbang.gif
Joe Bob
So did the compression come up?
ken914
I have a '53 Porsche 356. I ran into bad compression and fouled plugs and was ready to rip it apart. Finally, after much conversation with the experts, I broke down and asked my dad. Dad has decades of experience with obscure antique airplane engines. His immediate comment was that I had stuck rings due to using modern oil. As it turns out the modern oils have very little detergents in them. With the older air cooled engines they put out a lot of contaminants and the rings can get stuck. His solution was to change the oil. Go to Shell Rotella and add a quart of "Marvel Mystery Oil". He said I would see a change in just a handful of miles. I made the oil change, drove 20 miles and check compression and it was back to normal. No rebuild necessary.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but it is a simple thing to try!

Lots of luck.
LukeD
!! UPDATE !!

Checked compression on the #2 again and it is still 60-63 PSI.

I have some marvel Mystery oil, should I add that to my fresh oil change of Royal Purple?

I am about ready to just drive it till the end of summer and do a top end rebuild or pull my motor and drive it over to Steve at type4parts. ar15.gif headbang.gif
echocanyons
Luke,
Pull it and do it yourself, I'll help.

Hell you can even use my 2.1 in the meantime if you dont mind the carbs.
echocanyons
Everything except the heads.

Have them professionally refinished
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.