Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local craigslist car, looks good
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
I don't need another 914, I have two already, but this looks like a decent car for decent money.

https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/914-por...6296956122.html

r_towle
Interesting, but not worth 10k in my opinion.
Get it running.
Andyrew
Looks like a 10k car to me.. Wheels are a bid odd, needs some better pictures and some real info and I think it could sell for 15k...

Chris914n6
-$1500 for not being 911 susp.
-$750 for not running.
-$750 for not being Suby trans
So $7k for me if the rest checks out.
Mueller
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 9 2017, 11:55 AM) *

Interesting, but not worth 10k in my opinion.
Get it running.

Without it running I'd treat the motor as a core, if steel flares and no rust maybe $6K?
mb911
Those are z28 wheels from the late 90s from what I can tell.
rhodyguy
The -750 for nonop status is very generous. To me, that figure should be the total cost of a replacement engine including all of the pre-install 'renews' one is advised to perform. Hope for the best case and plan for the worst.
Freezin 914
Not the first time I have seen a chevy 5 lug conversion......
Big Len
Hard to tell much from the pics, but definitely worth an inspection.
Keyser Sose
Wow, some serious low-ballers here. Obviously you'd need a lot more info, but if it's just wiring then the cost to get it running would be close to zero. So how much is a running Subaru conversion with flares, new paint and interior worth? That's the up-side. Downside? You'd need to buy a used known-good Subaru motor for $1500. Again a lot of info still needed, but to me a Subaru conversion for ten grand sounds like a screamin' deal.
mepstein
QUOTE(Keyser Sose @ Sep 10 2017, 12:51 PM) *

Wow, some serious low-ballers here. Obviously you'd need a lot more info, but if it's just wiring then the cost to get it running would be close to zero. So how much is a running Subaru conversion with flares, new paint and interior worth? That's the up-side. Downside? You'd need to buy a used known-good Subaru motor for $1500. Again a lot of info still needed, but to me a Subaru conversion for ten grand sounds like a screamin' deal.

Buy it, fix wires, sell for $20k. Right?
rhodyguy
Not here.
DBCooper
I don't know about that. A couple of months ago I sold a similar car with a known blown engine for $12,000. Too many projects going on for me at the time, but afterwards I kicked myself for not getting someone else to r&r the engine and asking quite a lot more.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Keyser Sose @ Sep 10 2017, 09:51 AM) *

doesn't it seem odd to you that all it needs is wiring, and after all that work, and expense, you would quit on the3 project , - "with just the wiring" to go?

I would assume it's not "just the wiring" or it would have been finished long ago.

Seems to me he dumped the engine in there, and has no idea what to do to make it run.
Keyser Sose
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Sep 10 2017, 07:36 PM) *

doesn't it seem odd to you that all it needs is wiring, and after all that work, and expense, you would quit on the3 project , - "with just the wiring" to go?

I would assume it's not "just the wiring" or it would have been finished long ago.

Seems to me he dumped the engine in there, and has no idea what to do to make it run.

No, it doesn't seem odd, a lot of people overestimate what they can handle. You may be right. On the other hand abandoned projects like that have been some of the best buys that I've ever made. IF you can step in and IF you can make it work you can find good bargains, but you need to make that determination. "Just the wiring" is the representation, but like any other used car you need to determine if that's true or not. Especially if it's a used car coming from Houston in the next few months.

Truth is we don't know anything about the car except what's stated or shown. It's an east coast car, which to me means uncontrollable rust, but there's no mention of rust. So until someone asks or, better, sees the car, you have to assume there's no rust. If there is the price comes down or you walk away. Same thing with every other part of the car, but for what's represented, a good car with steel flares, a Subaru conversion and new interior, "just needing a little wiring," that's a good price. If there's anything more, or less, then it may not be. But we don't know any of that yet.

Chris914n6
On a conversion car the wiring can be the most tedious. I've got 6 fused hot wires for the FI from 4 plugs. Without the factory service manual it would likely be impossible to figure it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.