Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling on the oil gurus ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
sooooo, i'm getting my car ready for sundays AX and i'm thinking about changing the oil.
i used to use 10-30 in the past, but that was the oil of choice in germany.
CA turns out to be just a tad warmer on avarage as good 'ole germany ...

so what's a good weight to run in a semi competition enviroment?
what brand will hold up to the unimaginable forces i'm going to put through this little 2056?

smile.gif Andy
MarkV
20-50 Valvoline synthetic or 20-50 Mobile-1 beer3.gif
ChrisReale
Id say 20-50, Kendall for regular oil, 15-50 Mobil 1 or 20-50 Valvoline for synthetic schtuff smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
20/50 Castrol dinosaur oil....
MarkV
Head to Head oil comparison:

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_aga...inst_oils.shtml
bernbomb914
Jake said Royal Purple Syn 20-50 was the best on his dyno so that is what I run

Bernie
tommy914
EVOO works good for me!
nebreitling
i like 20/50 castrol..,.. now that the rings seem to have seated in mine, i might switch to synthetic... need to fix a leak,though...
Rand
Haynes says:
SAE 10 below 5 degrees
SAE 20 between 5 and 32 degrees
SAE 30 above freezing

Joe Blow says use synthetic.
John Doe says don't use synthetic.
Jim Bob says use 30 weight.
Jim Bob's brother says use heavier...

I've been running 10-40 dinosaur squeezings. The best I can tell it fits the bill in most common scenarios.

I never know how to get an answer out of these kinds of threads. How can anyone determine the difference between someone's opinion and what really makes a tangible difference?

Andy, you called for the oil gurus.... Who are the gurus??

If the Cap'n posts a gospel answer is everyone else a dumb ass? ( biggrin.gif Hey Krusty... I'm just joking and respect you. )

Calling Mr. Raby... Hey Jake, what say you? Royal Purple Syn 20-50? (Thanks Bernie!)

IronHillRestorations
I'd toss my .02 for the 20/50 too. Synthetic if it's good and tight, and regular 'ol dino juice if it's seeping any (why piss out $5 a qt oil?).
mightyohm
If you change to 20-50, check your oil temps. I swear that changing from 20-50 to 10-40 makes my car run considerably cooler. That and cooling flaps underneath made a HUGE difference. (30 degrees)
Bleyseng
I am switching from running Kendall 20-50 as now that the motor is apart with 10k on it, I have seen some varnish build up inside. Switching to Mobil1 after the rings seat.
My oil temps AXing have hit the 230-240 range with Blair and I sharing the car running in the same race group. 8 hard runs in a short time gets the oil hot.

Check out this site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
URY914
I decided not to use oil.

Too heavy. wink.gif

Paul
tat2dphreak
I'm no guru, but I like Valvoline synthetic... but if the motor's leaking, it's not worth the $5/qt
cdmcse
This is my own personal experience, but I used to have an MGB that had a performance engine. It was very high compression (11:1 IIRC) and all the parts were for performance. This engine turned out to be very demanding on oil. I tried several brands of regular oil: Quaker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Shell, Castrol, and probably others.

I drove the car very hard (Hey I was a teenager), but in a normal 3000 mile change interval the car would actually break down most of the oil I tried. This was a basically a brand new engine from top to bottom, but the oil would turn into a thick hard black sludge on the rockers and in the pan (ask me if I had to take it off to clean it dry.gif ). After switching to several different oils I finally found one that kept the engine sparkly clean between oil changes and didn't suffer thermal breakdown... CASTROL (Seems like valvoline lasted the shortest time). After that I drove the car about 40K miles before I sold it with nary a problem. I never tried any synthetics in the engine, though.

Because of this I only use Castrol in every car I own.
smile.gif
brant
ok...
I'll throw in one more vote for the 15-50 mobil 1 syn.
I've always run it on anything aircooled.
(even old motor cylcles)

everybody has an old story so here is mine:
my 1st ever 914 motor was built by a friend named Daryl Bailey. He has passed on now, but used to build 6-8 motors every year that would be in the formula Vee run offs.

anyways I put 60,000 miles on that motor and a lot of those were on the race track. We had a two driver car and way back in the 80's did not even have an oil cooler on it.

Alot of times the car would come in from a DE session with the oil temp already into the red zone and then the 2nd driver would get in and go.

I credit the mobil 1 for that motor lasting the way it did and have pretty much exclusively used it on the track since.

I do think that the air cooled motors demand more from oil (oil cooling). I've had mobil 1 leak from a lot of things that were not rebuilt... but I think your motor has been opened recently.. I wouldn't break it in on mobil 1 but I'd switch to it as soon as you are confident its broken in.

brant
BMartin914
15/50 Mobil 1
Carrera916
I use Amsoil 20/50 on all of my cars...been very happy with it...

even trans gear oil, antifreeze & ATF are amsoilized into my car!

been an Amsoil dealer for about 6-7 years...people raved over them, especially the gearbox oil....

j
Mueller
me??

for my "standard" 914 motor....whatever is on sale for 90 cents or less at Kragens smile.gif

TimT
hehehe Ill throw in a curveball

I use Shell Rotella in all my vehicles.

Bleyseng
I didn't Amsoil was too good for the synchro's in the 901's...
I am a Swepco tranny oil believer and Mobil 1 oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.