Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with shock nut removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I was in the process of reinstalling the shock nut when the tab on the strut mount support washer broke. mad.gif This causes the shock shaft to just rotate. I inserted a 6mm bolt in the threaded hole in the shock to try and use that to help me be able to loosen the nut. It also broke. I can drill the broken bolt out of the shock and use an easy-out to get the bolt out, but I am stumped on a way to get the nut off without cutting the it apart. I am trying to find a nut cracker to do it.

I am thinking the tab got wedged in the threads and now I can't get it loose. I have a new support washer and nut for it once I get it off (or I get the new set of shocks I am wanting).

Any ideas?

Here is what it looks like

user posted image
Gint
Pneumatic impact wrench is the only way to go on something like that. It will usually zip 'em right off. And if I'm not mistaken, the large thick washer has a tab that fits into the groove in the strut shaft. So if the nut won't come off of the shaft without the shaft turning, secure the washer. Large (very large) pliers or even a pipe wrench will take care of that.
mikelsr
Thanks for the reply. I tried an electric impact wrench and that didn't work. I had to order a compressor today and a pneumatic impact wrench (sears had them on-sale and were sold out).

The tab on the very large washer broke when I was putting the nut back on. Now the nut and the shock shaft turns inside the large washer. I had pliers on the washer and was putting the nut on when it broke. I don't think the nut is cross-threaded either.

Mike
Gint
How'd I miss that broken washer part? You're hosed!

Seriously, a pnuematic impact will usually do it by itself. Are you planning on keeping the struts or replacing them? If replacing it you could always sacrifice the shaft and use vice grips on it.
mikelsr
The pneumatic impact wrench worked like a champ. The problem now is that the threads got dinged up by the tab breaking off and I can't find a die in the area that fits. Well I will keep looking tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.