Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT install info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I have seen some threads about CHT. From them I have found the 2.0 has a stock one that should not be used. My car has carbs, but I am all about knowing the health of the engine and its parts. I read the best place to put the sensor is under the spark plug. Now the flood of questions:

What are some recommendations on who to go with for this setup?

Are you all running it under all 4 spark plugs or just one?

Does this replace the crush washer?

Is there any analog/period gauges available, can you show me your setup?

Thanks!
michael7810
I use the micro1000 dual gauge from Aircraft Spruce with sensors under #1&3 spark plugs. If you search here there are pictures. Also available in a single which you would put on #3. Some guys use a digital setup that reads all 4 cylinders...I think Tangerine racing sells it the digital setup I've seen. Here's a thread that discusses the micro1000. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=micro1000
It's not necessary but preferred to grind a little metal off the head to allow the sensor to fit better. I did without it for a year or so but ruined one sensor in the process.
Tom_T
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 9 2017, 03:12 PM) *

So I have seen some threads about CHT. From them I have found the 2.0 has a stock one that should not be used. My car has carbs...

Not sure what you're reading, but there is a proper stock & specific CHT for the 73 2L, then a different stock one for the 74-76 2L - & the 2 when switched can cause problems with the EFI, so one should keep 73 to 73, & the later -012 to 74-76.

If you're reading that it's bad to use the stock 2L EFI's CHT with Carbs (I really don't know on carb conversions), then please clarify that, so that folks with the stock EFI don't get the wrong idea.

I agree that it's good to have CHT to monitor an aircooled engine, & I'd think that one of the newer current VDO gauges & sensors out there would work for that purpose, even with carbs. You could team that with OT &/or OP in one of their 2 or 3 gauge mounts either below the dash, or in a modified ashtray.

But maybe someone else more experienced with the carb conversions has other ideas?

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
theer
Tom,

The stock CHT sends info to the FI to adjust for engine temp. It is unnecessary with OP's carb setup (no FI brain to talk to). It is located between #3 and #4 cylinders.

For accurate & timely engine temp feedback for a cockpit gauge, it is commonly accepted that the stock location is too far away from the action and a sensor under the #3 spark plug (at a minimum) will provide accurate temps and respond much more quickly to fluctuations.
nditiz1
Thanks guys

In reference to Tom's comment about not using the stock one to gauge was a comment that McMark made in another thread. He was an advocate for not using it as it was too far away to get a good measurement (paraphrasing). Pretty much what theer said.

I'm trying to put this on with the engine still in so I don't think grinding the head will be an option. Will there be an issue with this on the spark plug and the washer?
rmdinmd
I had no problem putting the sensor under the #3 spark plug.
TheCabinetmaker
Stock sender to far away? From what? How could it be closer by using the#3 plug location? The stock sender is next to the #3 plug.

Btw, I don't think Tom needs a lesson on how the cht works.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ Sep 10 2017, 07:16 AM) *

I had no problem putting the sensor under the #3 spark plug.

agree.gif I have run this for a few years now: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/pag...prod/prd347.htm

If putting under a spark plug you need the sensor with 14mm diameter, IIRC.

EDIT: I should add that I've done it with and without cutting a small relief in the head for the sensor. It will fit without cutting the relief (which is difficult to do with engine in car), but you may have to angle the sensor so it clears the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.