Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, MB C230 Kompressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
A mechanic neighbor has one from a customer that is going up for sale. 100k, auto, very good condition. Everything works.

Has anyone had one? Any opinions/ insight appreciated.

TIA,

Joe
DM_2000
I have a 1997 C280 driver ( 2.8 in line 6, 194 HP, 16.1 second 1/4 mile ) and a 1999 C230 parts car ( 2.3 inline 4 supercharged 185 HP )

The C230 has 10 hp less and is a rougher engine than the C280 so no real gain from the "Kompressor". The 230 would probably be more hammered on because it is a "Kompresor" than the actually faster 280.

Overall the cars are pretty good for an entry level MB but the 230 is decontented to a price. They drive nice and handle well with their soft springs and stiff shocks, no pillow barge is this car.

Watch the front upper spring perches, they are thin sheet metal and rust off. The whole car will get rusty just like any other in salt states.

Having a scan tool that reads MB is a must especially with a 98 and up as everything runs through CAN bus. ( Modules in the doors control functions for that door rather than hard wiring. )

Service parts pricing isn't any more expensive than a domestic car, electronics are $$ if purchased through the dealer so used is the way to go.

Make sure you get 2 keys, they are $ 200 ish as they are a "smart key". Also make sure the metal blade emergency key is in each smart key. If the car battery is drained, you need the metal key to get in. Also, don't try starting the car with a weak battery, it will scramble the smart key and EIS ( Electronic Ignition Switch ) leaving you with $$ to reprogram.
Porschef
Thanks for the reply. The car has been owned by the same gal for the last 11 years. Apparently, it's been relatively trouble free.

After the whole VW diesel fiasco, I've got to thinking that anything can be written into vehicle software. Expedited planned obsolescence, if you will. However, being a 2002, I don't think that's the case.

We'll have another look tomorrow, and go from there.

Thanks.
DM_2000
Bear in mind, the C class ( W202 body ) I'm talking about was made from 95 - 00

2001 is a W203 body and an entirely different car that I'm not all that familiar with. From what I recall, the power train is more or less the same as past years.

porschetub
Control arm bushes are made of German cheese,they haven't got better,please don't assume you buy an MB you get quality,those days are gone ...profit over quality has been going on for a while ,BMW did the same owned, a E39 touring worst car I ever owned.
thelogo
I forbid you to buy it

Cool car and can be nice

But wait until sensors, supercharge, seals ,exausht ,emission control
Intanke throttle body ,mechinazim etc go's bad

Any one of theses causes the other to fail and its a vicious
Maintenance cycle gets cost prohibitve quickly

But if your ok with all that then good car as long as its not a automatic ,then o shit sawzall-smiley.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.