Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Delco alternator wiring help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
I'm in the middle of a SBC conversion using Renegade parts on a '76 914..

I want to tie the Delco 10SI alternator into the stock harness if possible. If impossible since the stock set up uses an external regulator, where are the best points to tie into?

This is a standard 3 wire, internally regulated alternator (large "batt" terminal, terminal 1 is the field wire to the idiot light, and terminal 2 is the sensor wire).

Also, I have not found a good wiring diagram for this car. The Haynes one is difficult to interpret. Are there any good, clear ones available?

Thanks.
PatrickB
You can get that 10si alternator set up to run on just one wire, the big red one. Mine runs right off the big terminal on the starter, easy. Just doesn't run the idiot light that way.
Volt meter will tell you if it's charging.
DickSteinkamp
Thanks, Patrick.

Yes, I can do that by running the big wire direct to the battery (or the starter) and connecting the sensor wire (#2) to the big post on the alternator. I could also power the idiot light with a wire off the #1 alt terminal (no voltmeter on my car).

Do you just abandon the wiring to and from the existing external regulator then? Do you remove the external regulator?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.