Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Robnxious
Yes, I know they will fit on a narrow body, that's not my question. My question is, if you have gone to the lower profile tire, how did you like it? How much does this lower the car as well, since I already scrap coming out the driveway, and just now went and bought one of those Bridjit curb ramps. I plan on also adding Mark's fiberglass airdam on it too. So basically my questions are

1) I know you get better handling due to less tire sway, but how is the ride compared to a higher profile tire? I have never driven on low profiles, and think they would look and perform nicely, but haven't heard (or remember reading) about people who have the lower profile tires. I think the 195s are the biggest I can fit in there from what I have seen, and I sort of like the narrow body look.

2) Will they make the car so low that clearance is a major issue? Does no good to lower the go kart down further if I can't get over one of Sacramento's MANY speed bumps

Thanks
arne
Overall diameter of a 195/55 is about 23.4", compared to stock sizes at 25.0". This means you will lower your effective ride height by about half of the difference, so call it 3/4" or so lower if you now have a stockish size on the car. It will be significant if you already have clearance issues.

Ride will generally be harsher, but how much harsher will be dependent on the particular tire make and model you select.
mepstein
205x60 fit most cars with 2.0 Fuchs so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do 205x55 if you can find them. Might also look a little better than 195x55. It may be just me, I'm not a fan of low pro tires on our cars. I think the "look" is off and the suspension wasn't designed for it. Even with larger profile tires, our cars handle great.
Robnxious
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2017, 02:12 PM) *

205x60 fit most cars with 2.0 Fuchs so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do 205x55 if you can find them. Might also look a little better than 195x55. It may be just me, I'm not a fan of low pro tires on our cars. I think the "look" is off and the suspension wasn't designed for it. Even with larger profile tires, our cars handle great.

I have the Dan Gurney Western Wheels on it right now. I agree that the Fuchs don't look great with the lower profiles, but I think these would. I am on the lookout for a set of 2.0 Fuchs, but haven't found any at a price I like yet. I want to go with a wider and lower profile tire, and figured I would pick people's brains on this. Thanks for answering
Robnxious
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 10 2017, 01:52 PM) *

Overall diameter of a 195/55 is about 23.4", compared to stock sizes at 25.0". This means you will lower your effective ride height by about half of the, so call it 3/4" or so lower if you now have a stockish size on the car. It will be significant if you already have clearance issues.

Ride will generally be harsher, but how much harsher will be dependent on the particular tire make and model you select.

Thanks, I plan on using a good performance tire, probably about a 300 or 400 in what ever that scale is called for stickiness. I've only had issues with clearance getting out of my driveway, and am hoping that this Bridjit ramp will take care or that, though I won't be putting the tires on until I see how much more clearance I have with that.
Mark Henry
I think the low profile tires on a 15" wheel looks like crap on a 914.

It needs the 24.5-25" stock diameter to fill the wheel well correctly, plus it keeps the speedo correct.
IMHO If you want low profile tires do it the right way with bigger rims, on 15" rims it just looks like you cheeped out.

15" my picks 185/70, 195/65, 205/60
16" and 17" I'd use a tire calculator and keep the tire OD about stock.

Note there's an exception to my opinion but for AX only.
arne
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2017, 02:12 PM) *
It may be just me, I'm not a fan of low pro tires on our cars. I think the "look" is off and the suspension wasn't designed for it. Even with larger profile tires, our cars handle great.
agree.gif

It's not just you, Mark. I agree about both the look and the suspension bit. These cars were built for tall sidewall tires, and the limited benefits the low profile tires offer bring numerous compromises with them for street use.
arne
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Sep 10 2017, 02:26 PM) *
I agree that the Fuchs don't look great with the lower profiles, but I think these would.
My complaint on low profile looks has nothing to do with the wheels, and everything to do with proportions. The small sidewalls open up a larger fender gap when used on a 15" wheel, makes the car look jacked up even if it has been lowered. This is still an issue optically even if low profile tires are done the way the tire makers intended, by using low profile tires on larger 16" or 17" wheels to maintain stock overall diameter. To me, these cars need to have tall sidewalls to look right.
Robnxious
All right, I will yield to more learned minds than my own. Thank you for the advice gentlemen, I wasn't too sure on doing it, which is why I asked. I have heard the 195-65-15 tire, but was thinking how it would look with even less sidewall. I just really don't like all that sidewall, not sure how to explain why, I think the stance looks so much better with the lower wider tires.

Thanks again for your input!
Coondog
Here's what my 205-55-15 tire look like
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
I am running Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 195-55-15 tire (no longer available). It made a noticeable difference in ride height. Getting in and out is a bit more difficult. The front fender fill looks good, but the back has some gap on the front and back of the wheel opening. The speedo is off. Hole shot acceleration is better, but more shifting and higher rpm cruising at speed is the con. I have the LE spoiler too, but not installed. I'm worried it will scrape when I pull in my driveway as well. I had 195-65-15 Pirelli P6000 tires before. They actually had a stiffer ride than the lower profile Dunlops.

GeorgeRud
I'm running Michelin Exalto 195-65/15s on my 15" Fuchs and think they look appropriate on the car. So far, I've been satisfied with them for the ride and performance, but I don't race or autocross anymore.
Dave_Darling
I used to run 195/50-15s. I liked them at the time. Eventually, I liked them less.

IPB Image

I had originally used 195/60-15 in the same make and model, and found several differences when I went to 50-series tires:
- Lower gearing for better acceleration out of corners
- Stiffer sidewalls resulting in (slightly) more grip
- Better feedback from the tires

- Harder ride due to shorter sidewalls
- Freeway speeds required ~500 RPM more
- On a few autoX courses I had to shift up to 3rd and back, costing me some time

When I went to 50-series tires, I was finally able to feel the car well enough to catch a slide before it evolved into a spin. I had never done that on the 60-series tires.

Eventually, having to run higher RPMs on the freeway did get to me. The type of tires I wanted to run were also becoming harder to find in 195/50, so I wound up going with 205/60-15s.

--DD
BK911
I like them.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
ive run 4 diifferent rims and tire set ups on my car-
- in summary, the 14" 5 lug fuchs from a 914-6 were a taller tire an so ride was much softer - you can see them on my car in the August 914 calendar for this year, i was running them at Okteenerfest on tail of the dragon couple years ago- nice classic look and a comortable ride if you have lots of bumps- i assume a stock 15" fuch with standard height tires or like a 195/60 or so should be similar.
-my current set up is 16" fuchs from a 911-6" front and 7" rear, 205/55-16
really these are stock size for a 911 but i should have 205/50 - 205/45 would be pretty harsh id bet- i like the feel right now, fairly firm and super awesome grip with the Bridgestone Poteza tires once warmed up very sticky! with 8.5" tread on rear( this is the actual width of tread on ground with a 7"rim) its more focused toward performace than ride comfort- I also like the look- the tires and wheels fill up the fenders with out looking jacked up and no rubbing- i have 5/8" spacers on front to push them out a bit and it looks way better than the 14" or 15 with low profile that looked so small inside those fenders -
i saw all the same issues that Dave listed with positive and negatives
good luck with your Journery
Phil
DRPHIL914
current look front
Racer
imho, a 195/60-15 is the right tire for a -4. Ran them in the early 1990s when sticky tires and 60 series still worked together. Good balance of grip and ride comfort, as well as ground clearance. improved acceleration to boot.

I tried a 195-50 and hated the gearing impact when on the highway. Revs were way too high.

I always thought a 205-60 was too bulbous.

Olympic 914
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Sep 10 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I have the Dan Gurney Western Wheels on it right now. I agree that the Fuchs don't look great with the lower profiles, but I think these would. I am on the lookout for a set of 2.0 Fuchs, but haven't found any at a price I like yet. I want to go with a wider and lower profile tire, and figured I would pick people's brains on this. Thanks for answering

Be careful with the Dan Gurney wheels. I think most had the VW bug offset and run pretty close to the inner fender lip in the rear even with 185s

JamesM
Are you running on stock rims? I think anything over 185 width looks silly on stock rims, the tire just balloons out to much. Its less noticeable with shorter sidewalls but then you run into the issue of not filling out the wheel well. Also going with a tire treadwidth larger than the rim width can adversely affect handling. My choice for stick rims is either 185/70 if you can get it but tire selections sucks in that size or 185/65 isnt horrible and slightly more common.

If you want to run a wider tire get a wider rim. There are 15x7 and 16x7 4 bolt rims available that will let you run a 205 width without looking ridiculous.
HansJan
205/40/16 is the size on my tires.
The overall diameter is about 22 1/2". The result is that I'm running somewhere around 3,200 rpm just cruising on the highway.
That's not right.

And (of course) my speedo is way-off.

Can't wait to wear them out, so I can justify getting taller tires.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Sep 12 2017, 10:39 PM) *

205/40/16 is the size on my tires.
The overall diameter is about 22 1/2". The result is that I'm running somewhere around 3,200 rpm just cruising on the highway.
That's not right.

Can't wait to wear them out, so I can justify getting taller tires.

that is really small! i was set up like that dor a while with some empi 15" rims rubbed a bit even with 185 tires due to the vw offset-
my 205 55/16 on a 16x6" rim will not rub, in fact i have plenty of space, the 7" did rub in rear btw, but once these tires wear out i will go down to proper diameter with 205/50-16 - try the potenza -
euro911
I run with 195/65-15s on the 'BB' (2.1L) ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have a set of Pirelli P-6000 185/70-15s earmarked for the '71 (1.9L)

ThreeV8s
Slightly off-topic, but is everyone replacing their spare as well when going to a different size? For example, if your spare is 165/80 15 with a 25.4" diameter (and in excellent shape), would you swap it out if you went to 195/65 with a 25.0" diameter? Would there be any impact on the car if used to get you home?
mepstein
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Sep 13 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Slightly off-topic, but is everyone replacing their spare as well when going to a different size? For example, if your spare is 165/80 15 with a 25.4" diameter (and in excellent shape), would you swap it out if you went to 195/65 with a 25.0" diameter? Would there be any impact on the car if used to get you home?

It wont make any difference on the front. I dont know if it makes a difference on the rear but you could always move a good one to the rear if it does. I would use whatever size you have unless you also rotate the spare with your other wheels on a regular basis.
pvollma
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Sep 12 2017, 10:39 PM) *

You can create a chart of mph vs. rpm using my gear chart program at My Webpage. Click on the "Get help" button for instructions.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 13 2017, 12:30 PM) *

It wont make any difference on the front. I dont know if it makes a difference on the rear but you could always move a good one to the rear if it does. I would use whatever size you have unless you also rotate the spare with your other wheels on a regular basis.

Thanks Mark! That's what i figured. I'd imagine two tires of the same size and model could probably have a similar discrepancy if one is new and one well-worn.
GregAmy
Reading thread with interest...street car needs new shoes.

I'm running all-silver Fuchs replicas with 195/60-15 tires. Don't know the size/offset, haven't pulled a wheel yet. I have plenty of rear fender clearance to accept another 5,mm outboard if I wanted to run 205s.

My speedometer is around 10mph fast at 70, so I have either a speedo or drive problem. But I use a phone-based speedo anyway so it's no big deal.

Seems the original size is 165R15, which per a Tire Rack chart that's roughly comparable to 195/65R15 or 205/60R15. I'm trying to choose between those two. I want to get a good high performance tire at a good price.

Anyone have photos of 205/60-15s mounted on the car? Want to ensure it doesn't make my butt look fat on those skinny wheels.

Has anyone ever run staggered tires on a narrow body (195 in front, 205 in back)? Although that would make rotation a PITA.
Robnxious
This weekend, I'll be headed to the tire dealer, and we'll be trying different combos to see what works. I will let you know what I discover
IronHillRestorations
My vote is 195/60's. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a convincing 16" 2.0 Fuchs reproduction, it would really open up tire options
Larmo63
205/60 15s on deep sixes......

These fill the wheel wells nicely.

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Here is how the 195-55-15s look on a stock set-up. Just installed the LE spoiler from 914rubber too. There is enough clearance to get in and out of my driveway.
Robnxious
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Sep 14 2017, 01:38 PM) *

Here is how the 195-55-15s look on a stock set-up. Just installed the LE spoiler from 914rubber too. There is enough clearance to get in and out of my driveway.

Those look sweet. That is what I was thinking of with mine. Larmo's look nice too, and show me what I can do w/ a different rim on them
maf914
I've had 205/60 x 15 on my car for quite a while, but the problem is there are currently very few performance tires available in that size.

In the past there were plenty of performance tires available and I had a set of Yokohama AVS, which I has happy with. Five years ago, the best I could find were Bridgestone RE960. Now when I check Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc., there isn't much out there.

Time to go to 16" wheels? Then how long will performance tires be available as the general market moves to 17" to 20" wheels?
Dave_Darling
If you drop down to 50-series, there are still very good options available.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...amp;RunFlat=All

--DD
GregAmy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 15 2017, 01:19 PM) *

If you drop down to 50-series, there are still very good options available.

At that point, Spec Miata Hoosier SM7 take-offs beckon... wink.gif
drifter914
I used to run the Eagle GT's in a 195/60x15 & really liked them. Now I need tires again & they are NLA (of course). For the $ I really like the Yokohama S-Drive, but not available in that size. They do have a 205/55x15 for around $85. per tire.
Does any one offer a 195/60x15 performance tire these days ?
Robnxious
QUOTE(drifter914 @ Sep 15 2017, 02:37 PM) *

I used to run the Eagle GT's in a 195/60x15 & really liked them. Now I need tires again & they are NLA (of course). For the $ I really like the Yokohama S-Drive, but not available in that size. They do have a 205/55x15 for around $85. per tire.
Does any one offer a 195/60x15 performance tire these days ?

There were some Kuhmo tires that I am going to look at tomorrow that were recommended to me. Like I said, I will let people know what I find out after I go there
euro911
I have Kumho tires on one of the 914s ... they grip really well and weren't expensive at all. 195/65-15s
Robnxious
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 15 2017, 09:39 PM) *

I have Kumho tires on one of the 914s ... they grip really well and weren't expensive at all. 195/65-15s

I think those are the ones that the guy recommended to me, like 70 each, which isn't bad. I want some stick, but I don't want to leave half my tires on the road if I step on it
euro911
Good all around tire ... I was quite impressed with them

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Sep 13 2017, 02:52 PM) *

This weekend, I'll be headed to the tire dealer, and we'll be trying different combos to see what works. I will let you know what I discover

So...how'd your weekend go?
Robnxious
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 18 2017, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Robnxious @ Sep 13 2017, 02:52 PM) *

So...how'd your weekend go?

Well, they are going to bring in some 195-60-15 and 185-60-15 tires. They didn't have the ones in stock that I wanted, and I am out of town next week. I think it's going to be the 195-60-15's, but due to a possible clearance issue on the back we may need to go w/ the 185s
GregAmy
Thanks! Yeah, I'm leaning toward 195/60-15 for my '74 with Fuchs, simply because I'm thinking the 205s are a bit too wide for a 5-1/2" wheel. They can fit, but they'll "pooch" out a bit.

I should have no problems fitting a 195/60; it has 195/55 on it now and I can get an index finger in between the inner fender and the tire.
Jamie
I've been running Michelin Exalto 205/65x15 on my original 5.5" steelies for several years with only a minor inside rub when turning lock to lock. They are shades.gif very close to original diameter, but way better for traction in all weather!
horizontally-opposed
Used to run 205/55R15s. Liked the width and performance, but eventually looked wrong to me. Less so now, as period 914 race cars ran race tires of similar dimensions.

Even so, I like 195/65 and 205/60, and there are a couple of interesting choices in both categories. Remember that nearly any tire of today is a faaaaaar better tire than anything the 914 came equipped with.

The Pirelli is N-spec (Porsche approved) and is probably the only summer performance tire available in one of these sizes. Looks great on the cars, with nice sidewall bulge and it is sure to fit the wheel wells on most 914s. The Yokohama is a great autocross tire (there are almost certainly better ones) with a great, simple sidewall but a pretty alien tread pattern. The BFG Comp T/A has long had me wondering about how it works on a 914, as the look is period right on a 914 so long as the white letters are faced in to hide them. As seen on the recent super clean 914-6 GT tribute that sold on BaT for $55k....
horizontally-opposed
Used to run 205/55R15s. Liked the width and performance, but eventually looked wrong to me. Less so now, as period 914 race cars ran race tires of similar dimensions.

Even so, I like 195/65 and 205/60, and there are a couple of interesting choices in both categories. Remember that nearly any tire of today is a faaaaaar better tire than anything the 914 came equipped with.

The Pirelli is N-spec (Porsche approved) and is probably the only summer performance tire available in one of these sizes. Looks great on the cars, with nice sidewall bulge and it is sure to fit the wheel wells on most 914s. The Yokohama is a great autocross tire (there are almost certainly better ones) with a great, simple sidewall but a pretty alien tread pattern. The BFG Comp T/A has long had me wondering about how it works on a 914, as the look is period right on a 914 so long as the white letters are faced in to hide them. As seen on the recent super clean 914-6 GT tribute that sold on BaT for $55k....
ThreeV8s
I picked up a set of Firestone Firehawk AS tires today. These are one of a small group of "high performance all season" tires in 195/65 R15 and the reviews are pretty good. Most in this size are touring, grand touring, etc.

I'm bringing this up because they are already inexpensive at $68/tire at the local firestone, but there is a $60 rebate right now on a set of 4 and a $100 rebate if you use a firestone credit card by Nov 12th. Normally I get tires from tire rack, but it made more sense in this case to pick them up locally. I will post a review once they're on the car. I can't imagine that just about anything in this size (with a speed rating of h or better) wouldn't be a huge improvement over the 165/80 tires that came with the car.

euro911
Heck, at that a price, how could you go wrong? unsure.gif

Let us know how they work out for ya ... aktion035.gif
GeorgeRud
195/65-15 Michelin Exaltos on 6x15” Fuchs look right to me.Click to view attachment
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 26 2017, 09:09 PM) *

Heck, at that a price, how could you go wrong? unsure.gif

Let us know how they work out for ya ... aktion035.gif

Most tires in this size and category (yokohama, sumitomo, etc.) are in this price range, and the higher priced tires aren't necessarily better. It's ranked #3 out of 17 in the category on tire rack. Time will tell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.