Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel bearing rear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickB
Have had a small noise I couldn't find for a long time, wasn't sure if it was a wheel bearing or a bearing in the transmission. Was out to help a cousin in the pits with a Legends car last night, and the noise got a LOT worse on the way home. It's up on jackstands, and I think I've got a bad wheel bearing on the left side. Could have sworn the noise was on the right...

Anyhow, reading through the Haynes manual before I start. Looks like it's a case of pull the wheel, the brakes, and the 1/2 shaft to start. Hub should push out and then the bearing? Am I missing anything? Car is a '74 2 litre. Want to get it back together for an autocross next weekend. Anyone got a bearing number handy? Good bearing shop not too far away that might be quicker than ordering from a dealer or supplier.

Thanks in advance for whatever help/advice I get!
mepstein
Pmb performance has a great video on their site.
porschetub
Found my empty box,is marked SKF VKBA1460 I believe it is for a BMW but my bearing guy told me it fits several vehicles.
PatrickB
Thanks guys!
PatrickB
Got the wheels and the brakes off, half shafts undone. Working on the driver's side... can't quite pull the 1/2 shaft right out, not enough room with heater boxes on. Anyone ever have any luck doing this without dropping the control arm out of the car? I was hoping to not mess with the alignment but I'm thinking it's not optional.
And the bearing is definitely my problem. growling really bad when spun over.

Looks like it might be the same bearing as the front of my '92 Jetta, won't know until it's out. Takes the same socket to undo the 1/2 shaft.
914Sixer
Got to take the heater box off. No need to pull arms.
ndfrigi
I did a 4 to 5 lug conversion using PMB kit with the wheel off, brake caliper and shocks.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Not sure about pulling the heat exchanger,I got can get my cv shaft out no probs,follow fitting instructions as per PMB how to,really important so you don't bugger the bearing.
Yes I got all sorts of fitment applications VW,BMW,Audi and of course 914,the bearing for them is usually SKF or FAG.
Would be nice to get rid of that noise eh? beer.gif .
Dave_Darling
You could unbolt the shock from the top or the bottom to get more room to swing the trailing arm...

--DD
BeatNavy
From what I recall you really do need to remove something to get the axel off on the driver's side. For me the easiest was the starter. That gives you enough room to maneuver it out of the way for removal and installation.
PatrickB
Used a slide hammer puller to take the hub out. inner 1/2 of bearing came with...Not a big deal been down that road before.
Bearing is completely buggered now, just the outer race still stuck in the casting.
Going to think overnight, might be a case of torch it out. Not the first time, but parts for old Jetta's are a lot easier than parts for 914's if I screw it up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.