Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spark plug seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Is the general consensus still to push the rubber seal for the spark plugs INSIDE the cylinder tin (so it seals) under pressure?

-Aaron
injunmort
mine have a groove that slips into the tins, positive seal at all times
Porschef
What are those, Mort? That makes the most sense...
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 10 2017, 03:30 PM) *

Is the general consensus still to push the rubber seal for the spark plugs INSIDE the cylinder tin (so it seals) under pressure?

-Aaron

I push mine down thru the hole. Positive seal under pressure.
SO.O.C914er
Do you see any difference when there pushed inside. Mine are just resting on the outside not tight at all idea.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(injunmort @ Sep 10 2017, 03:51 PM) *

I've been looking for just that type of seal system. Where did you get yours?
michael7810
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Sep 10 2017, 09:04 PM) *

Looks like a new product idea for 914rubber??
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 11 2017, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Sep 10 2017, 09:04 PM) *

Looks like a new product idea for 914rubber??

I use the regular seals and just push them through the holes with a screw driver.
NFBrown
Corvair engines had a plug seal that snapped into the tin. I wonder if they could be adapted.

Nick
Mikey914
Let me check I may have one that would work nicely.
MartyYeoman
Something like this. I'm not sure of the hole size of the in Corvair's tin and if it will work for the 914 tins.
NFBrown
Looks like it's worth a try. I think I'll order some.

Nick
Mikey914
Checked my grommets, and the one that would work nicely was a little too small. headbang.gif
injunmort
beru set from partsgeek, about $24.00
Mikey914
Beru is exactly the same, it's an in or out also. I have a set in my hands.
euro911
If you push the seals down on the barrel of the connector prior to pushing them onto the plugs, they seal just fine (as designed by the factory) shades.gif
Mikey914
Yes, it looks like they will hold some tension. But not a "grommet" type of fit if that's whats wanted.
Mark
MartyYeoman
You're correct, Mark. Grommet fit is the goal.
Rand
There isn't that much pressure under there!! The idea that pressure will push the rubber against the underside of the tin hard enough to seal is a misnomer. A pretty ridiculous one.

Use all the gauges you want, try it both ways. You won't notice a difference in head or oil temps. Sometimes we get way out of reality with ignoramus details.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 15 2017, 03:43 PM) *

There isn't that much pressure under there!! The idea that pressure will push the rubber against the underside of the tin hard enough to seal is a misnomer. A pretty ridiculous one.

Use all the gauges you want, try it both ways. You won't notice a difference in head or oil temps. Sometimes we get way out of reality with ignoramus details.

agree.gif

Just push them until they seat firmly from the outside. That's all you need to do.
NFBrown
The Corvair spark plug boots can be made to work. They fit perfectly in the tin but must be modified by cutting off the inside and outside nipples and enlarging the hole to fit over the connector. I recall that they were easier to install in the tin on a Corvair.

Nick
MartyYeoman
Nice to know.

What style of motor tin did you fit test on 1.8 or 2.0?
NFBrown
It's hard to tell what tin I have. The case is from a VW 411 so it's likely a 1.7. I ordered a couple extra Corvair seals and I'm glad I did. I cut the center hole too big in the first one I modified.

They're a bear to snap into the tin but they sure seal up nice. Now I guess I should fix the other air leaks in the tin.

Nick
Pete00
I have run mine on the inside. I have run mine on the outside, I have run mine with none. Dyno showed no improvement nor did the oil temp, or the head temp. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.