Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: worst nuts so far:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
OK guys,
back onto my 72 project. I'm just trying to get it back on the road. Had to take some time off to put in a lift - which required a pad, and a major trenching project for the electrical, but thats now done, and I am back on the interior.

stripped the cabin, welded in 6 or 7 custom patches, I found I really liked the creative process of fabbing up pieces with complex multiple bends and cuts. I also confirmed what I already knew, and that is, I'm not much of a welder. But it's a heck of alot of fun, and the welds penetrate and dont break, they just look like a blind guy with cerbal palsey and dementia (no direspect to anyone dealing with those) did the welding.

so now Finishing up the inside, paiting it with rust reformer. then heat refectors, and a carpet kit.

Just pulled the pedal set, sending it to Bruce to spiff it up!

But the nuts holding the gas pedal? whats the dang deal? I tried every socket from 8 - 11, I'm pretty sure it was a 9, but couldn't make anything grab. 2 hours later, I gave up, and got revenge, got out the wheel and cut em off! I'll have to deal with a new set up later, but I can't let those 2 ignorant nuts delay my whole project. any one had sucess with these raskals, or have another nominee for worst nuts in history?

so inside is now all painted, waiting for the pedals to come back, PMB has done up my front calipers, I'm sending them my rears, so now, its under the car to finish rust repair. Turns out all the lift did was show me I had more work to do. I have to fab up the bottom of the last 1/4 of the tunnel , thats all rotten, and stop a few other rust spots, so thats where we go this week.
Spoke
I believe the nuts were 10mm.

Since you cut off the studs, you can just drill through and put a bolt from the bottom of the car up and weld underneath to secure.
Larmo63
They are/were 10mm headed BOLTS with big washers on them.
IronHillRestorations
Should be M6 bolts with a 10mm head. If you are talking about the bottom of the pan, then you cut off the pedal fasteners that were welded to the pan.
TheCabinetmaker
Lawrence, they are not 10mm bolts. They are 6mm bolts. They have a 10mm hex head. Big difference.
TheCabinetmaker
You beat me to it Perry!
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 10 2017, 09:56 PM) *

They are/were 10mm headed BOLTS with big washers on them.

Not any more! They were beheaded yesterday - for being infidels, and not bowing to the kings will!
euro911
Spray what's left of them with PB Blaster for a couple of days, and if (IF) there's enough to grab onto, use some Vice-GripsĀ® to unscrew them.

If not, drill 'em out and chase the original threads with a tap ...

unsure.gif
MoveQik
I assumed you were going to be talking about the dash. Try and remove and reinstall the dash. Then you'll know the worst nuts ever. biggrin.gif

Good luck with the pedals!
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 12 2017, 01:19 PM) *

Spray what's left of them with PB Blaster for a couple of days, and if (IF) there's enough to grab onto, use some Vice-GripsĀ® to unscrew them.

If not, drill 'em out and chase the original threads with a tap ...

unsure.gif

got a good 1.5 inches of thread sticking up, Hit em with PB Blaster, I can see it leaking out on the underpan, but I cant really figure out what they did. from underneath, there are 2 round "buttons, that fit flish to the floor pan. not sure if they have threads inside it, or what. I definitely cut off the heads of bolts, but I see no evidence of threads they fit into, only these thin "buttons"
euro911
Yeah, there are two nuts welded to the floor pan at the factory to attach the pedal.

PB and possibly a torch to heat the area up and you should be good. Your success is dependent on how rusty your foot well is ... confused24.gif

PIX ?
IronHillRestorations
I post it whenever appropriate, the best penetrating fluid is acetone mixed with ATF 1:1. Hands down the best ever. Mix it in a glass jar with a lid, as the acetone likes to evaporate asap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.