Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone running a Holley 4-barrel carb that can offer some help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matty900
We've been killing ourselves trying to get this car ready to take to Okteenerfest. Had to swap out the carbs that we were going to use for a setup that is running off of a Corvair and Holley 4-barrel set up. But having a hard time with bad throttle cable and trying to figure out smooth linkage for this. Has anybody done this that can give me some pictures and show me the best way to do it?
Matty900
welder.gif
Andyrew
With the v8's its always a tight cable as you have to run it up the front of the firewall. I've broken a couple of them.

The better way is running them behind the engine, but that takes a custom cable.
JRust
Looks like that is on a type 4? I don't think I have ever seen a holley 4 barrel on a 914 motor confused24.gif . If your going to run carbs they need to be dual carbs. The single has never been a good setup as it leans out one side in hard cornering. If this isn't an air cooled motor please just ignore me idea.gif
europrodan
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 11 2017, 11:16 AM) *

We've been killing ourselves trying to get this car ready to take to Okteenerfest. Had to swap out the carbs that we were going to use for a setup that is running off of a Corvair and Holley 4-barrel set up. But having a hard time with bad throttle cable and trying to figure out smooth linkage for this. Has anybody done this that can give me some pictures and show me the best way to do it?

it will take some trial and error with different springs for the return, but with a multi-pack you can usually get a nice combination. Message me if you need some more details I'm currently running a four-barrel setup in my car as well, it works okay... For now
mb911
I have thought about something like this for my 6 .. Even going with a FAST system as that is a self learning efi setup..

I hope you get it solved
76-914
Would a longer cable help Mat. I had one custom made for my Suby and they got the first one wrong. It is a std 914 cable but has a longer sheath and cable . I'll measure it tomorrow if you think it would help. beerchug.gif Kent
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 11 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Looks like that is on a type 4? I don't think I have ever seen a holley 4 barrel on a 914 motor confused24.gif . If your going to run carbs they need to be dual carbs. The single has never been a good setup as it leans out one side in hard cornering. If this isn't an air cooled motor please just ignore me idea.gif

Most def is a type 4... You can see the intake runners. Pretty common conversion that I personally have never seen run right. I think the intake runners simply are too long for a single carb. But the carb is in the same position as a V8 carb only about 6" lower.
RRietman
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 11 2017, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 11 2017, 01:04 PM) *

Most def is a type 4... You can see the intake runners. Pretty common conversion that I personally have never seen run right. I think the intake runners simply are too long for a single carb. But the carb is in the same position as a V8 carb only about 6" lower.

shit can that set up. if you can't afford IDF's get some used dellorto's. It will never run right.
Randy
cary
Worked a couple hours at Rothsport then took a couple hour nap ....................

Bought a new clutch cable and started over. Primary issue was the cheap clutch cable.
The bowden sleeve pulled out with the hard 90 degree turn. Junk.

This time I relieved the stress on the bowden sleeve with an over-sized cable clamp on the fan housing. This kept the bowden going straight. Then a nice smooth arc up to the carb.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

With the cable running smoothly Super In Law and I completed the fabrication.

Click to view attachment

After everything was hooked up and tested .................... MONEY, BUTTER

Time for bed ....................

DM_2000
That isn't a Holley, it's a Carter AFB or a copy ( Edelbrock has the rights now , Weber makes the carb. See the W and USA in the left center of the top pic. ) AFB is Aluminum Four Barrel, yes, some carbs used to be made from cast iron pre early 60's. . .

The secondaries have weighted throttle plate just above the mechanically operated throttle blades but just below the venturies. This weighted throttle plate regulates air flow only opening enough to satisfy engine needs.

There is also a AVS (Air Valve Secondary ) that had the throttle flap atop the venturies instead of below.

These carbs have 2 floats ( one on each side ) with pivots running left to right. this is good for cornering but , when mounted as in the pic, hard acceleration will cause rich mixtures and deceleration lean. This would be preferable to the other way round.

Under each of the 2 teardrop looking plates are a vacuum operated piston and metering rod. These dictate the shape of the primary venturi fuel curve.

Make sure you make / adjust a throttle stop under the pedal otherwise you will be putting a high load on the cable.

I'd be real concerned that the engine won't move enough air to make the secondaries work properly so I'd be prepared to disconnect the secondary linkage and wire them shut.

This engine isn't going to be happy until fully warmed up. Not having heat at the base of the carb will cause cold stumble / intake backfire.
McMark
Is that big carb seriously installed on a 1.7... yikes.gif

Way too big, IMHO. 1600cc VWs cable with a tiny single throat carb.
Matty900
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 12 2017, 04:09 PM) *

Super secret sand rail racing set up. The cam in the engine is pretty awesome. (In my 100 ft of driving it) we'll see if it lives up to the htype. Sure sounds great though
Matty900
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 12 2017, 04:09 PM) *

This is also a temporary solution
McMark
Your breather setup isn't right. You've sealed your engine, unless I'm missing something. See my other breather thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=316345
DM_2000
Needs two throttle return springs on the carb. If there is any sort of tech inspection where you are going to run, it will fail. Also the current spring is stretched out more than I'd like to see at idle.

If there is a divider in the intake plenum separating the left and right cylinder banks, the carb will look less "big" to the engine. ( RE: left side of carb feeds left bank )

cary
Mark, when Matt gets back I'll go with the plugged heads and run a Moroso catch can off the filler neck PCV valve gadget.

DM 2000, when Matt gets back we'll look at getting a much robust cable (Terry) and a dual spring set up. One inside the other. The plenum is some thing taken off a Corvair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.