Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rusted bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrcui
The previous owner decided to cover the rust on the rocker panel by throwing some fiberglass over it. Want to replace it but the bolts are rusted in. Sprayed WD40 and other stuff on them but they won't turn (and the bolt head is starting to strip).

Anyone got any suggestions on getting them out? confused24.gif

Aloha,
Vince
nebreitling
heat the motherfucher up with an oxy torch till it glows. then throw a cup of cool water on it.

proceed to un-bolt.

(not: probably don't do this on metal that you care about)
Hammy
I have the same problem with my seatbelt bolt on drivers side. Still never gotten it out.
If you're talking about the bolts that hold the rocker panels on from underneath, i ended up having to drill those suckers out. Probably not the best or smartest way, but it worked. confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jrcui @ May 20 2005, 02:58 AM)
Sprayed WD40 and other stuff

you need a real penetrating oil; WD-40 is neither.

my favorites: PB-Blaster, available at the FLAPS, and KROIL, which you might find there, although you may have to go to a gun store to find it. apply, soak, apply, soak... patience.

heat could work but you need a LOT (oxy-acetylene or oxy-MAPP) of VERY CONCENTRATED heat (small, intense flame). try to heat up JUST the head of the srew.

also the "impact drivers" work pretty well - the kind you smack with a hammer while holding on really tight with the other hand. maybe try to hit it once or twice in the "tighten" direction - just to break the corrosion bond.

that said - a lot of guys wind up just carefuly drilling them out. there are left-hand drill bits with stud extractors built for this purpose. Sears has them.

good luck - the factory did not use the best of hardware in this application...
joeav8tor
I got my exhaust bolts off (partially rusted) by heating them up with a benzene torch (blue bottle), and when it is glowing put a wrench on it and it will break free...I did this without the water...good luck flag.gif
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.