Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handles broken
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dheinz

OK.... Time to sell one of my 914 parts cars. The car has been sitting in a field for 10 years. Both door handles have snapped off. Do I have to break a vent window or is there a trick to opening the door?

I have inflated the tires and need to move the car to power wash it before posting an ad.
GaroldShaffer
so the flapper has broken off or the complete handle? If the handle is gone stick your finder in the were the handle was. Near the edge towards the rear of the door you will see the 'U" part of the door latch. Push that in while pulling on the door and it should open. I can post a picture in a little while of what I am talking about.

In the past I have been able to kindof force the window down with my hands enough to get a coat hanger between the glass and targa top and reach the inside door handle to pull it open.
dheinz
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 11 2017, 03:13 PM) *

so the flapper has broken off or the complete handle? If the handle is gone stick your finder in the were the handle was. Near the edge towards the rear of the door you will see the 'U" part of the door latch. Push that in while pulling on the door and it should open. I can post a picture in a little while of what I am talking about.

In the past I have been able to kindof force the window down with my hands enough to get a coat hanger between the glass and targa top and reach the inside door handle to pull it open.

Thanks Garold. The flaps are gone but the key slot chrome holders are still there. I don't want to break the vent window. I will try the coat hanger trick...
poorsche914
If you can somehow manipulate the rear targa latches, you could lift the top enough for easier access to roll a window down or even release the front latches.

driving.gif
bbrock
It's slightly brutal, but you can slip a pry bar under the targa top near a latch and gently pry up enough to bend the latch bracket a little. Then you push down on the top and, if you are lucky, the hook swings away and disengages. You'll have to do both sides to take the top off. You can remove the latch and tap it back to shape with a hammer afterward. Don't ask me how I know this. screwy.gif
rhodyguy
Parts car. Vent window glass is readily available. Sooner that than damaging the roll up window and all that entails. Do slim jims work on 914s?
dheinz
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 11 2017, 05:31 PM) *

If you can somehow manipulate the rear targa latches, you could lift the top enough for easier access to roll a window down or even release the front latches.

driving.gif

Lucky me, the rear targa latches were not latched. With some gentle persuasion and two 2x4s I was able to release the front latches. The car is now open and rolling. It will be up for sale soon.
76-914
post the VIN # here so that Sir Andy can sleep nights. biggrin.gif
dheinz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 12 2017, 04:28 PM) *

post the VIN # here so that Sir Andy can sleep nights. biggrin.gif

All of my vin#s posted here years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.