Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Programming a key for a Lexus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Anyone in my area (San Ramon, CA) ever programmed their own key for a 2007 Lexus RX350? There are three things that have to be done to program a new key assuming you have the master key.

1. Get the new key cut (done).
2. Program the key remote to open/lock the doors and trunk and alarm (done).
3. Program the ECM so that the new key transponder is added to the list of keys that can start the car.

Performing #3 requires the dealer ($$$), a locksmith ($$$) or the Techstream software with a USB-to-OBD-II cable.

Curious if anyone here has the software/cable? Otherwise, curious if anyone here could recommend an automotive locksmith? I'm trying to avoid the dealer ($$$) if possible.
burton73
I have a 2008 RX400H and I have found that some things are just better done at the dealer plus Lexus gives you the free loner car.
My dealer has fairly low prices in Santa Monica.

I am curious if someone has what you need and the cost difference in price. In 2009 my 2007 Boxster cost a lot to service for anything compared to my Lexus cars over the years. We where a Lexus family now just one. I found Porsche much higher in cost to service than Hot Rod Toyotas

Bob B
boxsterfan
I don't disagree that some things are better done at the dealer or locksmith (ie. a professional), but being someone who works in technology, I find the whole thing really quite simple. The whole process simply involves inserting the new key identification code for its transponder into a table in the ECM. A bit of a rant on my part I suppose....

burton73
No I understand. I hope someone here can help you out.

Most locksmiths are what I believe are over price but what the hell. Everyone needs to make a living. The Internet has saved us big time on most things but it has also cost a lot of people their jobs as items you can buy on line you can shop a better price on. Hard goods. Service work still needs to be done in person.

porschetub
Don't know if this is any help because the Toyota may be different,my locksmith put my key into a key reader then put that programme into my replacement,worked fine ,Audi wanted $700 and they did it for $210 ,no remote central locking function but needed a spare so it worked for me.
DRPHIL914
My Audi cost me ~$200 for new key and programmed etc , Our jaguar about same, and my last Porsche boxster i know they wanted more than that and i never did get a second key to replace the one i lost- sold it with one key-
we currently have a 2007 Lexus 400h, came with one programed and one valet. Our daughter's boyfriend works for Lexus and can get us a new key for his cost and i believe he said under $150 not sure what normal full price is here but i can find out by tomorrow.
toolguy
I needed a new spare key for my Mercedes slk. . dealer item then another $180 to program the ECM and the Security computer. . The ECM had 8 ports, one time use for each and they are burned . . The dealer final got the key from Mercedes Key Control somewhere in Texas. . had to make another appointment for the programming/ /
After a 3 hour wait in their lounge waiting, the service manager came in and said 'we have a problem. . I asked, What problem do YOU have. . ? Apperently the service tech burned all the ports and still couldn't get the new key to work.

Short story of a long process is the dealer had to order 3 new keys, a new ECM AND a Security computer from Germany. . 2 weeks to arrive then another 3 days for them to remove the entire dash to get to the security computer which is buried under everything for security reasons. . I drove the crap out of the new loaner car they had to give me. .
porschetub
Audi agent local (monkeys) told me the main cost was to establish I owned the car and could prove that,total BS I think it is a money making exercise and should be a customer service for fu#ks sake in my country you can name your number plate number and all is revealed from our countries main registration data base.
Just a total rip in IMHO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.