Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vin # location 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
orclean1
1970 914-6 did they have 4 vin# locations
1.silver tag near right headlight motor
2.number on passenger side wheel well inside front trunk and did the number have a star in the beginning and end of number
3.a pillar driver side
4.driver side door jam

any pics would be helpful
bretth
You are correct about all locations except the pillar tag does not contain the VIN. In addition there is a chassis number in the rear trunk floor. And sometimes there is a hand scrawled vin under the dash top but you would have to remove the top on order to see it. A web search on 914 tag locations should get you the photos you need. I am also in NY

EDIT: Sorry I was confusing the door jam and the chassis plate area and also forgetting about the Vin behind the windshield.

welcome.png
toolguy
A post pillar has the vin only
cedric9146
I have a nr in my rear truk stamped . Whats that ?
toolguy
The trunk stamp, located directly in the center under the latch on factory 6 cars, is the Karman body number. On a real 6, it is 6 digits and starts with '13'
On four's it is in the lower right corner.
cedric9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Sep 14 2017, 03:25 PM) *

The trunk stamp, located directly in the center under the latch on factory 6 cars, is the Karman body number. On a real 6, it is 6 digits and starts with '13'
On four's it is in the lower right corner.

And what does that karman nr say about your car?
gcrotvik
Jeff Bowlsby, Jan 7 2006, 04:17 PM

Chassis Plate data: Chassis Production Number and Paint Code: The chassis production number is found in two places, on the chassis plate attached to the front drivers door jamb and also stamped into the right rear trunk floor. The chassis production number is actually a code telling us the consecutive number of the particular chassis, and the date production was initiated on that particular chassis. The chassis production number decodement is:

WW-D-9-5XX Where:

WW = the week of a given calendar year

D = the day of the week of the calendar year (Monday =1)

9 = the code for the Karmann Factory at Osnabrueck where all 914 chassis were fabricated.

5XX = the consecutive chassis number, beginning with number 500 each day for 1974 Porsche 914 cars, begins with 000 for 1975-76 cars.
gms
QUOTE(cedric9146 @ Sep 14 2017, 08:49 AM) *

And what does that karman nr say about your car?

Karmann number:
1970 starts with 130 ####, 1971 starts with 131#### and 1972 starts with 132####. They are serial number indicating the order of produced not a combination code like the 4 cylinder cars. The VIN number is order of completion.
They are stamped in the center of the rear trunk on the 1970 914/6 and on the passenger side of the rear of the trunk for 1971 and 1972.
914/6s do not have the Karmann number stamped in the badge, just the paint code.

US cars were required to have VIN plate on the driver's side window frame and a DOT sticker in the driver's door jam.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
early early cars also had the vin stamped in front of the right rear shock tower
Jonathan Livesay
My car, vin# 9140430275 has 130410 stamped in the center of the trunk, but the paint code tag is L21E which I thought was the paint code for 4 cyl. cars, and it's got a Karmann # on the tag: 1319589. Is it likely that that tag was added at some point, or could it have started out with both Karmann numbers somehow?
gms
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Nov 7 2017, 04:30 PM) *

My car, vin# 9140430275 has 130410 stamped in the center of the trunk, but the paint code tag is L21E which I thought was the paint code for 4 cyl. cars, and it's got a Karmann # on the tag: 1319589. Is it likely that that tag was added at some point, or could it have started out with both Karmann numbers somehow?

I would be inclined to believe that the Karmann badge is not the original.
Your car was probably built in January of 1970, the number on the Karmann badge indicates March 23rd 1970. Porsche was on VIN in the 914.043.1100 range at the end of March and I doubt they made 89 sixes in a day.
larryM
iirc some cars had the vin stamped on a metal tab under the dash, directly above the ashtray - i had 2 of those, both rusty junkers (043-2294 - & - 1498) - it's not easy to locate & nearly impossible to photo on a car that has the dash intact

i failed to think it was important enuf to get a picture of it on 1498, for 2294 the remaining pic (dated 2007) i have is too fuzzy to use ((crummy camera, too close to focus, etc, & i discarded a lot of pics of stuff i no longer had after-a-crash-PC upgrade )

i tho't it was common - like 911's "secret" under dash number which i learned about from Jim Breazeale (E.A.S.Y.) when i bought a salvage-title 911 that allegedly came from his yard circa 1977-78; iirc Jim (circa 2008) said 914's also had it & told me where to look

a prior long-ago thread on this topic does not confirm that 914's had this; and i never knew to look on any of the dozen -4's i'd owned
mepstein
I just looked at 3 metal (914-4) dashes- ‘71, 73 & 75. No vin tag on any of them.
davep
On both the 914/4 and the 914/6 the chassis # is hand written with a grease pencil. This is on the underside of the dash in the area over the ashtray, and could cover 10" in length. These are often very faded. Nearly impossible to see with the dash installed.

The 1970 914/6 has a short body chassis # with the year digit missing while the dash # does have the year digit in place. For early 914/6 the dash and body numbers generally will not match, but will be close; later they became synchronized somewhere near 2600.

In 1970 model year the chassis # in the rear trunk floor was stamped in the center for both models. From 1971 model year the numbers were in front of the right tail light housing. I do not know if this was strictly a model year change or if there was a transition period. At least one very late 1970 MY 914/6 with Sporto has a 1971 MY body.

At present there is a concerted effort to collect data on the 914/6 from COA's. It would be very useful to add chassis number data and dates from the compliance decal.
larryM
???? - by whom & obtained from what sources?

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 13 2018, 03:53 PM) *

At present there is a concerted effort to collect data on the 914/6 from COA's. It would be very useful to add chassis number data and dates from the compliance decal.

are we invited to submit our COA's to someone?

fwiw - my germany origin car, gray-imported in 1976, has no compliance decal, and i'd be surprised if any other RoW cars have one

davep
QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 14 2018, 11:58 AM) *

fwiw - my germany origin car, gray-imported in 1976, has no compliance decal, and i'd be surprised if any other RoW cars have one

You can submit to me since I am entering them into a database. Compliance decal only on North American cars; but this is the best way to date the production completion of a car. The existing COA I have came from owners submissions in the past and from those posted on the web. Transmission #'s that are not listed on the COA, but known should be submitted also.
dug
Glenn Stazak has been running a 914-6 registry page for a few decades.
http://www.stazak.com/914reg/
A few of us have been compiling the VIN-engine-chassis mapping for quite some time, me included.
cheers,
dug

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 22 2018, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Jan 14 2018, 11:58 AM) *

You can submit to me since I am entering them into a database. Compliance decal only on North American cars; but this is the best way to date the production completion of a car. The existing COA I have came from owners submissions in the past and from those posted on the web. Transmission #'s that are not listed on the COA, but known should be submitted also.

gms
DaveP, Larry Lee and myself are currently working on a 914-6 Compliance Sticker Project , any information helps us close the gaps and production volumes per month.

We also collect the COA to give us engine numbers, options and original colors which allow us to make engine number graphs and percentage of colors.
914andy
I have a 74 LE ***914552.
The grease pencil # (red) on bottom side of dash is
829556. Don't know what that means... has my dash been changed out in the past or did the workers just grab items out of a bin?
andy
mepstein
QUOTE(914andy @ Apr 6 2018, 09:29 PM) *

829556. Don't know what that means... has my dash been changed out in the past or did the workers just grab items out of a bin?
andy

dash number doesn't coincide with vin on 914's
davep
QUOTE(914andy @ Apr 6 2018, 05:29 PM) *

andy

829556 is the body # on a 914/4. This should be the same # on the paint plate, and stamped into rear trunk floor near right taillight.
decodes as 8th week, 2nd day=Tuesday, 56th body that day
I was so proud the day I figured that out; over 42 years ago now. Damn, must be getting old.
RémiDAVID
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 13 2018, 06:53 PM) *

On both the 914/4 and the 914/6 the chassis # is hand written with a grease pencil. This is on the underside of the dash in the area over the ashtray, and could cover 10" in length. These are often very faded. Nearly impossible to see with the dash installed.

The 1970 914/6 has a short body chassis # with the year digit missing while the dash # does have the year digit in place. For early 914/6 the dash and body numbers generally will not match, but will be close; later they became synchronized somewhere near 2600.

In 1970 model year the chassis # in the rear trunk floor was stamped in the center for both models. From 1971 model year the numbers were in front of the right tail light housing. I do not know if this was strictly a model year change or if there was a transition period. At least one very late 1970 MY 914/6 with Sporto has a 1971 MY body.

Here is the dashboard number of 6#1709 Click to view attachmentI haven't the body num because the rear floor has been replaced so we can not compare them confused24.gif
RémiDAVID
QUOTE(RémiDAVID @ Apr 30 2018, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 13 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Here is the dashboard number of 6#1709 Click to view attachmentI haven't the body num because the rear floor has been replaced so we can not compare them confused24.gif

It would seem that the 5st digit it's 9 ??
davep
I'd guess 6 or 8 but 9 is too high for that VIN. Do you have a COA?
RémiDAVID
QUOTE(davep @ May 23 2018, 10:20 PM) *

I'd guess 6 or 8 but 9 is too high for that VIN. Do you have a COA?

You are right may be a 6 agree.gif. It's the strength of an historian : beerchug.gif
No I haven't CAO it's very expensive to have it in France more 100 €uros
I know this car is matching rolleyes.gif
I Will ask when rebuilt will be more advanced welder.gif Thanks for your advice
I'll correct it in database type.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.