Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
Can anybody tell me where i can purchase a short car hauler. I want it to tilt also so that i could also use it to transport a scissors lift for work.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(TonyA @ Sep 13 2017, 10:38 AM) *

Can anybody tell me where i can purchase a short car hauler. I want it to tilt also so that i could also use it to transport a scissors lift for work.

Trailer manufacturers can be regional. I bought my trailer from Carson out of CA. You can get a drop axel to make it lower, and equipment / cars can be more easily loaded with a dovetail and longer ramps.

Good luck!
bbrock
agree.gif For what it's worth, I have a small (5'x9') tilt utility trailer that I absolutely hate and will never buy a tilt trailer again. The axle is in the middle to facilitate tilting which often makes it difficult to get enough tongue weight on the load. Without the tongue weight, the trailer is downright dangerous as it whips and bucks at any speed over 40 mph. I'd much rather have a drop axle trailer equipped with ramps.
914Sixer
Look for a roll back tandem trailer.
Mike Bellis
Buy one in Texas. All trailers are way cheaper there. I bought a 24' 5th wheel there, brand new for $13,000. Same exact trailer in CA was $26,000. I drove to go get it spending an additional $1,500 in gas, food and lodging.
JRust
I had a 14x7 single axle tilt trailer that was kick ass. I wish I could find it to buy it back. Was the only trailer I have loaded 914's on that didn't scrape at all. A nice tilt trailer is hard to beat. I brought my Scissor lift home with it & it was so simple. Having a winch on the front helps too aktion035.gif
toolguy
I tried to find a prebuilt with low clearance and had no luck. . Built this one myself. It has 4 inch dropped axles and a 2 inch arched curve built into the rails. jacked up with the tounf wheel and the ramps to the bed are a straight shop. . My car has 3 inch ground clearance and it is an easy load for 1 person. Axles set a little rearward for good tongue weigh with a rear engine car. . Tows like there is nothing behind you. . 13 foot bed and 6 foot tongue so it fits in the garage with the car on it.

I have a slight dip in my driveway so the car is an easy roll on and off.

jeff
Nice build, I'd like to see more pics of that..
toolguy
Here it is built and being primed before paint. . All framing was made with structural square tube, finished weight was right at 1500 pounds with dual 3500 pound axles. .
diamond plate side steps all around and full fenders. . Only bad part is the cars doors wont open completely once loaded so access is with top off or crawl out window. . Click to view attachment
Andyrew
I want to design and build something like this...
http://www.futuratrailers.com/
Mark Henry
I built this one in the early 90's,

IPB Image

IPB Image
Optimusglen
I always thought this was cool, no idea if something like this would be ok to live with though.

IPB Image
andys
When I towed my car to Willow Springs, a friend loaned me his Featherlight aluminum tandem trailer. It had fold-down fenders, which is a great feature! No crawling over anything.

Andys
TonyA
Thanks for all the input guys. I may wind up buying one which is longer than what I wanted at 18'. It power tilts and jacks needs a little work.
914Sixer
Here is my 14" tandem trailer with the 75 914 on it. I paid $1500 for it with new tires and wheels. The ramps were included in the price. I added the front mount hitch for the winch. Lots of room at the back.
Porschef
Foley has the best one, my car spent some time on it rolleyes.gif

But it's custom designed for the 914 beerchug.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 14 2017, 11:01 AM) *

drooley.gif

Where do I sign up
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 15 2017, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 14 2017, 11:01 AM) *

drooley.gif

Where do I sign up

I want to do some design changes to my trailer.
Mine's a single 3500lbs axle which with a SUV is more than enough for 914, bug or split bus.
If you haul more than 3000lbs you want a dual axle trailer and a full size P/U.

Here's some more ideas, the dove tail makes it nice to crawl under to chain up the rear. Nice feature as I know it's a total PITA doing this deed on a regular trailer.

IPB Image
[/img]
IPB Image
type2man
Trailers are for boats.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.