Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: if it's not one thing, it's another
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
i have a slight grinding noise when i am starting out of first gear. it only happens when i am rolling and already in gear. and it also happens when i am shifted into 2nd gear, and again, while i am rolling. then i don't hear it anymore. but.........sometimes (and maybe not related)when maintaining a consistent rpm, the car sometimes pulls it self back for a second, like it is choking. ideas???? (everything about the car is stock)
ArtechnikA
on problem one, i'd check engine and transmission mounts.

on two, i donno, other than to suggest that you check all the usual tuneup stuff.
bad connection on the CHT can flood it for a second, bad connection on the coil can cut the spark... there's gotta be something wrong because "it shouldn't do that..."
MoveQik
Ahhh.....the fun of getting a car back on the road! Sorry, I'm no help but I can empathize with you!
TROJANMAN
engine was rebuilt about 100 miles ago by a "professional" so i am hoping the connections are good.
the stutter i am experiences also happened prior to the rebuild. or at least i think it did. it's been 3 years between test drives.
brp914
You dont say where the grinding is coming from, or how long it has been going on, but I'll throw this out there: low gear oil or bad intermediate plate bearings. 1st and second gear are on either side of the plate and both load the bearings there. Check gear oil for lots of sparkly stuff. I would describe the sound as rather high pitched grind-whine. Rear wheel bearings I would describe as more of a low pitched rumble. These should not come on all of a sudden. But they are consistent with the car being in motion, not just running of the engine. With CV's, one moment lifes great, the next you're walking home. CV's with cracked cages will make a clicking sound with the car jacked up. oh well, fwiw - good luck
Gint
All good suggestions so far. Hard to diagnose this way though. You should bring it by and take me for a ride this weekend. Maybe we can narrow it down.
Rand
If the engine was out that recently it's definitely time to re-check all the mounts.
BMartin914
Where is the noise coming from? I have a noise that could be described as 'grinding' when starting out in first on clutch take-up. I attribute it to a throwout bearing that may be going bad or is too dry.

You may be able to narrow it down if you can discern WHERE the noise is coming from.
bondo
1st and second gear will put the most load on the intermediate plate bearings. You may be able to check them out by pulling the tail cover (pretty easy if you have a sideshift) and try and pry them apart, or move them around. If they move at all, something's terribly wrong.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ May 20 2005, 07:08 AM)
i have a slight grinding noise when i am starting out of first gear. it only happens when i am rolling and already in gear. and it also happens when i am shifted into 2nd gear, and again, while i am rolling. then i don't hear it anymore. but.........sometimes (and maybe not related)when maintaining a consistent rpm, the car sometimes pulls it self back for a second, like it is choking. ideas???? (everything about the car is stock)

#1 - check for a sticking rear caliper

#2- hmm, check the TPS for wear or clean all the grounds on the car. Tranny strap, battery neg term, FI block etc.... cool.gif
TROJANMAN
thanks for all of the suggestions. GInt i may be calling you for a test ride. maybe sunday? unless you want to join me for an offroad trip tomorrow morning?
i'll pm you my number if you want to come. otherwise pm me yours. thanks
Gint
I'll be over at Kevin's Sunday helping to fix his computer so he can post pics while he and Rex and who knows who else will be pulling a 914 motor. That would be a good opportunity. Today is pretty much booked with lawn, house, wife, kids, etc...

I got your PMm but your obviously out this morning. My cell is 720-480-2540 Call anythime.
TROJANMAN
ya, i left early to run slaughterhouse gulch

donde vive kevin? y, a que hora?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.