Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this 914 restorable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmass76
I am a few days away from buying this 914 (and driving 10 1/2 hours). I am looking for a complete restorable car. I know that the car will need a lot of body panel replacement, but does it have enough to build onto? The outer body, interior components look good to me and the engine is all there. The price is right and I will get my money back from parts if need be, just rather have a fully restored 914. I also realize that this project will take thousands of dollars and years. I am wanting a great project that I can get a lot of fun garage/shop time out of.

Thanks for my first post and thank you for your opinions!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Yes but... that rust goes deep.
jmass76
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 14 2017, 10:23 AM) *

Yes but... that rust goes deep.

I just love the previous owners pan "fix". wacko.gif
Mark Henry
Any car is restorable, that said what's the final product worth and how long does it take to finish?
Restoring a car will always cost way more than buying a sorted car and once you factor in the cost of your labor... way more.
Not to mention the time on jackstands and the countless number of projects that just never get finished.

I tell people all the time to buy the best car you can, in fact in the big picture it would be cheaper to get a personal loan, buy a real nice car and drive it today.
By the time you pay off the loan it will work out cheaper than the restoration costs incurred and you were driving your 914 that whole time.
jmass76
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 14 2017, 10:30 AM) *

Any car is restorable, that said what's the final product worth and how long does it take to finish?
Restoring a car will always cost way more than buying a sorted car and once you factor in the cost of your labor... way more.
Not to mention the time on jackstands and the countless number of projects that just never get finished.

I tell people all the time to buy the best car you can, in fact in the big picture it would be cheaper to get a personal loan, buy a real nice car and drive it today.
By the time you pay off the loan it will work out cheaper than the restoration costs incurred and you were driving your 914 that whole time.

I hear you, and I do have the choice to buy a bit nicer. I am looking for a car that I touch every part of restoring. I've worked on cars since I was 14 and am now 40 and have always wanted to do a complete restore. Due to size and simplicity I think the 914 is a great choice (not to mention I also like the body style a ton more than what came in the 80's and early 90's. I am more concerned that the rust has eaten away a part of the chassis that isn't available. I can weld on parts, but I am no metal fabricator.
mgphoto
This would be a tough starting point.
An experienced restorer with a good bit of cash can work wonders, as can an amateur with a big desire.
As a first project it could be tough to complete.
Just my opinion, which doesn't mean much.
Mike
bbrock
welcome.png
I was born and raised in Topeka, and have been to Lyndon many times. Yes, it can be restored but whether it is a good project depends on how much time and money are willing to spend, and, of course, your skills. IMO, trunks are pretty easy to repair and I'm also in awe of the horrible patchwork that has been done. Frames and floors require more resolve but doable. Restoration Design has the sheet metal you'll need. Dig through the build threads to get an idea of what you might be up against. It's hard to tell from pics, but I'm in the middle of what might be a comparable rustoration which you can read here. I will add that I am a lifelong serial DIY projecter but the fun factor of 914 restoration has far exceeded any past project. I love it. And I was not a metal fabricator before I started, but have surprised myself with what can be accomplished.

Good luck with your decision and possible future project!
jmass76
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 14 2017, 10:38 AM) *

This would be a tough starting point.
An experienced restorer with a good bit of cash can work wonders, as can an amateur with a big desire.
As a first project it could be tough to complete.
Just my opinion, which doesn't mean much.
Mike

Thanks for your thoughts Mike. I guess I'm pretty sentimental toward cars too. I really want to save all of them and when I see a car neglected it drives me crazy. It would be great to bring one back from the dead instead of parting out. I realize there would be a ton of time pulling off everything, sandblasting, sanding, welding on body components, painting, etc. I think my wife wants me to get this one so she will stop listening to me about getting another Porsche and just work for eternity! Ha!
jmass76
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 14 2017, 10:41 AM) *

welcome.png
I was born and raised in Topeka, and have been to Lyndon many times. Yes, it can be restored but whether it is a good project depends on how much time and money are willing to spend, and, of course, your skills. IMO, trunks are pretty easy to repair and I'm also in awe of the horrible patchwork that has been done. Frames and floors require more resolve but doable. Restoration Design has the sheet metal you'll need. Dig through the build threads to get an idea of what you might be up against. It's hard to tell from pics, but I'm in the middle of what might be a comparable rustoration which you can read here. I will add that I am a lifelong serial DIY projecter but the fun factor of 914 restoration has far exceeded any past project. I love it. And I was not a metal fabricator before I started, but have surprised myself with what can be accomplished.

Good luck with your decision and possible future project!

Yep, I grew up in Topeka and went to Washburn Rural. Small world! I know the time and money will be endless, but the good thing about this project is the amount of time that money will be stretched out (years). Most of the cars I've seen in this price range have looked worse than this one (at least on the outside) and in a million pieces (which I know mine will be, but I want to be the one to do it). I'll check out your thread and hopefully be in touch.

Thanks!
jmass76
BTW, in pic#5 of the underbelly, what is the bar that comes toward the picture from the other side of the car and then looks like it just stops?
Larmo63
We get the "Should I buy this car and restore it?" question here all the time. The answer is always a version of the same thing; buy the best car you can afford. A lot of people buy a 914 thinking they can and will restore it, but lose interest as they tear it apart. That looks like a lot of work, and while it can be fixed (eventually,) I personally would move on to a better chassis.
jmass76
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 14 2017, 10:56 AM) *

We get the "Should I buy this car and restore it?" question here all the time. The answer is always a version of the same thing; buy the best car you can afford. A lot of people buy a 914 thinking they can and will restore it, but lose interest as they tear it apart. That looks like a lot of work, and while it can be fixed (eventually,) I personally would move on to a better chassis.

Thank you! I am still a bit up in the air. The car is a long haul away. I guess what I could do is get it, start it, and then if I say "hell no", sell the parts.
mgphoto
Options pull down menu , switch to "standard "
arne
I would only consider tackling that car if it had special value, either intrinsic (rare car, like a factory 6) or sentimental (family car). Even then I'd have to ponder it very hard. That car requires a complete shell rebuild. It is more than simply welding on new panels. There will be some fab work required, and much metal work to fit new panels.

I too like to rescue old cars, it's my retirement hobby now. But some cars are too far gone. You can still "touch every part" of a car that has much less structural rust.
mgphoto
QUOTE(jmass76 @ Sep 14 2017, 08:53 AM) *

BTW, in pic#5 of the underbelly, what is the bar that comes toward the picture from the other side of the car and then looks like it just stops?

Are you referring to the engine mount bar?
jmass76
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Sep 14 2017, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(jmass76 @ Sep 14 2017, 08:53 AM) *

Are you referring to the engine mount bar?

Now that you have told me the name of it and I see it on some other pics, yes that's it.
Thanks!
jmass76
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 14 2017, 11:04 AM) *

I would only consider tackling that car if it had special value, either intrinsic (rare car, like a factory 6) or sentimental (family car). Even then I'd have to ponder it very hard. That car requires a complete shell rebuild. It is more than simply welding on new panels. There will be some fab work required, and much metal work to fit new panels.

I too like to rescue old cars, it's my retirement hobby now. But some cars are too far gone. You can still "touch every part" of a car that has much less structural rust.

And that is why I came here for an opinion. That is probably something I don't want to get into.
mgphoto
The 914 is a simple car, to an extent.
Electrics, brakes, engine and yes fuel injection is simple.
The body and chassis are not. Uni-body was cutting edge in the 60's when the 914 was designed. So chassis repairs are a bit complex.
I went through what you are feeling, but I had 30 + years ownership and 300k miles driven in that car.
With that background it was a labor of love, without it , it would have been just a labor and I may have lost interest in a 5 year project.
I'm all for saving as many of these little cars as possible but the reasoning behind the restoration must be addressed.
Good luck.
Mike
Ferg
Nope unsure.gif
ChrisFoley
I would not pay money for a 914 in that condition.
jmass76
Thank you for all of your input. I've decided not to buy it.
PanelBilly
No!
Parts
Move on to one that is more worthy
mzalanka
welcome.png

Man - it is restorable but it will be a LOT of work. And a LOT, as in a stromberg.gif -ton of money.

Assuming you do all the work yourself, already have a MIG setup, have access to or can source/build a rotisserie, have gallons of paint stripper and/or media blasting equipment, already have spray equipment and free access to a suitable paint booth: you would still spend multiple tens of thousands of dollars to restore that vehicle and it is going to take many thousands of hours. It would be a Job-like undertaking of pure masochism.

There is an extremely nice V8 project for sale in the classifieds at an unbelievable price. Even if not your taste it would be a far more reasonable venture to do the metalwork to convert that one back to stock form. I would 1000% recommend relieving the seller of that vehicle, saving yourself the 10.5 hour trip, and having a vehicle you can drive in a year or two, not 10.

EDIT: I see you've come to the right conclusion. Good man. Get on that red V8!
boxsterfan
Looks like a lot of work, but if you have your own shop, tools and can do your own welding then go for it.
jmass76
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Sep 14 2017, 11:52 AM) *

welcome.png

Man - it is restorable but it will be a LOT of work. And a LOT, as in a stromberg.gif -ton of money.

Assuming you do all the work yourself, already have a MIG setup, have access to or can source/build a rotisserie, have gallons of paint stripper and/or media blasting equipment, already have spray equipment and free access to a suitable paint booth: you would still spend multiple tens of thousands of dollars to restore that vehicle and it is going to take many thousands of hours. It would be a Job-like undertaking of pure masochism.

There is an extremely nice V8 project for sale in the classifieds at an unbelievable price. Even if not your taste it would be a far more reasonable venture to do the metalwork to convert that one back to stock form. I would 1000% recommend relieving the seller of that vehicle, saving yourself the 10.5 hour trip, and having a vehicle you can drive in a year or two, not 10.

EDIT: I see you've come to the right conclusion. Good man. Get on that red V8!

The car I posted was only $1500, that was my main interest. But according to you guys that is what it's worth or even less. I'll find another!
VaccaRabite
That car would be a good parts car.
It would not be a good candidate for restoration.

Zach
toolguy
QUOTE(jmass76 @ Sep 14 2017, 09:49 AM) *

Thank you for all of your input. I've decided not to buy it.

You made the right decision and don't second guess yourself over it. . . You would have spent many times what the finished car would be worth to properly fix it. . and that was only the rust you could see. . . as previously mentioned, this is only a parts car at best.
Cairo94507
That was a smart call IMHO. There are still a lot of these out there in way better condition for the same or less money. You just need to be patient. That $1,500 investment would have cost you $15K in rust repair alone. And - welcome.png
burton73
There is a V8 conversion on the for sale area for $5,000 that you could finish up and drive or sell for a good profit. I bought my 1st V8 car for $3,500. In that shape with most of the parts and finished it up and sold it for $11,500. This was back in 1979.

The some of the parts on that car are more than the $5,000 and it is not all rusted out.
If you got a small amount of talent you can get it going.

Bob B

I have nothing to do with the V8 car
welcome.png
DM_2000
This car is too much money and too far away to be it worth it.

However:

Define "restore" ( to what level ? )

Can you use a MIG welder?

Do you have metal fab skills?

The car would be fixable as a structurally sound but rough daily driver. Sometimes having a car like that is preferable to a garage queen that one is afraid to drive.

Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 14 2017, 08:32 AM) *

Nope unsure.gif

Shortened to NO
mb911
I think it could be saved and I should know just look at my conversion thread.. That said not for a novice. My car required 90percent new floors, firewall, outer longs, hell whole and trunk so pretty much everything. Sold all the parts I was not going to use and the car was free. I have 1200 in sheet metal in it and hours of work but thats what i was looking for..
Rand
I'm glad the OP passed. If you have to ask, you should run.
That one's really bad.
Reminds me of Michelko's rustoration (or however he spelled his username)
Not for the faint of heart. Certainly only for the love of a ridiculously serious restorer who thinks finances are irrelevant.

mb911
agree.gif

Thats me as far as time is no object
wndsnd
Well so I have to admit my car looked as bad or probably worse. I finished the car in 2 1/2 years, then converted to a six in another two years. You will become a fabricator, maybe not a good one but you can do the job. Sometimes you just like a project and the satisfaction of doing it yourself with a little help from your friends.

There is something to be said for just buying and driving a better car. I agree it would be less expensive. But these are old cars. If you want to drive the crap out of them it is nice to know how everything went together so you can fix on your own. If you buy a nice car, most likely you will always be bringing it to a shop to keep it going and you will be beholden to others. And there are not many places you can trust anymore that know what they are doing or want to work on them.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 14 2017, 07:30 PM) *

I think it could be saved and I should know just look at my conversion thread.. That said not for a novice. My car required 90percent new floors, firewall, outer longs, hell whole and trunk so pretty much everything. Sold all the parts I was not going to use and the car was free. I have 1200 in sheet metal in it and hours of work but thats what i was looking for..

Next time you need some welding therapy, I'll send over one of my cars.

porschetub
Yes a bit of a shocker,not really worth 1.5K to start with,external rust hides heaps more of internal rust period then you are sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.