Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Craftsman Rachet Trade In
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joea9146
Went to Sears today to replace a Rachet wrench that was not working.
Behind the counter there was a rack of used wrenches. They matched it up and sent me
on my way. Its been a while since I have done this but in the past I thought
I got a new wrench. Does not reallly matter as long as they keep replacing it.
bondo
Those aren't just used, they're remanufactured. They put new guts in them, which is what always breaks. Makes sense. I often use my ratchet as a hammer when I'm too lazy to get the right tool.. so I have yet to get back a ratchet body that was in worse shape than the one I was turning in. smile.gif For a while they were handing out packets of new ratchet guts, but that was lame.. they aren't exactly easy to take apart.
Part Pricer

I took a look on the Craftsman site. The only thing I could find was this:

"* If any Craftsman hand tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return it for free repair or replacement."

It doesn't mention anything regarding replacing it with a new item.

bd1308
wierd...but I LOVE my 10mm rachet wrench that i got from Sears....it makes reaching that pesky dizzy bolt thing a breeze
charlesmac
I've had both happen. A few years ago they replaced one with an under the counter, i guess maybe refurb, then the last time, I grabbed a new one from the shelf. But your right, as long as they replace it.

Charles
gklinger
Twisted off my 1/2 drive breaker bar recently, standing on it trying to undo a rear hub nut . Took it in and got a brand new one. Built beefier too. I think you're due a new one, but I've been wrong before...
type47
i used to work in the tool section of sears and the standard practice is to rebuild the ratchet mechanism and since it was as good as new, use those for exchange. if no rebuilt ones were available, we exchanged for a new one but of course you know what is happening to sears and many other retail extablishments, not that tool exchange is the reason for that. i actually saw a customer put the handle of his hammer on the curb and break it with his foot and come in for exchange. measuring tapes same thing..... not a rant, no criticism stated or intended
URY914
Have your kid get a job at Sears and when you take your stuff back, he'll give you new ones. wink.gif Not the redo's

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
There was a time, maybe 20+ years ago, when the tool department counter guys repaired them right there in front of you. No more, which says A LOT about the sales people they have now........................... The Cap'n
balljoint
Works the same way for lifetime guarantees at Canadian Tire. I had a 10 year old torque wrench that gave up the ghost a couple of months ago. I just happened to bring it in to a location which didn't have any re-manufactured units in stock (hint hint), so they gave me a brand new (and much bigger) upgraded model. Very good deal for me, especially since I would have been happy to just get my own wrench repaired.
Aaron Cox
sears likes me....

when you dont have the big ass socket for the rear hubs, and you substitute your 30mm standard, and put it on an impact wrench....and it shatters biggrin.gif

find the pieces, and hand them to them.

they know EXACTLY what you did.....and they reluctantly give you a new one.

now- that being said. use impact sockets only smile.gif
davep
I had my 20 year old 1/2" drive ratchet with me a month ago while working at a friends place. I complained that it was slipping and needed to be repaired. My friend said no, and cleaned it up, replacing the grease inside. Works like new again.
mack914
Haven't bought a new tape measure in 30 years, it breaks, usually I step on the tape and bend it, sears alway replaces it without a word.
bd1308
people keep on stealing my craftsman shit dry.gif i'm missing like 2 different socket wrenches
guywan914
Joe last time I had a tool replaced by Sears it was my breaker bar trying to get my rear hub nuts off. Not quite the same as a ratchet but they gave me a brandy new one right out of the locked case. Sears has pissed me off lately though, went to get on orbital sander variable speed, case is locked where they keep them. The sales guy opens the case, pulls one out, says he has to take it to checkout . Checkout takes it off the floor scans it, rings it up, I pay and go home, never even really having seen what I bought. Get Home and it's not variable speed, back to Sears to try again. Why can't I take the box to checkout, do they think i'm going to hide it in my shorts?
Trekkor
You can return the tools at OSH as well. They are owned by Sears now, or something, and sell the complete line of Craftsman tools. wink.gif
I think they just give you new.
My torque wrench ate it, so they ordered me a new one.

BTW, *ALWAYS* buy broken Craftsman tools at garage sales and flea markets.

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 20 2005, 08:08 PM)
You can return the tools at OSH as well. They are owned by Sears now, or something, and sell the complete line of Craftsman tools. wink.gif
I think they just give you new.
My torque wrench ate it, so they ordered me a new one.

BTW, *ALWAYS* buy broken Craftsman tools at garage sales and flea markets.

KT

I took back a 3/8" drive rachet to OSH and they tried to deny my exchange due to the tool having a different part number...well, it's only an 8 year old part..mine had the metal switch, new one had a plastic switch, so normally they change part numbers with changes like tha..... a blind person could tell that for the most part the tool was identical except for the plastic switch and the part number....idjuts screwy.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 20 2005, 11:38 AM)
There was a time, maybe 20+ years ago, when the tool department counter guys repaired them right there in front of you. No more, which says A LOT about the sales people they have now........................... The Cap'n

Yeah, it says you can no longer support your family by working the tool counter at a Sears.
ejm
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 20 2005, 07:40 PM)
I took back a 3/8" drive rachet to OSH and they tried to deny my exchange due to the tool having a different part number...well, it's only an 8 year old part..mine had the metal switch, new one had a plastic switch, so normally they change part numbers with changes like tha..... a blind person could tell that for the most part the tool was identical except for the plastic switch and the part number....idjuts

I didn't realize they put the plastic switch into production. The company that made tools for Sears was in Springfield. One of the design engineers was a customer at work and would bring me new stuff for field testing. The plastic switch lasted about a week before it snapped off. I'd call him up and he would stop in and replace it, that lasted about month.
Still have a couple of broken ones idea.gif I'll have to visit Sears. wink.gif

BTW.. what is OSH confused24.gif
bondo
QUOTE (ejm @ May 21 2005, 05:46 AM)

BTW.. what is OSH confused24.gif

Orchard Supply Hardware

(their website is useless)
MattR
I broke two 10+ year old flat blade screwdrivers in the same place trying to get my rear brake rotor off. I took them into osh, and after they determined they were craftsman (they were OLD and USED), we went to the shelf and replaced them with brand new screwdrivers biggrin.gif
smrz914
I tried trading in a torque wrench at sears but they wouldn't take it back. I tried taking it back to a store in the SF Bay Area. It still works but the plastic lock collar doesn't do anything any more. Think OSH would replace it or another sears would?
scotty914
take the torque wrench in and say you are not happy with it... there ads say "if you are ever not happy return it for a replacement"
Gint
Sears torque wrenches aren't lifetime. Personal experience. I had sent my wife in to get a replacement. She managed to convince them without a receipt that it was less than 1 year old. wink.gif I got a replacement, but I don't expect to be able to do that again.
Mark Henry
I broke many a rachet in my day, I put a big old pipe on them all the time.
The guts are broke, not the handle, so I think a repaired unit is all you can/should expect.

Here Sears gives you the guts...takes me 2-3min. to put one in, but it's old hat for me.

Canadian Tire (our FLAPs and more) does put the kit in for you.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.