Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Acura CL3.2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
I know there's lots of 914 stuff going on right now, but if anyone has had any experience with one, would they care to weigh in with any opinions/ evaluations, etc?

Greatly appreciated. Oh, it's a 2002.

TIA,

Joe
914GT
I had a 2001 CL 3.2 that I bought new. I liked the car better then the 2005 TL I replaced it with and had no problems with it. My daughter bought the car from me and the transmission failed on her, but it was fully covered under warranty including labor. I think there was a recall on some of the CLs for the transmission so that may be something you want to look in to.
Porschef
Thanks for the reply, I did see on CarComplaints that the 2001's weakness was the tranny, I've not been able to determine if that was rectified the following year or not.

Joe
Chris914n6
More than a weakness.... should have been a recall. Pretty sure it's the same trans for the whole generation and a year or 2 into the next.
EdwardBlume
I had a 99 TL with the 3.2 and it was OK.

I had a 2004 RL 3.5. Drove it 220K+ and it was fantastic.
thelogo
Mazda protege will be a way better 1st car

Make sure its a stick shift

Performance, mileage , handling, cost etc

All favor the protege over any acura cl , tl
Porschef
Thanks. It's actually a TL, don't think that matters. I drove it last night, runs fine, no strange noises, everything works, tranny fluid looks normal, etc.

Could be ok... idea.gif
carr914
their Manual Trans are great, but the Autos are garbage
914GT
The motor and transmission mounts fail on the TL after 10 years or so. I replaced all of them earlier this year. Also the power steering pump leaks and needs the suction side fitting replaced including the high pressure hose to the steering rack. Otherwise my experience the TL has had no major issues and has never been back to the dealer for service. The platform is basically like a Honda Accord and reliability is good.
Cairo94507
Yeah, I had a 2001 CL Type S and trans failed at about 40K miles. Acura replaced it for free, but it was still a pain in the butt. Had 2 Hondas of the same vintage and they both lost their transmissions too. All of them bought new, well cared for and failed. To Honda's credit, it cost me nothing and they gave me rental cars in all 3 situations. Aside from that, I loved my CL.
914six
Hello,

i have a 2002 TLS.. replaced the Trans 2 times with a little over 100
thousand miles, power steering , motor mounts , lots of front brake
rotors etc.. just my experience... both trans under warranty..the rest
on my own dime.. You need to check trans fluid .... if not pink ...run
away! good luck!

Porschef
Thanks to all again. I went to look at it again this morning, and there's a section of the tranny that looks significantly newer than the rest od it. Kinda like an intermediate section... confused24.gif

Fluid is pink. Runs fine, seems to need nothing. Asking 2700. idea.gif

Chris914n6
The owner paid to fix it, so that's a good sign the rest of the car was taken care of.
Not a huge investment, which is good for new drivers.
Down side is will she know if the trans starts to go and tell you? Is the rest of the car nice enough that you would replace the trans before the next significant life event?
ConeDodger
Daughter just traded in a 2001 CS. Tranny twice and finally and ironically since I own a smog shop, it wouldn't pass smog. I couldn't help her as she was directed to a Star center. Great car though, good mileage. Looked like new. If I'd known she was going to do it, I'd have bought it to use as a road-dog. I put on a lot of miles.
She says she got $3000 for it. Got a 2016 Subaru Forester SUV.
injunmort
my .02 cents, bmw. auto under 200k, manual under 200k with decent throw on clutch, but i am biased. ask andy about his 200k plus z3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.