Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maybe a 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbonet
Car has the vin of a 6 but what things should I be looking for to make sure it actually is. (Trying to make sure it's not a VIN swap)
rick 918-S
Chassis number in the rear trunk is on tbe floor centered by the latch support. No engine cross bar mounts welded to the chassis. Factory center engine mount on the lower bulkhead/firewall. Obviously dash mounted key switch.
mepstein
There is a thread with all the differences. I think it was started by sir Andy. Tons of small details.
Krieger
Look underneath to see if there is the 6 engine mount on the firewall. It is dead center where the front of the engine is.
turbonet
Thanks guys. Going back today to have another look
mb911
And if you pass on it let someone here know about it to see if they could save it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2017, 04:14 AM) *
There is a thread with all the differences. I think it was started by sir Andy. Tons of small details.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74301
bye1.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 17 2017, 05:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2017, 04:14 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74301
bye1.gif

Interesting reading...surprising how many small but important differences,lets get the OP inspired to get some pics up of this car eh popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif ,I really hope its not just a vin plate swap stromberg.gif.
burton73
A picture of firewall center engine mount on my factory 6.

Bob BClick to view attachment
turbonet
I was supposed to go back today but didn't get a chance. I will take some pics when I get back to it. It's pretty rough. Not like the orange one on eBay rough but pretty rough.
turbonet
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but the guy has disappeared on me. Pressed for details and he went squirrelly. Unfortunately I only have a partial VIN which is useless

Car looked to be originally orange. Funny how it resembles situation with the orange one on eBay.

If you haven't seen it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263207650690

Is it possible for someone to do such a good job on a VIN swap that I could never tell?

Has me a bit gun shy.

mb911
QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 18 2017, 01:20 PM) *

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but the guy has disappeared on me. Pressed for details and he went squirrelly. Unfortunately I only have a partial VIN which is useless

Car looked to be originally orange. Funny how it resembles situation with the orange one on eBay.

If you haven't seen it

Is it possible for someone to do such a good job on a VIN swap that I could never tell?

Has me a bit gun shy.

Yes I think it could be done..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2017, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 18 2017, 01:20 PM) *

If you haven't seen it

Has me a bit gun shy.

Yes I think it could be done..

Yes but it would take a very knowledgeable person to fool the 914world crew.
It would end up looking restored (new paint to cover the moved over vin, motor mounts, etc ) and it would be hard to account for the lack of pics that if present, would give the swap away.
turbonet
Not what I wanted to hear. Lol. I guess being able to trace a cars history becomes really important.
DM_2000
Detecting a cut and move VIN swap requires zero 914 knowledge beyond where the factory VIN's are stamped.

If one X rays the fender stamping it will be apparent a new one has been welded in. Also a careful inspection of the front inner fender to see if it has been replaced but the actual fender is as factory would uncover this.

I'd also expect a VIN buff and restamp to show up in an X ray also.

See this for a VIN cut swap.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/06/12/au.../comment-page-1

Here is an interesting wrinkle. Dynacorn makes complete replacement bodies:

Welcome to DynacornBodies.com your source your replacement classic body shells restoring classic cars such as 1967 to 1969 Camaro, 1965 to 1970 Mustang, 1967 to 1969 Firebird, 1970 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger and even a 1947 to 1954 Chevy Truck!, .

What would a car built from a new shell be considered? From what I recall, Porsche offered a reshell program for severely crashed cars, what would one of those be considered?

I value cars / machines on what they are not if they came from the factory a certain way. To me a 2.0 LE is just some paint and options that were available on any other car.
gms
I am inclined to believe that it is a -6 because of the dash, oil tank and engine but until you see he VIN you won't know. That being said I do not see a panel that could be use without repair. You might get lucky and save the engine but the carbs are probably trashed.

As a rule I only buy projects that can be parted out for more than the purchase price, this car will not!
turbonet
I've seen the car. It's not the eBay one. That one I think is beyond help unfortunately.

The one I saw was painted blue but I could see what looked like original paint up under the dash. No matter the guy isn't returning my calls and although I know where is I'm not driving all the way there without knowing it's available to be seen.

The search continues. For now I have to happy with my '73 2l
DM_2000
QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 18 2017, 10:19 PM) *

I've seen the car. It's not the eBay one. That one I think is beyond help unfortunately.

The one I saw was painted blue but I could see what looked like original paint up under the dash. No matter the guy isn't returning my calls and although I know where is I'm not driving all the way there without knowing it's available to be seen.

The search continues. For now I have to happy with my '73 2l

Up under the dash as in the front fire wall or back of actual dash?

I've seen the back of dashes painted random colors that don't match the cars color..
Cairo94507
Exactly. The dash itself is no guarantee of that being the body color when it left the factory.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 19 2017, 09:36 PM) *

Exactly. The dash itself is no guarantee of that being the body color when it left the factory.

agree.gif we looked at a couple cars at Octeenerfest and they all had different color sub dashes. Just like most of the 914’s I’ve purchased. In fact, it’s pretty much the norm for them to differ.
turbonet
No the colour was just above the pedals. seems they got a bit lazy on the repaint
Unobtanium-inc
The orange one is one my cousin would describe as "rougher than a 3rd night in jail."
porschetub
Appears someone bought it,engine gearbox ,vin plate and some clever welding on a good period correct tub ,dashboard swap and you have a reborn "6 '',even had original relay board....I hate to say this but it could be done and its happened before as many who are not on here would buy a reborn car without checking....just saying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.