Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical installation questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I'm now in a position to test the electricals on my car. It came with many things missing & broken.

I'm running twin carbs so there'll be no injection specific issues with electrics.

To start I have the following;

Wiring up the reverse light switch. I have used separate bullet connectors (part of the missing category) but I don't know if there is a right/wrong way to insert them. For example, is there a way to look on the switch to see which is live/earth?

There are 2 gauges where the lights don't illuminate. The rev counter and the multi gauge. The Speedo lights up fine. Bulbs and sockets are all new.

When I turn the ignition on the passenger side headlight opens up halfway, does not illuminate until I pull the light switch and does not raise or lower from this position.

Finally (for now) I only have one movement on the wiper switch. This came with the ignition cowl as a once piece lot.

I'll post some pictures shortly.
DM_2000
QUOTE(JFG @ Sep 16 2017, 06:09 AM) *

I'm now in a position to test the electricals on my car. It came with many things missing & broken.

I'm running twin carbs so there'll be no injection specific issues with electrics.

To start I have the following;

Wiring up the reverse light switch. I have used separate bullet connectors (part of the missing category) but I don't know if there is a right/wrong way to insert them. For example, is there a way to look on the switch to see which is live/earth?

This is a isolated switch so none of the pins are grounded to the trans, the wires can go on either way.

There are 2 gauges where the lights don't illuminate. The rev counter and the multi gauge. The Speedo lights up fine. Bulbs and sockets are all new.

Pretty much follow wires to make sure they are attached / swap bulbs into positions that work, make sure the socket has a ground..

When I turn the ignition on the passenger side headlight opens up halfway, does not illuminate until I pull the light switch and does not raise or lower from this position.

The bolt on lever on the headlight motor might be 180 out. Past that I haven't worked on that system in a long time.

Finally (for now) I only have one movement on the wiper switch. This came with the ignition cowl as a once piece lot.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

One movement as in switch lever only moves one position or wiper blades only make one pass then stop?
JFG
Thanks for the above.

The wiper switch only moves up one click. As opposed to up one,slow speed. Up twice , quick speed. I have to buy a new wiper relay to test the motor beyond that.
JFG
Looks like i need to pull the wiper motor to test, no relay in the circuit!

With a bit of a potch the brake pedal switch is fitted and working.

The pictures below are of wires that i have "spare" any help with these. They're all up in the centre dash area.

Click to view attachment

The picture below has the following;
Black/blue stripe 11.04v only when main lights are on. no power all other times
Grey/red stripe 0.22v only when main lights are on. No power all other times.
Brown earth.

Could it be a fog light switch wiring?

Click to view attachment

Just the thin red & yellow in this pic.
Red 12.02v switched live
Yellow/ red stripe no power.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
I can't really see all of the wire colors, but I can see a few:

Red/white (red with a white stripe) -- switched power, goes from the fuse box and the relays on top of the fuse panel to a lot of things in the car.
Solid brown -- ground. Always ground.
Black/blue -- instrument illumination. Hot when the headlights or parking lights are on.
Yellow/red, thin -- wire for the (optional) intermittent wiper setup.
White/green -- parking light indicator wire, goes from the headlight switch to the speedo (I think?).

Not sure if the black wire in your last pic has a stripe on it or not. If not, it would be constant power, and either run to the clock in the (optional) center console, or to the cockpit light in the backpad. If it has a stripe, its function would depend on the color of stripe.

--DD
JFG
Click to view attachment

Am i correct in thinking the yellow wire goes onto the spade connector on the top position?
DM_2000
Not having the starer in front of me, the lower spade ( with the stud / nut ) should be cranking.

If you hook it to the wrong terminal, nothing will happen when the key is turned and no damage will occur. The upper spades are for a ignition coil ballast resistor bypass. This feeds power direct to the coil only when cranking. From what I recall 914 does not use this for ignition but there is a wire leading to the cold start injector system on D jet 914.

It would be a very good idea to install a " hot start relay " on the system , it takes the high amp load off the ignition switch giving more reliable cranking.
JFG
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=230879&hl=

Looking at the diagram in post no.4 it shows yellow on top??
Dave_Darling
All of those spades are connected together, so you should be able to hook the wire to any of them.

Double-check that there is zero resistance between the various spades, though, in case I'm wrong... biggrin.gif

--DD
JFG
I've updated post above with the wiring pictures with wiring colours and power readings.

I reset the position of the headlight motor linkage but now the light will not rise unless i manually wind it up. However it does close properly when switched off.
JFG
I started the engine for the first time today biggrin.gif seems ok but need to bring the timing in when I get the strobe and pull the plugs to check the mixture.

When it was running I checked the charge across the battery. It read 13.35v. is this about right? I fitted a new alternator 55amp iirc. The relay board was bought used and unknown condition with a regulator attached.

Lastly, I've tried the passenger headlight again and although everything is now lined up correctly it will not raise electronically. It will lower electronically. When I first fitted it I got the fittings in the wrong place and the light would lift halfway.

Any ideas? I've swapped the relays and it makes no difference.
DM_2000
13.3 is on the lower end of scale but still OK, especially if the battery is discharged and the alternator is working to recharge.

What starter terminal did you use for the yellow trigger wire?

JFG
After much looking at images of built up motors i went with the top spade on the starter motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.