Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing front Upper Strut Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
So, how does one remove and then reinstall the rubber bushing from the supporting mount? I have a press, but I'm scratching my head about how best to tackle this. Can't seem to find any relevant threads on this topic...

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Well, my teenage daughter figured out that the new bushings split apart. So that's at least a clue. But need to figger' out best way to get old out.
BeatNavy
Press. Made short work out of the original bushing. Pressed down from the top and it eventually shot out of there. The original bushing is one solid piece of rubber.

Geez, where is everybody. Must be an event going on somewhere... confused24.gif
mlindner
Good morning BeatNavy, Yup your press did the job....I cut the top rubber off then popped it out. And you daughter is correct, new ones come in two parts. Congrats. Best, Mark
Mikey914
Any pics?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 12 2017, 01:51 AM) *

Any pics?

Why yes, I'm glad you asked. Allow me to share: Arrived in package from some very reputable vendor.
Click to view attachment

Comparison of old and new. The new one does not have the cup for (or formed from) the strut lock washer:
Click to view attachment

After pressing out the old, the new ones were easily installed as they are actually two pieces and fit very nicely. A press helps, but removal and installation could probably be done with a vice.
After cleaning up the mounts a bit, they look like so:
Click to view attachment

These came off my project car. I have not installed yet on my daily driver, as I am pretty sure the suspension geometry is going to change as a result of installing these.
Last weekend I installed turbo tie rods, and so an alignment is in order anyway. May be a good time to road test these then. I did fit them over my old struts, and they do fit like a glove beer.gif
MikeM
Hi...are those from 914 Rubber?
I don't see them on the website.
Thanks.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(MikeM @ Oct 12 2017, 10:45 AM) *

Hi...are those from 914 Rubber?
I don't see them on the website.
Thanks.

I believe these are in pre-production. The yellow ones you see here are a prototype, but they will be black.

Before I let cat out of proverbial bag any further or say something that's not correct, I'll defer to Mark when he has a chance.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes these are our pre production ones. Matt fitted on his car, but because they were yellow didn't leave on. These are polygraphite and the only material i could get to do a trial run quickly was yellow. Decided to sent the other set out to solicit some response. And double check part.
These are a part that many people need and we will be able to provide to the market at a very reasonable price. Most cars do need these, but they can be a pain to replace, until now.
Mikey914
As far as design, we basically split the bushing and made a very tight tolerance for between the parts. It will function as one once assembled.

The polygraphite was another way for us to up the density of the part while maintaining the qualities desired form the rubber. These should produce a notable improvement over the old ones.
MikeM
OK thanks!! I'll stand by until they are ready to go...
HalfMoon
I'm ready to buy em!
Please post a note when they are ready for shipment?
David
HalfMoon
Oh, and for those who don't have a press (and I'm going Dr. Evil here), burn em out?
mepstein
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 13 2017, 09:59 AM) *

Oh, and for those who don't have a press (and I'm going Dr. Evil here), burn em out?

Go to someone who has one. Takes 2 minutes.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 13 2017, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 13 2017, 09:59 AM) *

Go to someone who has one. Takes 2 minutes.

A vice MIGHT work, but you'd probably need a cheater bar. With the press it was out PDQ and with some velocity, too.

Mark, I actually like the yellow. Kind of makes the suspension, you know, "pop." smile.gif
Mikey914
Large bench vide and a socket can work, if you are really ghetto you can drill the rubber out around the center sleeve and tap it through with a hammer, it will pop out....not that I ever had to do it once this way .... sunglasses.gif
somd914
Torch does the trick, just make sure you do it when your neighbors are out back grilling - burned rubber always trumps a grilling steak biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 17 2017, 08:45 AM) *

So, how does one remove and then reinstall the rubber bushing from the supporting mount? I have a press, but I'm scratching my head about how best to tackle this. Can't seem to find any relevant threads on this topic...

Click to view attachment

Another way of getting them out is using soap and a big screw driver. The screw driver is pushed in between the rubber and the metal and used to lever the rubber out. The press is a much better idea, and for those without a press the assembly will fit in a vise in lieu of the press.
mepstein
I’m ready to buy the kit. Front and back. biggrin.gif
Actually will need a couple kits. Thanks!
jmitro
I bought the polygraphite upper strut mounts from another vendor last week before I knew 914 rubber was offering them.

Inner half seems to seat completely; outer (top) half doesn't completely seat up against the steel cup. I wonder if it's supposed to be this way? There is about 3-4mm of space between the mount and the steel cup.

are you getting complete seating of this mount from 914 rubber?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 15 2017, 10:21 AM) *

I bought the polygraphite upper strut mounts from another vendor last week before I knew 914 rubber was offering them.

Inner half seems to seat completely; outer (top) half doesn't completely seat up against the steel cup. I wonder if it's supposed to be this way? There is about 3-4mm of space between the mount and the steel cup.

are you getting complete seating of this mount from 914 rubber?

Here's a pic of it on edge where you can see the top lip. It's seated on there nicely:

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
We made ours with the idea that you could put it together in the assembly and then tighten it completely down into place taking up the Gap in between the two. It's a much easier installation than trying to force pretty hard polite graphite material in through a narrow diameter. The only compromise we could make the other direction was by making the material softer which we did not want to do.
jmitro
Thanks, that's what I thought it should like look.
Here's mine. I guess I'll have to disassemble and try again
Mikey914
The good news is you could always take a little bit off with sandpaper to make it seed in there correctly. Doesn't look like it's too far off but enough that it's standing up.
mb911
Whats the price point on these? They look great..
Mikey914
The GB will be $28 a set reg price $42 a set. I'll start up a GB thread shortly, just wanted to get the test fit in the car and some feedback. We have tested these off the car and they have slightly less deflection that what the stock rubber had, but was hoping to get some feedback on feel in the car. It should tighten things up.

We also have a few other items that we are putting together that may go with these to help your ride. Hoping to have them ready about the same time.
BeatNavy
Ok, Mark, perhaps a day late and a dollar short, but we have pics on a car as well as a road test! In addition to the previous pictures, I offer the following abbreviated installation tutorial:

First, I got the car jacked up and removed the wheel. At the top of the strut, bend back the fold on the safety washer and then loosen the top strut nut (in my case, with a 22 mm socket). Here is the old strut mount and bushing on car.

Click to view attachment

Once I removed the nut I pulled the strut down to compress it and then carefully swung the whole assembly into the wheel well. Removal of the strut mount is pretty easy. It requires a #8 hex for the 3 mounting bolts. The biggest annoyance is that, on the passenger side you need to unbolt two bolts and move the fuel expansion tank out of the way to get access to the third hex bolt. (This may not be true for later cars.) Also (and this is important), before you remove the bolts take a fine marker and outline where the plates are located. This way you shouldn't mess up your caster or camber (unless you were planning on doing a full alignment anyway). Pic below is with the plates outlined:

Click to view attachment

At this point, if you don't have an extra set of strut mounts from a project car like I did, you'd use a press or vice to remove the old bushings and install the new ones. Sorry, no pics of that process. I did this a couple of weeks ago. Remounting is easy peasy, although it may take slide fiddling to get the plates lined back up with your marks. It would be a good idea to use new schnorr washers under the hex bolts.

Click to view attachment

And here is a pic from underneath:

Click to view attachment

Getting the strut back up through the mount can be a slight challenge. I used a floor jack to help push up. It's a good idea to make sure the strut top is aligned properly with the hold. Once you do get the top through the bushing, put the washer(s) on, tighten to spec, and bend up the edge of the washer.

All done passenger's side:

Click to view attachment

and driver's side (yes, I probably need a new washer):

Click to view attachment

After taking it out for a short test drive, I can give these a big thumbs up smilie_pokal.gif I replaced the struts and ball joints two weeks ago, and put turbo tie rods on last week, but after putting these on, the car handles better than ever.

theer
@Mikey914

Did these ever make it to production? I checked your website and didn't seem them.

Thanks,
Tom
Mikey914
They are being slightly redesigned. I will have them ready to ship in about 2 weeks.
SO yes.
bdstone914
@jmitro

Most companies made these to fit 911 mounts. They are different even tho they have the same part number.
Some are not dished on the top to contour to the big washer.
Elephant Racing corrected theirs.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 10 2020, 11:22 AM) *

They are being slightly redesigned. I will have them ready to ship in about 2 weeks.
SO yes.

Is there an exchange program for parts that needed a redesign? Front strut bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, etc.
@Mkey914
Mikey914
Well the only part we are redesigning is the top section on the strut tower bushing.

We do continue to make improvements to parts. Any unused parts you have we will take back.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.