Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay 914 in my area!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
I know this should probably go in the classifieds but there is only 2 hour left and I'm going crazy.

What do you think is it worth the money???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

I'm on full on panic!!!
merrill
It looks good from pics, will the seller let you inspect it? confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
Don't rush it... find a car you have time to look at before buying, you can post pics(we can tell your what pics to take) and we can help you look at it.. trust me, my first teener: I paid too much for and it was un-savable(by me)... it will be a bad experience if you rush it... go drink a beer!! beer3.gif smile.gif
Part Pricer
1974 Porsche 914 Targa.. Extremely strong 1.8 Liter fuel injected Engine...Runs Great.. I routinely drive this car on 2-3 hour long distance trips.. No Problems.Runs great... I mean really great ! runs like they did back when they were new. You can buy this car and enjoy driving it right away all this coming Summer!. There is nothing that needs to be repaired or replaced. Current Pennsylvania Inspection and Emissions. Shifts well... suspension is slapped together with Konis and new stock springs...Brakes are excellent condition... No sponginess to brake pedal, freshly turned rotors all the way around no leaks... no squeaks. New wheel bearings all 4 corners.. No problems runs quiet Rack and Pinion is nice and Tight. Interior is the two-tone Black with Cocoa Brown Leather (Vinyl) Near Perfect Condition... Previous owner disconnected the heating sytem rather than replace heat exchangers and Air Box Flapper Valves..Muffler is stock and is in new condition... Original Factory Radio Present in car... no speaker holes in doors or anything like that. All Instruments work... Odometer function on speedometer is broken. All lights work including the low fuel light on the gas guage. All lock cylinders are original and keyed alike.. trunk locks, door locks work and rear trunk lock works. Carpet is original Cocoa Brownish Red.... Has some Stains..looks nice.. could use a professional cleaning. Battery box is in great shape... There is NO MAJOR RUST ON THIS CAR...Floor pan and sills are corrosion free. Rear Suspension pick-ups are solid. Just some bubbling shown on photos below targa roll bar vinyl and the spot on passengers lower fender right behind the front wheel. Will cooperate with buyer on Shipping/Transport will deliver within 100 miles.

If it is in your price range, buy it. Don't send a deposit, just go to pick it up. The two highighted sections in the seller's listing would give you an out if the car is not what it is advertised to be.

ninefourteener
Doesn't look too bad..... everything looks relatively clean.

Still seems a little pricey thugh..... but I can understand that it being so close would save you shipping costs.

What WORRIES me is that there are no engine and hellhole pics.

Hmmm
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ninefourteener @ May 20 2005, 02:40 PM)
What WORRIES me is that there are no engine and hellhole pics.

agree.gif these 2 areas+ the suspension (trailing arm) under the battery need to be CAREFULLY looked over...
merrill
I agree with the take your time responses. Last August I sold my 1.7 with my sights on a 2.0 that was 20 miles away. The 2.0 sold 2 days before mine did and the owner didn't call me, and no I didn't put up a deposit headbang.gif I just kept looking and in March, drove my new one home some 900+/- miles. You can find a good car for under $4K. You just have to be patient.
ninefourteener
QUOTE (merrill @ May 20 2005, 12:21 PM)
You can find a good car for under $4K. You just have to be patient.

Agreed.

If you'd caught this at the BEGINNING of the auction, you could have gone and taken a peek at it first... or even brought someone else with you.

But although this one looks pretty clean.... you can be assured that if there's visible rust, there's a LOT MORE non-visible rust that you'll find later.

There's no pictures of the engine, none of the battery, the hellhole, the suspension, etc. All you have is the guy's word..... a faceless eBayer.

I'd wait....... Not that this car doesn't look pretty nice.... but I'd still wait.
Jaiden
Thanks for the input guys!

I guess I shall go home today and have a nice stiff drink and just let this teener go.

If it is meant to be then it will be. So I guess this isn't meant to be.

I'll tell you this. Searching for a teener is really quite a challenge. Hey but they say that the search is half of the fun!!!

One day I will have my teener!!! Right now my Jack stands will just have to lonely for another night!
aircooledboy
Good decision. smilie_pokal.gif
The rust that he does show is at least cause for caution. Might be a nice car, but I would assume there is much more rust until I saw otherwise for myself. beerchug.gif
URY914
I'd buy it. You could always flip it to someone else if there is a problem. To have one so close to you is rare.
Jaiden
15 minutes left your killing me!!!!!

I still think I'm going to wait. But if someone else from the board gets it your going to scream!!!!!!!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Jaiden @ May 20 2005, 04:05 PM)
15 minutes left your killing me!!!!!

I still think I'm going to wait. But if someone else from the board gets it your going to scream!!!!!!!

lol2.gif it's ultimately your call... I'm leery of not getting to look at it first though... the cancer is there, you have no idea on how deep it is though... but I do understand... your best options right now probably include shipping a car from the west... and that's not cheap... but fixing all the rust on an east car isn't cheap either... or easy
Spoke
"Previous owner disconnected the heating sytem rather than replace heat exchangers and Air Box Flapper Valves"

I wonder if these items needed replaced because of rust? The rust on the body needs immediate care and shows that this baby does have some rust. I live only minutes from Bethlehem and have never seen this one or any other 914 in this area. It would be interesting to have a good look underneath this car and in the hell hole.

Spoke
joeav8tor
DONT RUSH! take your time, from reading your last post, you are new to the 914...the right car at the right price will come along for you...if you rush , you could be stuck with a pile of shit....longs fiberglassed over, same with the hell hole. members on this site are great....they will help you find a car, and do a pre purchase inspection for you...you are probably better off getting a car from the west coast, or texas that is relatively rust free...you will have to pay to have it shipped, but rust repair will be more expensive in the long run....S L O W D O W N, (IT IS NOT EASY) you will find what you are looking for!
good luck flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
Joe
Gint
agree.gif

You made the right choice. I can tell you right now that all of those rust bubble areas are HOLES just waiting to be unleashed with a little sanding. And if it has that much visible rust, there is more lurking where the cameraman feared to tread.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.