Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who would buy something like this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Would anyone in their right mind buy something like this?
I think no.
So why does a dealer like this consistently and relentlessly post for sale ads like this.
Obviously someone must be buying these kinds of cars.
But who?
That's my question.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Porsche-914-/...CU3&vxp=mtr
TheCabinetmaker
Or this one? A real six?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1970-Porsche-914-/26...6.c100408.m2460
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 17 2017, 08:29 PM) *

Don't show me those
amfab
Since they are not far from me I went by Beverly Hills Car club when I was looking for a car. They have a lot of very rough cars there. They are nice enough, but in my opinion, overpriced for what they are selling (Im being polite)
cal44
Beverly Hills Car Club........
We call em' the Beverly Hillbilly's Car Club
Those knuckle heads won't sell anything if it isn't inundated with rust.
wndsnd
The threshold plate is on the inner long! confused24.gif
burton73
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 17 2017, 04:15 PM) *

Would anyone in their right mind buy something like this?
I think no.
So why does a dealer like this consistently and relentlessly post for sale ads like this.
Obviously someone must be buying these kinds of cars.
But who?
That's my question.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Porsche-914-/...CU3&vxp=mtr

"solid wheels. Tremendous potential"
914_7T3
agree.gif

At least there is full disclosure :

"Comes equipped with a manual transmission and with solid wheels." [i][b]

What more could you ask for?

lol-2.gif
Dave_Darling
Yeah, the Beverly Hills guys are pretty infamous. Google up the 912 they had for sale a little while back. There was almost enough metal that you could see it had once been a 911 or 912, but not only was it nothing but rust, but it had been hit hard and bent badly and at least a third of it was missing.

The 914 is positively pristine by comparison. Heck, most of it is there! Sort of.

I'm amused by the Six ad stating "Don't ask me what the VIN is, I'm only telling someone if they buy it." The seller knows how that is going to be "restored"--with a VIN swap.

--DD
lonewolfe
$3950 for that car? Nuts! You can see the car sagging in the mid longs just sitting there!
gandalf_025
Interesting how the seller of the 6 won't post the VIN #..

Bet the numbers show up in a real nice car in a few years...
EdwardBlume
"great potential" ?

pain30.gif pain30.gif pain30.gif
rhodyguy
SOP for BHCC.
arne
I've been told by people who live near BHCC that the stuff they advertise is the leftover dregs. They scour the country looking for any car they can buy on the cheap. Some are the piles of rust you see on eBay and Samba. Some are actually decent projects, and the decent ones are snapped up almost as they roll off the trucks. Only people that are physically present as the cars arrive ever see the better cars. The rest of us only see these sad cases. Of course, those better cars aren't cheap either...

Or so I have been told.
Larmo63
It's not that bad, except for the glaring white overspray on the front bumper. You would think they would try to remove that, as it is so obvious.

They should be called BHDSRC........

(Beverly Hills Dog Shit Removal Company)
Cairo94507
Someone probably paid them to haul that POS off their property and now they want $4K for it.....at least they posted a bunch of photos to show it is an absolute POS. I don't believe I have ever seen a car they are trying to sell that is not in that condition. Seems like they only sell garbage.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(arne @ Sep 18 2017, 07:24 AM) *

I've been told by people who live near BHCC that the stuff they advertise is the leftover dregs. They scour the country looking for any car they can buy on the cheap. Some are the piles of rust you see on eBay and Samba. Some are actually decent projects, and the decent ones are snapped up almost as they roll off the trucks. Only people that are physically present as the cars arrive ever see the better cars. The rest of us only see these sad cases. Of course, those better cars aren't cheap either...

Or so I have been told.

This is the true story...otherwise they wouldn't be in business this long. They always show up at the Pomona Swap with a couple of display cars and they are quite nice high end restorations.
For the BH people who want to blow some bucks on getting some attention; what other dealer would you go to?
Mark Henry
at least they disclose all the rust issues biggrin.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Sep 18 2017, 07:28 AM) *

Interesting how the seller of the 6 won't post the VIN #..

Bet the numbers show up in a real nice car in a few years...

yup, perfect reason to report the ad to eBay. He knows it'll be used fraudulently.
JawjaPorsche
Doors not closed for a reason. Damn thing fixing to fold up! dry.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 19 2017, 03:03 AM) *

Someone probably paid them to haul that POS off their property and now they want $4K for it.....at least they posted a bunch of photos to show it is an absolute POS. I don't believe I have ever seen a car they are trying to sell that is not in that condition. Seems like they only sell garbage.

agree.gif funny thing is that they have advertised better 914's for less that that in the past,how do they come up with their pricing...that's a car you pick up for free.
JFG
I managed to see through the junk when I was on my hunt to buy one plus I wasn't impressed with their communications.

However I did go see one in Belgium that the seller made look much better in the pictures. It was rotten across the entire rear floor and was folded to the point the doors were shut solid. A bit of a unique spin on the description too. Nice trip to Belgium though.
ConeDodger
Cannabis is legal in California. blink.gif
rhodyguy
So is alcohol.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 18 2017, 04:49 PM) *

So is alcohol.

Might be a combination of both in this case! beer.gif smoke.gif
DM_2000
If someone went to see the car, they would be able to see the VIN.

At least in the state I'm in, every used car on a dealers lot needs to have a window sticker with: Warranty yes / no , Year , Make , Model, VIN.

When a dealer buys a car, the title is still in the previous owners name but the dealer must send a form to the state listing any cars the are holding with "open" titles. If they are really brokering the car for someone else, they would not be required to do this.

I wonder if there are any CA laws requiring the dealer to list the VIN / make a report to the state?

Also, I posted the below in another thread.

Detecting a cut and move VIN swap requires zero 914 knowledge beyond where the factory VIN's are stamped.

If one X rays the fender stamping it will be apparent a new one has been welded in. Also a careful inspection of the front inner fender to see if it has been replaced but the actual fender is as factory would uncover this.

I'd also expect a VIN buff and restamp to show up in an X ray also.

See this for a VIN cut swap.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/06/12/au.../comment-page-1

Here is an interesting wrinkle. Dynacorn makes complete replacement bodies:

Welcome to DynacornBodies.com your source your replacement classic body shells restoring classic cars such as 1967 to 1969 Camaro, 1965 to 1970 Mustang, 1967 to 1969 Firebird, 1970 Chevelle, 1970 Challenger and even a 1947 to 1954 Chevy Truck!, .

What would a car built from a new shell be considered? From what I recall, Porsche offered a reshell program for severely crashed cars, what would one of those be considered?

I value cars / machines on what they are not if they came from the factory a certain way. To me a 2.0 LE is just some paint and options that were available on any other car.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 17 2017, 10:23 PM) *
I'm amused by the Six ad stating "Don't ask me what the VIN is, I'm only telling someone if they buy it." The seller knows how that is going to be "restored"--with a VIN swap.

agree.gif
whitetwinturbo
The orange Ebay one had two bidders and SOLD blink.gif
jfort
A junk yard in the next county over has 4-5 that aren't too much worse than the OP if anyone is interested -- and foolhardy.
23e Heure
The only thing of value is the interior.
Steering wheel, silver dot dials, seats, seat pad, ash tray... no mirror bye1.gif

I thought these 2 snaps sum this car up best:

IPB Image

IPB Image
draganc
not sticking up for bhcc and yes that car is a POS. however, their comment (Great project for full restoration) and the pictures a very clear.

to answer the OP question: not me. but there is a lid for almost every pod. I guess it's a free market after all.....
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Sep 24 2017, 12:04 PM) *

The only thing of value is the interior.
Steering wheel, silver dot dials, seats, seat pad, ash tray... no mirror bye1.gif

I thought these 2 snaps sum this car up best:

IPB Image

IPB Image

The spider is dead
DM_2000
No, it is merely resting. . .
BillC
QUOTE(DM_2000 @ Sep 27 2017, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 27 2017, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Sep 24 2017, 12:04 PM) *

IPB Image

The spider is dead

No, it is merely resting. . .

It is pining for the fjords.
krazykonrad
If it were a pre-A coupe, people would be falling all over themselves to get it. That time is coming for 914s... maybe not soon, but it's coming.
Rocky
"solid Wheels" with only 2 lug nuts per.
Mike Fitton
I thought Ebay required the vin # to be listed?
Justinp71

Here is another good one-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Porsche-914-/...Gus&vxp=mtr

"SUPER RARE 1973 PORSCHE 914 WITH 916 WIDEBODY ON IT..WAS TOLD IT WAS DONE RIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY"

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
dcecc1968
You actually get two spiders for the price of one... what a deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.