Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This addiction hit me hard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Since buying my first 914 it has only been 1 month and 11 days and I already bought another.

Now, this second one is no more than a parts car, but I love it all the same biggrin.gif

dheinz(Eddie) and I had a fun time up in PA today winching it onto the uhaul trailer using chains and ratchet straps to keep the winch from moving. He laughed and said we should be taking pics and putting it up here for all you to see. Sorry I didn't take any. By the time we got it up on the trailer the passenger rear tire had already lost all its air hahaha. I jabbed at him and said "You told me all 4 tires would hold air for a few hours" still it was good fun meeting another teener. Even more fun bringing it to its new home.

Thanks Eddie!

IPB Image
Mikey914
If the metal is in reasonable shape, may want to just borrow parts, but a second future project.
Rand
I get the addiction. I have it too. But stop buying junk. You need every penny to put into where it makes sense. Your best car needs your best judgement, not a lame cousin that leeches from your goal.
burton73
Rand,

Very well put!

Bob B
porschetub
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 20 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Since buying my first 914 it has only been 1 month and 11 days and I already bought another.

Now, this second one is no more than a parts car, but I love it all the same biggrin.gif

dheinz(Eddie) and I had a fun time up in PA today winching it onto the uhaul trailer using chains and ratchet straps to keep the winch from moving. He laughed and said we should be taking pics and putting it up here for all you to see. Sorry I didn't take any. By the time we got it up on the trailer the passenger rear tire had already lost all its air hahaha. I jabbed at him and said "You told me all 4 tires would hold air for a few hours" still it was good fun meeting another teener. Even more fun bringing it to its new home.

Thanks Eddie!

IPB Image

Yep that one is one rough car,the earth has tried to recover it,hope you get some good parts from it,good luck beer.gif .
Larmo63
That thing is sagging toward burial. Hurry up, it may not be there in the morning.
r_towle
2 is the starter set.
Once you cut them up weld them up, leave them for dead, sell them, miss 914 and buy your third, then you can claim addiction
nditiz1
@Rand

I realize what you are saying, but for $300, I either bought a spare set of wheels if I ever want to accessorize, a rear window with defroster (my 73 currently doesn't have that option), spare original glass, extra latches for top, spare door internals, spare tranny, a spare motor to build a bigger engine down the line, spare headlight motors, spare fresh air motor...the list goes on

As I see it I made a HUGE investment into parts that are NLA. I have already spent close to $300 on original used parts, relays, switches, etc.
Larmo63
That is a killer parts car!!!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif
Rand
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 20 2017, 04:53 AM) *

@Rand

I realize what you are saying, but for $300, I either bought a spare set of wheels if I ever want to accessorize, a rear window with defroster (my 73 currently doesn't have that option), spare original glass, extra latches for top, spare door internals, spare tranny, a spare motor to build a bigger engine down the line, spare headlight motors, spare fresh air motor...the list goes on

As I see it I made a HUGE investment into parts that are NLA. I have already spent close to $300 on original used parts, relays, switches, etc.

I hear you. I picked one up in worse shape a couple years ago for $500. It had SS heat exchangers and Mahle wheels. Instant profit, and the rest was gravy.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 19 2017, 08:32 PM) *

Thanks Eddie!

IPB Image

Phffffffff beginner laugh.gif Now when you have 12 of them stashed at various locations then you just might have an addiction. confused24.gif Not that I would ever have that many rolleyes.gif To be honest if I was closer I would have picked it up at that the price also. The rims (if straight) and lugs are worth more than that.

Unpretentious
I liken it more to being afflicted with warts. Once you get one, you often end up with more. Likely more than you expected, and they can return.

Thought I was cured when I traded away a 914 back in the 70's after having it a couple years. Then, about 20 years ago, the affliction returned. Was up to 5 at one time, but am now down to 4. Note: one is just a parts car, but that doesn't seem to matter to my wife.

I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I do work on my cars, mostly changing parts. I sold 2 to a friend who is a mechanic. Bought the '73 1.7 back after he rebuilt the motor. Am buying back the '74 2 liter next week.

With a limit of 4 (3) cars, one has to be removed. Anyone interested in a dry California signal orange '73 2 liter that is currently off the road?

914_7T3
Uhhhhhhhhh, why are the Mahle's yellow, possible bumble bee?

Bumper looks like '75-'76, but you just never know.

blink.gif

nditiz1
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 20 2017, 01:00 PM) *

Uhhhhhhhhh, why are the Mahle's yellow, possible bumble bee?

Bumper looks like '75-'76, but you just never know.

blink.gif

Some are yellow and some are orange (cream), not real sure about that. I'll have to check the date stamp when I pull them off. The vin is a 75 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.