Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Shaving rain gutters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Well just as I was about to get my 911 off the omnipresent jackstands..Some of my synapses connected and I had an idea. I decided to shave the rain gutters on the 911 from the B pillar back. I have those feathers already in place on the A pillars. I figured this mod may help to the nTH degree.. In all it only took a few hours per side..

grabbed the sawz-all and excised the rain gutter

TimT
cleaned it all up with roloc discs and grinders..

Mueller
you have a cage correct??

supposedly those help in the strength of the shell...but I'm sure you already knew that smile.gif

now I see the cage, LOL
TimT
I posted these pics on pelican a few days ago... and oddly nary a peep... I recall a 3 or 4 page thread about rain gutters recently

here I tacked the remains together..

TimT
The way the roof and quarter are joined appears to be one piece crimped over the other.. with some sealer smeared for weatherproofing..this make some interesting welding welder.gif

here the welding is finished, and ground down
TimT
first app of bodywork.

URY914
You will be MUCH faster now. happy11.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
john rogers
Didn't the factory make some filler pieces for the front of the rain gutters on the 935s that glued in?
TimT
I did this mod thinking of you Paul...

I accuratlely measured the weight of the metal removed, and corrected for the amount of filler added...

my car just got 0.12lbs lighter laugh.gif
TimT
Didn't the factory make some filler pieces for the front of the rain gutters on the 935s that glued in?

yes they did.. I call them feathers.. I have no idea where I picked up that name for them, but yes I have those pieces
J P Stein
I hate it when I have those little inspirations. laugh.gif
Allan
QUOTE (URY914 @ May 20 2005, 06:31 PM)
You will be MUCH faster now. happy11.gif

Paul biggrin.gif

Espesially if you paint it yellow!!!!

Looks really cool, but this "is" a 914 forum you know... biggrin.gif
TimT
but this "is" a 914 forum you know.

hehe

I own and drive a 914..

and I did post this as OT beer.gif
TravisNeff
You know Tim,

As much as you cut apart your 911, it will never become a 914 laugh.gif

Just kidding, it looks great - always liked that look on the Ruf cars.
Aaron Cox
very cool. zois's 'manfred' has glassed in rain channels on the targa. looks seriously mean.

i like it.
how hard to glass them in? idea.gif on an extra top of course wink.gif
MecGen
Tim
Hands down way cool smilie_pokal.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Jeroen
cool!
MecGen
Hi
Forgot to ask....have you thought about leadding?
I have a friend that did some of it, I am thinking of killing the banana trims and trying my hands at lead.
Maybe too much weight for a race car ?
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
TimT
have you thought about leadding?

Alot of the bodywork on my car is lead already, from the factory. I dont think I want to learn how to do lead bodywork on the project. Someday Ill learn how to do it
Joe Bob
Hard to lead in a fiberglass top... cool_shades.gif

BTW...we are equal opportunity abusers.... mueba.gif
ChrisFoley
I have a 911 SCCA GT2 customer project at my house.
It came with the gutters already completely removed.
SCCA Rules required them so I made up some repro gutters and tacked them in place before the car got painted.
This year SCCA changed the rule and gutters are no longer required on GT cars. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.