Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Shift Ball Fix or Junk?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
A buddy gave me this shift ball today and the clear plastic over the shift pattern is all cracked/ crazed. The cracks do not appear to go all the way through and actually look like surface cracks but not sure?

Has anybody got any first hand experience fixing these?

Or is it even fixable? Clear plastic replaceable?

Look for another shift ball?

Any help appreciated

Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Why even try to fix it which is impossible when you can get one from 914Rubber.

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Bump-Shift-K...hifter-knob.htm
mepstein
I have restored a couple. Same as any other plastic part. Fine sandpaper to very fine to compounds on a buffing wheel. May not look new but some patina on an original part isn’t bad. If it doesn’t work or look the way you want, just use it until you get a better one.

At worst, you have 20 minutes into the restore.
DM_2000
For this kind of thing in general, the pattern is molded on the back of the plastic then the grooves painted.
burton73
I do plastics (acrylics and Polyesters) for a living for 43 years. That is the worst piece of crazed acrylic that I have ever seen. Get a new one or a reject second from 914rubber

Pictures of 2x2x2 Lucite with colors cast to the sides and 5 x 5 x 4” clear blocks of Lucite I laminated yesterday.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Well, not that I wouldn't mind selling you one, but you can try wet sanding it. I wonder if you filled with CA (superglue) if it would fill in and allow you to sand it down?? Pretty sure it is an acrylic, and they can be polished, so give it a whirl. If it doesn't work I got what you need.
Mark
DM_2000
Something to think about for repair / buy new. What do you get paid an hour if you work overtime at your job? If you can work an extra hour to buy a part, it is better than working 2 hours trying to repair a part.

Save your time for things you can't buy / sub out.
Elliot Cannon
Install it and use it. Just the way it is. smile.gif
Mark Henry
I'd say screw it that one.
Mine has some crazing on it, but nothing as bad as that, when I have some free time or cash I'll just make or buy a new shift knob.
Lucky9146
Thanks all for the info and opinions. Looks like 3 for and 3 against. Tried sanding for a bit and they are deeper than expected. Tried the super glue and could not get it to go down into the cracks and just ended up with super glue finger. smile.gif

Really liked the comment that it was the worst he had seen in 43 years working with acrylics. biggrin.gif

As for time I just thought being original in might be cool to use so gave it a shot.

May run it for a while as is and decide.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2017, 04:41 AM) *

I have restored a couple. Same as any other plastic part. Fine sandpaper to very fine to compounds on a buffing wheel. May not look new but some patina on an original part isn’t bad. If it doesn’t work or look the way you want, just use it until you get a better one.

At worst, you have 20 minutes into the restore.

After my last post I thought WTF.gif I now know it is a $5 part at best and I got it for free, whats the worst that can happen if I take my DA with 220 to it? Lets just say it is not as rounded at the top as it was, then wet 600 came out not that bad, took like 10 min max. Would never have gotten there with just hand sanding.
Thanks again guys! Just going to run it for now.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.