Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 19" x 11 Porsche Carrera wheels with GT Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hi everyone

I can get a really good deal on some Carrera wheels. I was wondering if they would fit my 914 project with GT flares? Rears are 19" x 11. Front 19" x 8.5

Thanks
Dave_Darling
Only if the person who installed your flares put them on really, really, really wide. And even then, I don't know if the offsets will work.

Chances are very very good that the answer is "no".

--DD
mepstein
No but even if they did fit, they would look silly on the car.
Nacho
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 24 2017, 11:39 PM) *

Only if the person who installed your flares put them on really, really, really wide. And even then, I don't know if the offsets will work.

Chances are very very good that the answer is "no".

--DD

Thank you.
McMark
'Factory' flares are for 7s in the front and 9s in the rear. There are fiberglass versions made for 9s and 11s. Or do what I did on this car and widen steel flares to match your wheels.

Regardless of the big-wheel-debate, if you appreciate a lowered car, you can't make that work with 19" wheels. On 19" wheels you will be much higher up, and there's nothing (realistic) you can do about it. If you want to spend 100s of hours redesigning the suspension and body to create room, you could. But realistically a 914 with 19" wheel will look VERY high.
Nacho
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 25 2017, 08:47 AM) *

'Factory' flares are for 7s in the front and 9s in the rear. There are fiberglass versions made for 9s and 11s. Or do what I did on this car and widen steel flares to match your wheels.

Regardless of the big-wheel-debate, if you appreciate a lowered car, you can't make that work with 19" wheels. On 19" wheels you will be much higher up, and there's nothing (realistic) you can do about it. If you want to spend 100s of hours redesigning the suspension and body to create room, you could. But realistically a 914 with 19" wheel will look VERY high.

Cool work making those flares wider! I figured 19"s would be to big and that is not the look I want. So do people using newer 911 wheels and smaller than 19's other than Fuchs only use fronts all the way around?
Andyrew
Unless you stretch your tires pretty heavily I dont see them fitting

10s on the rear would be very tight with standard GT flares. I have about an inch more room than GT flares and I barely fit 18x10s with 295 tires. .

I also painted my wheels black as to piggyback on what Mark said the car would look too tall.
horizontally-opposed
It's not the wheel diameter you need to think about—it's the tire's outer diameter, and Mc McMark is exactly right: Your car will end up sitting higher off the ground, and a +4 conversion (15-inch to 19-inch) is probably 1-3 steps too far due to the tire diameter.

For years, Porsche tires had an OD that, with few exceptions, remained very similar—whether it was a 185/70R15, 215/60R15, 205/55R16, 225/40R18, etc. Then came the move to 19-inch tires with the 997 and 20s with the 991—and the OD has been growing with the cars.

A 914 on 15-inch wheels with 165/80R15s has a tire OD of 25.5 inches.
A 997.2 Carrera on 19-inch wheels has a tire OD of 25.5 (front) and 26 inches (rear).
A 991.2 Carrera on 19-inch wheels has a tire OD of 26.4 (front) and 26.9 inches (rear).

So...997 19s will raise your 914 0.5 inch, while 991 19s will raise it an inch. Yes, you can lower the car to try to make up for that, but you have to go an effective inch lower in the suspension settings to achieve the same height on a 15, 16, 17, or 18 with factory tire sizes. You might be able to go ultra-ultra low profile on the tires, but that may be a recipe for other disasters, like bent or broken wheels. The tire sidewall will also be "squarer" on a 19-inch tire due to its super-low profile. That could create additional clearance issues. Bottom line, whatever the deal on the 19s is, you'll spend the savings trying to adapt them to the car. And tires won't be cheap...
Andyrew
Fyi I run 35 series tires on the rear of my car and its still much taller than stock.
SirAndy
I have a set of Fikse FM10's that i will eventually run on my car. They do require special extra wide flares, as McMark mentioned either in fiberglass or widened steel.

Front:
9x17 with 245-45 tires

Rear:
11x17 with 315-35 tires

IPB Image
Chris914n6
Or extend the spoiler and rockers down to fill in the air gap. The Sheridan spoiler is pretty deep.
Bigger diameter wheels also weight more, which will hurt braking.
But a 914 weights 1000lbs less than the 997 so that much width is overkill anyways.

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 25 2017, 06:47 AM) *

SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 25 2017, 11:16 AM) *
Bigger diameter wheels also weight more, which will hurt braking.

Mine (posted above) are lighter than a stock 5.5" steel wheel, and that's including the tires on them.
biggrin.gif
whitetwinturbo
...........go for it....BUT sometimes too much turns out to be "too much" confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
I have 17 inch wheels on mine (I really like them) and some people think even that's too big on a 914. Pishaaw! What do they know. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.